Best Phone/OS

Illumotion

Hi!

My name is Hugo and i'm in 7th grade(13 years).

My teacher said that we should do Poll and than show a diagram on that poll.

So please Help!

Thanks!

If it makes a difference, your results may be just a little bit biased compared to general consumers. I doubt we are going to get many votes for the iPhone here...I sure didn't vote for it.

Good luck with your project :)

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Android customization FTW! HTC one and GS4 are head to head but I'd have to choose GS4 because it's the next best thing to a Nexus devices when it comes to rooting, flashing ROMs and support, which are very important things for me.

Hardcore android user, and voted for Samsung Galaxy S4 because of the removable back plate and expandable memory

Good luck with your project

The title of this thread is flame bait imo. I'm a firm believer that the best phone is one that meets your needs and is a device that you personally like. I prefer Android but not everyone likes it and I understand that. Different strokes for different folks.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I voted for my HTC One. I absolutely love it and mine is a pre production, wrong region phone (no LTE here on my carrier). It's just an awesome device

Sorry if I start an argument but why do people love the HTC One so much, I just can't see it. Have you seen the S4 ads? All those features? Sure their gimmicks, but their awesome and good to have, and imagine all the potential app possibilities.  Also better performance and overall better camera and micro sd slots and removable batteries and more accessories. The S4 just screams FUN while the HTC just seems like an ordinary phone, made by a company just trying to play it safe.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

No Lumia 920? I am shocked and Appalled sir

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

Sorry if I start an argument but why do people love the HTC One so much, I just can't see it. Have you seen the S4 ads? All those features? Sure their gimmicks, but their awesome and good to have, and imagine all the potential app possibilities.  Also better performance and overall better camera and micro sd slots and removable batteries and more accessories. The S4 just screams FUN while the HTC just seems like an ordinary phone, made by a company just trying to play it safe.

Because some people actually appreciate good craftmanship as opposed to the melted down action man plastic Samsung use. Their build quality is atrocious. You can literally see the mould in where they injected the plastic on the corner of the S4. Try holding the back of any Samsung phone to the light and you'll notice it doesn't reflect uniformly, it's all wavy. Now look at the Lumia 920, a beautiful, unibody, machined polycarbonate device. Look at the HTC One, beautiful unibody enclosure made entirely of metal.

If I drop 700-800$ on an unlocked device I expect the very best materials and build quality, The fact that Samsung pour all their money in marketing and crappy gimmicky features should tell you something about the quality of the actual device itself.

Edit: did you really say that last sentence? HTC playing it safe? You HAVE to be trolling. The S4 is IDENTICAL to the S3. If anyone is playing it safe and boring it's Samsung. Clearly you have no understanding of how much work went into desiging the HTC One.

3x Dell U2412M |Silverstone FT03 | Maximus V Gene | 3770K @ 4.5Ghz 1.2V | SLI GTX780 | Mushkin Ridgeback 8GB 1600 CL7 | Corsair AX760

Because some people actually appreciate good craftmanship as opposed to the melted down action man plastic Samsung use. Their build quality is atrocious. You can literally see the mould in where they injected the plastic on the corner of the S4. Try holding the back of any Samsung phone to the light and you'll notice it doesn't reflect uniformly, it's all wavy. Now look at the Lumia 920, a beautiful, unibody, machined polycarbonate device. Look at the HTC One, beautiful unibody enclosure made entirely of metal.

If I drop 700-800$ on an unlocked device I expect the very best materials and build quality, The fact that Samsung pour all their money in marketing and crappy gimmicky features should tell you something about the quality of the actual device itself.

Go to youtube search drop test. Phones still crack, no matter what gorrilla shit you use, or aluminium/plastic crap. (Oddly I can't find any videos for htc one drop test :o) I don't see why you won't want "gimmicky features". This is technology, not your living room chair or your branded handbag. I want features, I want the advantage and something that does more and does it better. I don't give a shit if its made of diamond, I won't even buy it for 10 bucks. Also I hope you realise what you're giving up for this aluminium body, and that includes the precious sd card...

