PSU UPGRADE IN DELL OPTIPLEX 9020

So one of my friend has a dell optiplex 9020 with a i5-4750....he wants to a GPU upgrade...to something like a 1050TI or a 1650...but as usual prebuilt pcs have bad psu....or small capacity psu.....the PSU in this pc is a 290w psu

so can a PSU upgrade be done on this pc?

if so what are the PSUs that can be used for the i5 and lets say a 1650......this pc has a hard drive and a ssd....are there any psus less than 60$ that can be installed in this pc?

That should be fine for a 1050 or 1650. That PSU and board can easily provide 75 watts thru the slot.

PSUs in those systems are usually proprietary, so an upgrade isn't going to be very doable. 

I've run 75w cards with a 4th gen i5 on a 240w psu before and me and the PC are still alive, so 50 watts more? He's fine. 

Any graphics card that can be powered through PCIe should work fine. My 9020 MT has the 290w PSU with an RX560, and a wireless WATT meter claims 120w at AC power line during a real gaming load, which corrected for it's known inaccuracy, is about 150w-160w. The PSU air out the back doesn't get too warm when the system is full load. So basically you can load up an Optiplex 9020 with lots of upgrades, including a 75w graphics card, and it should be fine on the stock 290w PSU.

Quote my reply or I won't see your reply. It's the single overturning left arrow under every message.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 9:05 AM, LloydLynx said:

Any graphics card that can be powered through PCIe should work fine. My 9020 MT has the 290w PSU with an RX560, and a wireless WATT meter claims 120w at AC power line during a real gaming load, which corrected for it's known inaccuracy, is about 150w-160w. The PSU air out the back doesn't get too warm when the system is full load. So basically you can load up an Optiplex 9020 with lots of upgrades, including a 75w graphics card, and it should be fine on the stock 290w PSU.

oh...ok thanks!

• 2 years later...
On 9/28/2021 at 10:35 PM, LloydLynx said:

If I were to want to buy a new psu, what kind would be good and compatible with the mobo?

23 hours ago, Max37773 said:

If I were to want to buy a new psu, what kind would be good and compatible with the mobo?

You need one of these 24 pin to 8 pin adapters. And it's not just a pin reduction, the Dell motherboard actually needs voltages that standard ATX doesn't supply, so this active adapter is necessary.

Literally any standard ATX PSU will work as long as you have the adapter. Since posting that in 2021, I've gotten a CX600 PSU I found in someones garage and bought that adapter so now I have power for a big graphics card. Works great. Though I wouldn't recommend buying a CX600 since it's an old design and not the best quality, I'm only using it because it was free.

Quote my reply or I won't see your reply. It's the single overturning left arrow under every message.

5 hours ago, LloydLynx said:

You need one of these 24 pin to 8 pin adapters. And it's not just a pin reduction, the Dell motherboard actually needs voltages that standard ATX doesn't supply, so this active adapter is necessary.

Literally any standard ATX PSU will work as long as you have the adapter. Since posting that in 2021, I've gotten a CX600 PSU I found in someone’s garage and bought that adapter so now I have power for a big graphics card. Works great. Though I wouldn't recommend buying a CX600 since it's an old design and not the best quality, I'm only using it because it was free.

Would you know which one would be better to get. A Corsair rm750w fully modular with all the necessary cords for  $47 or a Corsair tx750w non modular for 47 dollars

43 minutes ago, Max37773 said:

A Corsair rm750w fully modular with all the necessary cords for  $47 or a Corsair tx750w non modular for 47 dollars

TX750w is almost 15 years old so no, not that one. Which RM750 is it. Does it have orange caracters on the label? If yes, it's a red flag too because it's 10 years old.

rm750-2013.jpg.c7122690d4e0beb8619ef9d9c8cf97a1.jpg

10 hours ago, --SID-- said:

TX750w is almost 15 years old so no, not that one. Which RM750 is it. Does it have orange caracters on the label? If yes, it's a red flag too because it's 10 years old.

rm750-2013.jpg.c7122690d4e0beb8619ef9d9c8cf97a1.jpg

IMG_2804.thumb.png.8a668de772800c99704111db303e09bc.pngThis is it

Just now, Max37773 said:

IMG_2804.thumb.png.8a668de772800c99704111db303e09bc.pngThis is it

Cords aren’t in that picture but there is cords

This is a large waste of money to upgrade a PSU when an upgrade is not needed. It kinda defeats the whole point of the budget aspect of the Dell Optiplex builds.

What I would suggest instead is simply using it with the current power supply. Even the highest end Intel Core I7s of the era had a max power consumption of around 80w. There's PLENTY of headroom on a 290w PSU.

In fact, personally I feel comfortable recommending a 120w/130w GPU like a Gtx 1060/1660 with a 2x SATA to a 6 or 8 pin. Now, don't go crazy and try to use those adapters with a 200+ watt card or you actually could start a fire, but if you just do a dual SATA to 6/8 pin on a 130w card it's gonna be alright.