First Build Ever! Advice welcomed.

TerryFox18

Budget (including currency): N/A, USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Variety of modern games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X4Vvp2

No peripherals needed. Plan on getting 2 monitors, still deciding.
This is a whole new, 1st ever build. After having 3 prebuilt computers and watching years of LTT (since before house copper tubing), Months of Austin Evans, and more recently of JayzTwoCent I finally decided I want to build my own rig. Original right? Especially with all the shortages going around but I am determined to do it which is why I don't really have a set budget. I plan on playing in 4k and hoping for the best refresh rate. 

As to when I'm guying to buy? Once I decided there's enough advice given, if any, I'll start by locking in parts and slowly accumulating them until I get my GPU. The only thing I have set in stone thus far is the case. It's too perfect for my needs and wants. Other than that, please at leisure, assist this poor noob.

Looks like a good build to me! Not much to say about it, parts look good. I believe the AIO comes with pre-applied thermal paste, but I'm not 100% sure.

Other things to consider:

You could go up to a 3600 MHZ CL16 Ram, but that wouldn't be much of a performance diff.

Gen 4 NVME drives currently don't have much benefit in game right now. If you want to be prepared for whenever direct storage is fully implemented though, I don't see a reason why not.

Intel 12th gen is launching in November so you can also consider waiting for the launch before making any final decisions.

4K is a pretty hard to run, so you would probably need to upgrade GPU every gen to keep up if you're playing latest and greatest games.

Monitor recommendations:

With your hardware, I would go for at least a 1440p 144hz monitor. There are plenty out there right now, but here are some good deals I've seen recently:

ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD

Gigabyte G27Q (have this myself and been enjoying it! whites are a little bright though)

Acer VG270U Pbmiipx

Haven't seen any particular deals for 4K recently, but I'm not in that market so wait for some other people for that.

I'd be real hear and tell you, Only CPU selection is good in your list 😅😅

That cooler is very overpriced and only 240MM, thats not good enough for 5900X. Get something like Arctic liquid freezer II 360 A-rgb, Lian lin Galahad 2 360, EK AIO 360.

You don't need thermal paste, Because it's already applied on cooler.

That board is not really good. MSI B550 tomahawk will be good enough, But if u want better, Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC Will do the job.

Even 16 GB is enough for gaming, 64GB is totally overkill, Get 32 GB 3600 CL16 memory, Faster RAM will be better than more RAM in this situation.

Gen 4 SSD is not necessary, But might as well get it in this system, But 1TB is not enough for anything at all, You should get more.

Also have a look at 6900XT, Because it's little better card than 3080, Also having more Vram makes it better for 4K gaming, While it's priced mostly cheaper than 3080.

750W power supply is not enough for 3080, Nor 6900XT.

And lastly, Case. I really don't get, Why literally garbage case for this high end system? 

23 minutes ago, TerryFox18 said:

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YzhXj2

This is a whole new, 1st ever build. After having 3 prebuilt computers and watching years of LTT (since before house copper tubing), Months of Austin Evans, and more recently of JayzTwoCent I finally decided I want to build my own rig. Original right? Especially with all the shortages going around but I am determined to do it which is why I don't really have a set budget. I plan on playing in 4k and hoping for the best refresh rate. 

As to when I'm guying to buy? Once I decided there's enough advice given, if any, I'll start by locking in parts and slowly accumulating them until I get my GPU. The only thing I have set in stone thus far is the case. It's too perfect for my needs and wants. Other than that, please at leisure, assist this poor noob.

Do you need the RGB?

Get out that wanna be case something... 🙃

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($559.99 @ B&H) 

CPU Cooler: Lian Li GALAHAD AIO 360 RGB 69.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($155.00) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($194.79 @ Amazon) 

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Team CARDEA ZERO Z440 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($137.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: ADATA Swordfish 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($189.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card 

Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ B&H) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.85 @ B&H) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit 

Custom: Logitech 943-000109 POWERPLAY WIRELESS CHARGING SYSTEM ($119.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1817.58

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-28 14:34 EDT-0400

3 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/42rbBc Changed some things, I would recommend maybe getting more storage, maybe a HDD if you want to

Pay some attention of what parts you choose 😞 Or if you don't know, Don't give such advised 😐😐

That cooler is somewhat okey, But might or might not be able to keep CPU cool enough so that can maintain boost speeds as long as necessary.

750W PSU is not recommend, It might run this combo well, But it's likely that on high usage he'll see shutdowns, So he had added in list, You keeping it means you approve his choice, So he might get it and end up eith problems... 😐😐

Also, You did not maintain RGB theme, But that's completely different thing 😄

9 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I'd be real hear and tell you, Only CPU selection is good in your list 😅😅

That cooler is very overpriced and only 240MM, thats not good enough for 5900X. Get something like Arctic liquid freezer II 360 A-rgb, Lian lin Galahad 2 360, EK AIO 360.

You don't need thermal paste, Because it's already applied on cooler.

That board is not really good. MSI B550 tomahawk will be good enough, But if u want better, Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC Will do the job.

Even 16 GB is enough for gaming, 64GB is totally overkill, Get 32 GB 3600 CL16 memory, Faster RAM will be better than more RAM in this situation.