I'll just stop here, in the end of the day, it comes down to what you want. If you're old and probably don't play alot of games, or watch alot of movies the HTC one might be the one for you. ( HAHAHAHAHAHA) But for a teenager like me, its a no brainer :P. My countries teenage population is 50% samsung 40% apple and 10% everything else.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

Go to youtube search drop test. Phones still crack, no matter what gorrilla shit you use, or aluminium/plastic crap. (Oddly I can't find any videos for htc one drop test :o) I don't see why you won't want "gimmicky features". This is technology, not your living room chair or your branded handbag. I want features, I want the advantage and something that does more and does it better. I don't give a shit if its made of diamond, I won't even buy it for 10 bucks. Also I hope you realise what you're giving up for this aluminium body, and that includes the precious sd card...

I'll just stop here, in the end of the day, it comes down to what you want. If you're old and probably don't play alot of games, or watch alot of movies the HTC one might be the one for you. ( HAHAHAHAHAHA) But for a teenager like me, its a no brainer :P. My countries teenage population is 50% samsung 40% apple and 10% everything else.

The "feautures" samsung keep pushing out are completely useless and remove valuable dev time on what could be used to actually improving the OS. It doesnt surprise me that several reviewers reporting the S4 being laggy with the S-feautures turned on. Also SD cards....seriously? 2000 called, they want their storage method back. SD card readers are just another point of failure in the device. Internal memory is faster, more robust, plus the manufacturer knows exactly how the NAND will perform, the list goes on and on.

No offense but it shows you're a teenager, your clearly have no understanding of the effort that goes into producing a phone. If you did you'd realise how little samsung spent making theirs. The HTC One is a triumph in design, it's made of metal and yet it weighs the same as the S4. It's also just as, if not more durable that the S4. Bulding a phone that survives drops is NOT achievement by any strech of the imagination. Just take a look at the N9 from 2011, falls from a 16th floor balcony and survives

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87063

How is the HTC one not just as good for games? The only difference in performance from the S4 is the slighly lower clocked GPU (400Mhz vs. 450), the SoC is identical to the S4. The display is better calibrated than the S4, none of that oversaturated BS. But I guess for someone like you that might seem appealing. Also if you're implying I'm old....I'm 19.

Linus back me up here

The "feautures" samsung keep pushing out are completely useless and remove valuable dev time on what could be used to actually improving the OS. It doesnt surprise me that several reviewers reporting the S4 being laggy with the S-feautures turned on. Also SD cards....seriously? 2000 called, they want their storage method back. SD card readers are just another point of failure in the device. Internal memory is faster, more robust, plus the manufacturer knows exactly how the NAND will perform, the list goes on and on.

No offense but it shows you're a teenager, your clearly have no understanding of the effort that goes into producing a phone. If you did you'd realise how little samsung spent making theirs. The HTC One is a triumph in design, it's made of metal and yet it weighs the same as the S4. It's also just as, if not more durable that the S4. Bulding a phone that survives drops is NOT achievement by any strech of the imagination. Just take a look at the N9 from 2011, falls from a 16th floor balcony and survives

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=87063

How is the HTC one not just as good for games? The only difference in performance from the S4 is the slighly lower clocked GPU (400Mhz vs. 450), the SoC is identical to the S4. The display is better calibrated than the S4, none of that oversaturated BS. But I guess for someone like you that might seem appealing. Also if you're implying I'm old....I'm 19.

Linus back me up here

Once again you nag about build quality when clearly no one cares. The phone still gonna crack and scratch and dent like nobodies business unless you get a case, which is wise. Also what do you mean same weight. The HTC one is such a fatass. Just put a silicon case on the s4 and now its still slimmer but more durable by 10x. They both have roughly the same dimensions, but the samsung still has a larger screen and is lighter. If you don't want to use an SD card, fine don't use one, I mean extra storage space who needs it right?. If you don't want S features fine, turn them off. But some of the features are really useful if you think about it. Just like how people thought the ipad was an oversized phone, but what now???

Like I said, this is technology. You pay for more, not the other way around. You pay for the specs, the hardware. Design is more of a subjective thing, I like the s4s design more. You like the aluminium finish of the HTC one more. Nobodies wrong.

Android all the way and Gallaxy S4 YaY! I love the Touch Wiz experience and S Planner and the extra features and the on off menu and the SD card slot and the replaceable battery and the translator and the keyboard...

