Replace chromeos with Linux on HP Chromebook 11 G1?

Hi all I recently got an HP Chromebook 11 G1 (Samsung Exynos ARMv7 based 32bit CPU) not sure what year it is from I would say 2013 or earlier.. anyway is there a way to replace chromeos with Linux on this? As it's EoL so I'm hoping to give it a new life.. and all I can find is stuff using Crouton which isn't really what I would like to do.聽

ARM Chromebooks have lacking if not nonexistent support for Linux, both chrx and Crouton.

Sauce:聽https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility

(this applies to not only GalliumOS)

As far as I know, your only option is Crouton and even that seems unlikely.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me (聽@Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards聽//聽Forum Quickstart Guide聽//聽Floatplane聽//聽Forum FAQ聽// TheParrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread聽who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE聽Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽........:oo:........

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o聽 聽 聽 聽聽聽 聽 聽 聽.''''''''''''''.

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN聽 聽 聽 聽|聽 聽PARTYON聽聽|

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy聽 聽 聽 聽| ,............'

聽 聽 聽 聽 聽h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s聽聽|/

聽 聽 聽 Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

聽 聽 聽h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

聽 聽 聽m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

聽 聽 Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

聽 聽mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

聽 +++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

聽``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

聽++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

On 9/28/2021 at 8:35 PM, Droppler said:

Hi all I recently got an HP Chromebook 11 G1 (Samsung Exynos ARMv7 based 32bit CPU) not sure what year it is from I would say 2013 or earlier.. anyway is there a way to replace chromeos with Linux on this? As it's EoL so I'm hoping to give it a new life.. and all I can find is stuff using Crouton which isn't really what I would like to do.聽

Like Gegger said, it doesn't look good for your laptop unfortunately 馃槥

However! I have successfully installed Arch on my Samsung Chromebook XE303C12 and got it to a usable working state in the past, and that laptop + your laptop have the same CPU and maybe some other hardware...so maybe following that laptop's Arch Linux Arm install guide is a good place to start?

Indeed, the Arch Linux wiki says that while your laptop's status is unsupported...it says the your laptop's installation process is identical to the installation process for the Samsung Chromebook XE303C12; https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Chrome_OS_devices/Chromebook

Might be worth giving it a go and see what happens, can also try on a microSD card instead of the internal eMMC. If you break things, you should be able to run the Chromebook recovery tool via a usb to get your laptop back to a working state at least.

Someone has an install script here, which they say may work on your machine; as with any scripts / code...verify / do your research before running it.

• Desktop! 2012 Mac Pro, Radeon RX 570 8GB, macOS Monterrey via OCLP.
  • Laptop! 2015 MacBook Pro quad core i7 with dedicated gpu
  • Other: PineBook Pro, PowerBook G4, misc chromebook, NextBook Flexx 11, LGV20 w/ LineageOS, and a few other things