My External HDD acting weird

Go to solution Solved by FRD,
Just now, Krofter said:

Just a random question. As far as i know, there isn't but.....is there a way for me to repair it?
I have got most of the important stuff off it. So If i can repair it and continue using, it would be great.

Unfortunately there's no way to fix it. It's a spinning drive with precise components. Usually when a HDD is defect, there is pretty much no use for it anymore.

Good thing that you took your important files. Just keep using it as long as it still works, you just don't need to be surprised anymore that it will be dead one day sooner or later.

I have a 2TB external HDD by Toshiba. Amazon Link of product

I have been using it for about 4 years. O never used it much, just for occasional storage of stuff.

I once tried to play warzone through it, as my lap only has a 250gb SSD (this may/may not help in diagnosing the problem)

Anyway, from yesterday onwards, I cannot essentially copy anything FROM the drive. It bursts for some moment but then essentially dies down.(Image 1)

image.png.09a6ddd42bfe0ab4a217d35ef4ee2696.png

But I am able to copy anything and everything INTO the drive at almost decent speeds, still it dies down for a second and raise backup immediately, unlike the READ speeds

I looked in task manager, but nothing major is running that can potentially cause this, but even at this point, the drive usage is full, but there is ZERO I/Ops
image.png.6bc607317b20fcef8e39719a1cf4fa37.png

For reference, this drive had consistent speeds for read and write of about 80-100Mbps during the initial days.
Here are the other resource usages, if it helps

image.png.e6a0e42f8e6ec829c0e0284840e61d21.png

The solutions I have tried:
1. Excluded the dive from Windows Defender antivirus
2. Formatted the entire drive ones, still this is the state

Any advice would be welcome.

_____________EDITS and UPDATE_______________

This is what shows when my transfer fails completely

image.png.fb3aa6bff54a1f9eed38eecc8f692fe5.png

I have another External HDD also by Toshiba  Amazon link of that drive, I'll try some tests with that to to rule out is the issue is with
1. cable 
2. Laptop 
3. Hdd itself

I'll update the results here.
______RESULTS___________

1. cable : Swapped the cable, still has the problem
2. laptop : Transferred files to and from the second HDD with 100+Mbps speed - so not the problem of laptop or ports
3. Hdd itself : So the problem rules down to the Hdd itself. 

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Edited by Krofter
look for ___EDIT____ and ____RESULTS_____

Try to make a Linux live USB, Then boot it and try to copy something Into the drive.

If it doesn't work, Go to the BIOS and see any settings related to Hard Drives and Google them,.

If this also doesn't work it's probably a hardware problem.

How to make Linux live USB : https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

5 minutes ago, Theextremerobotman said:

Try to make a Linux live USB, Then boot it and try to copy something Into the drive.

If it doesn't work, Go to the BIOS and see any settings related to Hard Drives and Google them,.

If this also doesn't work it's probably a hardware problem.

How to make Linux live USB : https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

As i mentioned, i have been encountering this problem from yesterday only, until then, i was able to do everything just fine.
The speeds were a but low, and i had some stutters form some time, but yesterday, it almost stopped working completely -  the READ part at least. WRITE is working OK (for now)

Sounds like the drive is dying and unable to read things. As mentioned confirm on another system.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Sounds like the drive is dying and unable to read things. As mentioned confirm on another system.

I have updated the problem with the results of the tests. The problem seems to be of the HDD from the results, neither of the Laptop, nor of the cable.😢😢

Replacement needed then.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Replacement needed then.

Replacement as in, I will need to discard this and buy a new one?

Correct

F@H

GPD Win 2

You should try CrystalDiskInfo and see the results. It might be that it got bad sectors or waiting sectors.

If I were you I would backup your important files soon, before it actually dies. It seems like you have to replace it.

45 minutes ago, FRD said:

You should try CrystalDiskInfo and see the results. It might be that it got bad sectors or waiting sectors.

If I were you I would backup your important files soon, before it actually dies. It seems like you have to replace it.

Just a random question. As far as i know, there isn't but.....is there a way for me to repair it?
I have got most of the important stuff off it. So If i can repair it and continue using, it would be great.

No, you don't repair a hard drive, and certainly not without specialized tools.

F@H

GPD Win 2

Just now, Krofter said:

Unfortunately there's no way to fix it. It's a spinning drive with precise components. Usually when a HDD is defect, there is pretty much no use for it anymore.

Good thing that you took your important files. Just keep using it as long as it still works, you just don't need to be surprised anymore that it will be dead one day sooner or later.

Thanks for all your help and input. Now I have a 2TB write only HDD. 🤣🤣😬😭