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

Once again you nag about build quality when clearly no one cares. The phone still gonna crack and scratch and dent like nobodies business unless you get a case, which is wise. Also what do you mean same weight. The HTC one is such a fatass. Just put a silicon case on the s4 and now its still slimmer but more durable by 10x. They both have roughly the same dimensions, but the samsung still has a larger screen and is lighter. If you don't want to use an SD card, fine don't use one, I mean extra storage space who needs it right?. If you don't want S features fine, turn them off. But some of the features are really useful if you think about it. Just like how people thought the ipad was an oversized phone, but what now???

Like I said, this is technology. You pay for more, not the other way around. You pay for the specs, the hardware. Design is more of a subjective thing, I like the s4s design more. You like the aluminium finish of the HTC one more. Nobodies wrong.

Words cannot descirbe how much of an idiot you are. Clearly YOU dont care about build quality, and that's fine, but it pisses me off to see people like you put samsung on a pedestal they don't deserve to be on.

Samsung is a multi billion dollar company and yet they make the most passionless phones of any manufacturer. They simply don't care, and it really shows with the S4.

The S4 is lighter by 7g, hardly something anyone will notice. Both the lumia 920 and the HTC One are more durable than the S4 so there's very little need to put them in a case to begin with. The S4 uses the lowest common denominator plastics available, the cheapest crap there is.

Are you seriously comparing the S-features of the S4 with the iPad? give me one reason why I would want to use ANY of the stupid shit samsung put on their phone. They are gimmicks solely aimed at idiots like you who will look at the spec sheet and think WOW the S4 can do so much more than the HTC One it has to be the better phone! Sure they look cool when you show them off at a party...but thats it, after that you'll forget about them. Yes, thankfully you can turn them off, but what you fail to understand is that Samsung sacrificed valuable dev time in order to implement these features. Dev time that could be used to improve the skin, improve low light camera performance, invest some time in designing it instead of handing it to a bunch of lawyers and making sure they can't get sued.

You're contradicting yourself when  you say "you pay for the specs, the hardware". If you don't think the HTC One costs more to manufacture then you are deluded. Samsungs profit margins are massive, to the point where they are approaching apple. Whichever way you look at it, you're getting a better deal buying the One. Yes you're right, design is subjective. How you find the "design" of the S4 better is beyond me though. It's kinda sad really because both the S3 and S4 were never "designed", they were shaped by lawyers so as to make sure Samsung don't infringe on any Apple patents.

And finally, if you want extra storage space...buy a higher capacity phone! You'll get faster transfer speeds, and a more robust file system. You can't install large games like Asphalt 7 on the SD card and with just 9gb of free space on the internal memory you're going to fill it up fast. Even with an expensive class 10 SD card you won't get anywhere near the same transfer rates as with internal memory.

EDIT : I just want to point out I'm not a Samsung hater, I think some of their other products are absolutely stunning. Take the Samsung Series 9 laptop...that thing is drool worthy...or their line of TVs....also stunning. I just can't help but feel that they are putting very little effort in the mobile space, which is understandable given they are dominating the market.

Words cannot descirbe how much of an idiot you are. Clearly YOU dont care about build quality, and that's fine, but it pisses me off to see people like you put samsung on a pedestal they don't deserve to be on.

Samsung is a multi billion dollar company and yet they make the most passionless phones of any manufacturer. They simply don't care, and it really shows with the S4.

The S4 is lighter by 7g, hardly something anyone will notice. Both the lumia 920 and the HTC One are more durable than the S4 so there's very little need to put them in a case to begin with. The S4 uses the lowest common denominator plastics available, the cheapest crap there is.

Are you seriously comparing the S-features of the S4 with the iPad? give me one reason why I would want to use ANY of the stupid shit samsung put on their phone. They are gimmicks solely aimed at idiots like you who will look at the spec sheet and think WOW the S4 can do so much more than the HTC One it has to be the better phone! Sure they look cool when you show them off at a party...but thats it, after that you'll forget about them. Yes, thankfully you can turn them off, but what you fail to understand is that Samsung sacrificed valuable dev time in order to implement these features. Dev time that could be used to improve the skin, improve low light camera performance, invest some time in designing it instead of handing it to a bunch of lawyers and making sure they can't get sued.

