Weird TDP issue on a 3080

ozzpala

Hi

My 3080 is a stock Gigabyte Vision OC, Issue im having is MSI Afterburner is reporting 115% spikes on my Power Usage and the same percentage is recorded with HWINFO too. In this instance this morning I only overshot by 5% meaning my TDP was 105% however the power used was only at 340 watts? 3080's reference are rated for 350W.

GPU-Z is reporting that this card has a Max of 370W However ive never seen anything that high.

Its the TDP normalized that is reporting the higher figure however afterburner also hooks the same % so I presume thats the one I should be looking at

gpureport.JPG

gpuz.gif

3 hours ago, ozzpala said:

Hi

My 3080 is a stock Gigabyte Vision OC, Issue im having is MSI Afterburner is reporting 115% spikes on my Power Usage and the same percentage is recorded with HWINFO too. In this instance this morning I only overshot by 5% meaning my TDP was 105% however the power used was only at 340 watts? 3080's reference are rated for 350W.

GPU-Z is reporting that this card has a Max of 370W However ive never seen anything that high.

Its the TDP normalized that is reporting the higher figure however afterburner also hooks the same % so I presume thats the one I should be looking at

gpureport.JPG

gpuz.gif

TDP Normalized has nothing to do with TDP.

It's too complicated for me to explain. I've explained it multiple times on the Nvidia reddit, techpowerup and overclock.net and elsewhere.

TDP Normalized can cause a power throttle but normalized does NOT respond to values below 100% with respect to throttling (it only responds to 100% and a normalized value higher than 100% with how far the TDP slider itself goes past 100%! (which goes up to the BIOS "maximum" limits, depending on what they are coded to be)