CPU Upgrade Question

So I'm using an AMD 3700x cpu currently with a Radeon RX 6600 XT gpu. I primarily game and simple multitasking. Should I get a 5600x or just stick with the 3700x? Would I see any performance boost swapping over, or at least enough to justify doing it?

5 minutes ago, TravisTea said:

Should I get a 5600x or just stick with the 3700x?

if you have to ask, just don't do it?

you'll only benefit if your task is single thread limited

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Personally, I would save the money that I would spend on a new CPU and just dump all that money into a GPU if you can find one and want a noticeable performance shift, especially with gaming specifically.

1 minute ago, KhakiHat said:

Personally, I would save the money that I would spend on a new CPU and just dump all that money into a GPU if you can find one and want a noticeable performance shift, especially with gaming specifically.

I got the 6600 XT about a month ago (Newegg shuffle) because there isn't anything else available. Its been a solid 1080p 144hz/fps card. I just didn't know if I could squeeze more out of it. I'm hoping this card lasts me through this shortage..

1 minute ago, TravisTea said:

I got the 6600 XT about a month ago (Newegg shuffle) because there isn't anything else available. Its been a solid 1080p 144hz/fps card. I just didn't know if I could squeeze more out of it. I'm hoping this card lasts me through this shortage..

What kind of storage device are you using? If you aren't using an SSD, that's another minor improvement cost that can really getting a system running even in just regular task I've noticed.

3 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

What kind of storage device are you using? If you aren't using an SSD, that's another minor improvement cost that can really getting a system running even in just regular task I've noticed.

SSD's. Using an NVME as my primary and an additional 4tb worth of SSD space for games and files.

If you just want a new toy I would say do it. I started with a 3600XT because I couldn't get a 5600X.. but  when I did get a 5600X I was pretty stoked. It is a really good CPU. Just the way it operates is so much better not even counting the IPC gains. I bought a 5900X because I couldn't get a GPU lol.. and I wanted 5GHz or better because I was home and bored. 😄

I don't think you would be disappointed..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X