You're contradicting yourself when  you say "you pay for the specs, the hardware". If you don't think the HTC One costs more to manufacture then you are deluded. Samsungs profit margins are massive, to the point where they are approaching apple. Whichever way you look at it, you're getting a better deal buying the One. Yes you're right, design is subjective. How you find the "design" of the S4 better is beyond me though. It's kinda sad really because both the S3 and S4 were never "designed", they were shaped by lawyers so as to make sure Samsung don't infringe on any Apple patents.

And finally, if you want extra storage space...buy a higher capacity phone! You'll get faster transfer speeds, and a more robust file system. You can't install large games like Asphalt 7 on the SD card and with just 9gb of free space on the internal memory you're going to fill it up fast. Even with an expensive class 10 SD card you won't get anywhere near the same transfer rates as with internal memory.

EDIT : I just want to point out I'm not a Samsung hater, I think some of their other products are absolutely stunning. Take the Samsung Series 9 laptop...that thing is drool worthy...or their line of TVs....also stunning. I just can't help but feel that they are putting very little effort in the mobile space, which is understandable given they are dominating the market.

Once again you threw away all my explanations into the trash. Clearly the S4 wasn't meant for you. We are two different people with personalities clashing. Neither is a better phone. If you are like me, you don't care about this cute little thing you are going on about "passion" or how much effort they took to make the phone. You talk about build quality but I just strap on a case and thats fine now. Its not that much heavier or thicker than the HTC one so don't complain about bulk. I want SD card. 

And when I say pay for more features, I mean features. I don't care if the once costs more to manufacture, I mean what you get from the shop. Yes, I read off the specs sheet. Also stop assuming the S features are useless. They're not. I use them, my parents do too. Who knows? Maybe app developers can find a use for all those sensors. I don't know about you, but this is the scenario to me: The S4 has more features (Removable battery, sd card, S features) than the HTC one, hence is better. There are many strong points on the HTC one which I don't find important but you do. Thats why this "argument" will never come to an end. I respect both phones and I just asked why people prefer the HTC one. At first I though it was useless, but know I understand why people like it by looking at your perspective.

But thanks for being and absolute dickhead. As you can see, I never tried to bitch you and actually tried to end it on my second reply but the way you replied was so douchy like that I had to reply. Why are you so proud of your new phone you arrogant piece of shit? I never even said that it was bad and called it useless piece of crap, I just said I think the S4 was better.

Once again you threw away all my explanations into the trash. Clearly the S4 wasn't meant for you. We are two different people with personalities clashing. Neither is a better phone. If you are like me, you don't care about this cute little thing you are going on about "passion" or how much effort they took to make the phone. You talk about build quality but I just strap on a case and thats fine now. Its not that much heavier or thicker than the HTC one so don't complain about bulk. I want SD card.

And when I say pay for more features, I mean features. I don't care if the once costs more to manufacture, I mean what you get from the shop. Yes, I read off the specs sheet. Also stop assuming the S features are useless. They're not. I use them, my parents do too. Who knows? Maybe app developers can find a use for all those sensors. I don't know about you, but this is the scenario to me: The S4 has more features (Removable battery, sd card, S features) than the HTC one, hence is better. There are many strong points on the HTC one which I don't find important but you do. Thats why this "argument" will never come to an end. I respect both phones and I just asked why people prefer the HTC one. At first I though it was useless, but know I understand why people like it by looking at your perspective.

But thanks for being and absolute dickhead. As you can see, I never tried to bitch you and actually tried to end it on my second reply but the way you replied was so douchy like that I had to reply. Why are you so proud of your new phone you arrogant piece of shit? I never even said that it was bad and called it useless piece of crap, I just said I think the S4 was better.

Look at every single review for the HTC One and you'll find that all of them say the S4 is inferior. One of the most trusted reviews in tech, Anand Lai Shrimpi says the same, the One is the better phone. You keep talking about how the S features are useful yet you haven't given a single example on why. Removable battery? Are you fucking kidding me? Why the hell would you go out and buy a replacement battery when A, its only compatible with the phone you bought. B. when you replace the battery you lose all context of what you were working on. C. there are TONS of usb batteries ranging from the size of credit cards you can fit in your wallet to massive bricks that can hold up to 5000Mah+.

