Windows 11 and Gaming

Zodler

I'm completely surprised by Windows 11's performance with games.

So I have

1- Asus ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI

2- ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3070 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 V2 (switch set to Quiet profile)

With Windows 10 Pro which was a clean new install my graphics card was at 76c temperature during gaming. So I thought this is normal since I put the GPU hardware switch to quiet and not performance.

Now under Windows 11 with the same game settings my GPU temp reaches 66c max. It runs 10 degrees cooler! The only different thing I did this time is that I didn't install some of the ASUS utilities in Windows 11. I still installed Asus GPU Tweak.

Also the screen tearing is non existent now! Very surprised. My monitor is not G-Sync and I only enabled V-Sync and I had tearing in Windows 10. Now with Windows 11 it is smooth, no tearing.

Unless the cause was one of those Asus utilities, I doubt it, I'm quite surprised by this much improvement. I was thinking of water cooling my GPU or changing the fans or buying the new GeForce RTX 3070 Noctua Edition. No need any more! Since it runs cooler, it is more quiet also. I'm finally happy with the GPU performance and noise.

It is a good idea for the linus tech tips guys to compare the same games under Windows 10 and 11 for an episode.

13 minutes ago, Zodler said:

I'm completely surprised by Windows 11's performance with games.

So I have

1- Asus ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI

2- ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3070 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 V2 (switch set to Quiet profile)

With Windows 10 Pro which was a clean new install my graphics card was at 76c temperature during gaming. So I thought this is normal since I put the GPU hardware switch to quiet and not performance.

Now under Windows 11 with the same game settings my GPU temp reaches 66c max. It runs 10 degrees cooler! The only different thing I did this time is that I didn't install some of the ASUS utilities in Windows 11. I still installed Asus GPU Tweak.

Also the screen tearing is non existent now! Very surprised. My monitor is not G-Sync and I only enabled V-Sync and I had tearing in Windows 10. Now with Windows 11 it is smooth, no tearing.

Unless the cause was one of those Asus utilities, I doubt it, I'm quite surprised by this much improvement. I was thinking of water cooling my GPU or changing the fans or buying the new GeForce RTX 3070 Noctua Edition. No need any more! Since it runs cooler, it is more quiet also. I'm finally happy with the GPU performance and noise.

It is a good idea for the linus tech tips guys to compare the same games under Windows 10 and 11 for an episode.

They did this here.

Thanks. I will watch it later but that's like beta version and old.

1 hour ago, Zodler said:

Thanks. I will watch it later but that's like beta version and old.

The beta channel build 22000.194 is what got released as the production version. 

For me it's a major improvement. I see 2 major improvements with Windows 11 gaming for me. Lower GPU temp (less fan noise) and no screen tearing.

These are real life experiences that I can see. Little differences in the performances and all those charts are not important to me and are not things that affect me.