Once again you fail to understand that modular design is DEAD. Intergrated and non-removable IS the way forward. People like you are merely hindering progress. Don't take my word for it, take it from every single person who compared the two. Look at what Myriam Joire says about the S4 and you'll understand why the HTC One is better. You keep talking about SD cards but you haven't given a single reason WHY you need it. if you need high capacity just buy a higher capacity phone, in the end the cost of buying a 64gb class 10 SD card is the same. I can understand where you're coming from, the nerd in me would like an SD card, but at the same time I have the mental capacity to understand that SD cards are dead.

Oh and BTW...I don't own an HTC one, but I have used both the S4 and the One a decent amount. I own a grey Lumia 920.

My problem is that Samsung don't deserve to be the dominant player in the mobile space, they put the least amount of effort into making their devices out of any other manufacturer, yet people like you keep buying them. That's not opinion...its FACT.

Read the Verge, read Engadget, read Anandtech. Educate yourself before saying dumb shit like the S4 and the One are on par, they are not.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6747/htc-one-review

http://www.theverge.com/products/one-2013/6863

http://www.theverge.com/products/galaxy-s4/6927

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/26/engadget-mobile-podcast-178-04-26-13/

Ok people stop fighting! Everyone has the right to do whatever with the money they've worked hard for. Don't bash S4 owners for owning an inferior phone according to the articles which I do not personally trust word by word because everyone is unique in the brain. The same thing goes for the HTC One. I am happy that Giac has come to a conclusion that the HTC One is better for 'him' because he has given the S4 and the One a try and made a decision. As for me you know I have the S4 and I have tried out the S3, S4, One X and One before I actually made my final decision on which phone to buy. Once again, I base my decision only on my experience. I read tech articles to inform myself on the phones. Even the writers have their own preferences, articles stating one phone is better than another does not register as credible in my brain if you get where I am coming from.

I use Smart Stay to not allow the screen to dim when I am reading on my phone, I use Smart Scroll to scroll up and down pages when I am reaching the end of the screen, I use Multi Window to watch YouTube videos and chat at the same time, Air View to open drop down menus on websites, Air Gesture to turn on my phone without actually touching it to check the time, S Planner to organize all my events and tasks and the widget for one of my home screens because it shows the calender by month, S Translator to translate from one language to English when I travel, SD card slot to put in my ~75GB of music and photos shared between device and SD card because I have the 16GB model. Also in my experience, I found that I did not like much the Sense UI's look and feel and HTC's placement of buttons.

Everything I have said above can be rendered completely useless to someone who does not use the S4 the same way as I do.

All phones are great depending on what perspective you are coming from.

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

Hard to say. Imo, they all have their strenghts and weaknesses. None of them is perfect and what is good for you could be not as ideal for someone else. I love my personal phone, but i didn't vote.

My current dream phone would be a HTC One with CM 10.1 and a removeable battery... but I've said that before.

I'm also very interested in Ubuntu for phone and Jolla's Sailfish OS.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

Hard to say. Imo, they all have their strenghts and weaknesses. None of them is perfect and what is good for you could be not as ideal for someone else. I love my personal phone, but i didn't vote.

My current dream phone would be a HTC One with CM 10.1 and a removeable battery... but I've said that before.

I'm also very interested in Ubuntu for phone and Jolla's Sailfish OS.

Jolla is taking forever to develop. Which is a shame because I'm looking forward to flashing it on my N9

In my opinion, the HTC One is as good as it gets right now. You just have to root it and install a stock Android ROM to get rid of the yucky sense stuff.

i7 3770K @4.3Ghz, H100, 16GB RAM, Windforce 780Ti & 680, HyperX 3K 120GB SSD, Seagate 500GB, WD 2TB Black, Asus Z-77 V-PRO, Some ODD, 3X 24" 1080P

I can't vote for anything because I think each OS has their pros and cons. I'm currently using Windows Phone OS, but also really enjoy Android. I also think IOS has it's good and can understand why big portion of people like it. 

As for phones I'm really looking foward to getting a HTC One and the new Nokia "Catwalk". I can't say specifically which is the best phone because I want to try them all...I'm fickle that way.

I used iOS until the 3GS, then switched over to Android. Best decision in my life.

The transition was a little difficult, but once you get used to it, it's a breeze and refreshing experience.

Not to mention, that I like Android devices a lot more (Samsung and HTC so far)

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900