Gen 4 SSD is not necessary, But might as well get it in this system, But 1TB is not enough for anything at all, You should get more.

Also have a look at 6900XT, Because it's little better card than 3080, Also having more Vram makes it better for 4K gaming, While it's priced mostly cheaper than 3080.

750W power supply is not enough for 3080, Nor 6900XT.

And lastly, Case. I really don't get, Why literally garbage case for this high end system? 

I understand most of that lol The case just fits what I want out of it. The cooler is suppose to be a 360mm, I think I just forgot too switch it out before posting. It was just for looks, it didn't have in your face logo like corsair usually does and it seems nice to look at the water temp. 

I actually kept bouncing back between my board and a few others before 'settling' so I'd be happy to replace it with something else. Alot of what i put on here was mostly, 'What board (or whatever) works best for the 5900x'.

The memory is only suppose to be 2x 16gb sticks, must of accidentally put in two 2 packs, thats my bad.

I'll be sure to upgrade power for sure, I wanted 80+ gold at least.

I thought 1TB on the SSD would have been enough. But I put most of my games on external hard drives/ssd's. I'll look it over.

And for the GPU I'll be sure to compare the 2 more closely. I didn't look to much into it outside of just wanting something high end like a 3080.
Thanks for the advice!

9 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

Do you need the RGB?

Not so much, first computer with a see through panel and I just wanted stuff to pop. Though I do believe I put too much in so I might take some out.

1 minute ago, Latvian Video said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/42rbBc Changed some things, I would recommend maybe getting more storage, maybe a HDD if you want to

Thanks! I'll look through it sometime soon, appreciate it.

11 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Get out that wanna be case something... 🙃

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($559.99 @ B&H) 

CPU Cooler: Lian Li GALAHAD AIO 360 RGB 69.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($155.00) 

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($194.79 @ Amazon) 

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($189.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Team CARDEA ZERO Z440 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($137.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage: ADATA Swordfish 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($189.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card 

Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ B&H) 

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.85 @ B&H) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit 

Custom: Logitech 943-000109 POWERPLAY WIRELESS CHARGING SYSTEM ($119.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $1817.58

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-28 14:34 EDT-0400

Pay some attention of what parts you choose 😞 Or if you don't know, Don't give such advised 😐😐

That cooler is somewhat okey, But might or might not be able to keep CPU cool enough so that can maintain boost speeds as long as necessary.

750W PSU is not recommend, It might run this combo well, But it's likely that on high usage he'll see shutdowns, So he had added in list, You keeping it means you approve his choice, So he might get it and end up eith problems... 😐😐

Also, You did not maintain RGB theme, But that's completely different thing 😄

I appreciate all advised, some stuff I had changed out already just due to my mistake of keeping them on a separate list and giving you guys the unedited version. Thats my bad.

Cooler I'm hoping to keep AIO as they look alot nicer in my opinion and figured it couldn't hurt. I don't live in a hot environment, in fact it's rather cool all year round.

The fans and RGB I plan on doing a redo over when I get closer to buying everything up. And I'v just upgraded from an 80+ gold 750W to 1200W 80+ platinum, if thats too much feel free but I figure its better to be over than under.

I am always happy to seek advise from senior computer builders.

New list of parts is now available to see. Do you fine folk believe a 360mm AIO will be enough for a 5900x?

1 hour ago, TerryFox18 said:

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w92s9N

I'd advise to find the GPU at a semi-reasonable price before you buy the rest.... and there's nothing wrong with getting a PSU that will last you forever but.... that's WAY more power than you will ever use short of using 3 GPUs in a rig... which is never, ever, worth it... and mostly just causes games to glitch (I'm pretty sure I read both Nvidia and AMD just dropped support for SLI/XFire altogether.... like... it's still is present in the cards, they just got tired of doing technical support for it)... that being said I bought a XFX Platinum 1000w PSU a long ass time ago and it'll be powering my rigs 15 years from now I'm sure

29 minutes ago, TerryFox18 said:

New list of parts is now available to see. Do you fine folk believe a 360mm AIO will be enough for a 5900x?

Yes, Edited list looks better, AIO is more of personal preference, If you have budget for it, Why not? But make sure you don't sacrifice other parts sake of cool looking AIO.

As I said before, 3200 RAM is on little slower side, 3600 CL16 is kind of sweet spot, While Lower latency Rams are much better performer, But it's nit huge jump in price going from 3200 to 3600 CL 16 and it makes enough of difference.

As I said before, AIO already have applied thermal paste and there is no need to get one.

1200W is too overkill, Also that's long and huge power supply, Are you sure that fits in your chosen case? I doubt it 😄 Get a 1000W gold or platinum and even that'll be overkill.

Paying that much for 2TB drive really pains me 🤣🤣

especially there is good options for much cheaper.

Currently on sale

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Sequential-High-Speed-Interface-Heatspreader/dp/B08TB1D2WC/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=nvme+gen4+2tb&qid=1632857986&sr=8-12

Also great options

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Internal-Extreme-Performance-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-2TB/dp/B07TN1MNJ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=nvme+gen4+2tb&qid=1632857986&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-T-Force-Graphene-Internal-TM8FPZ002T0C327/dp/B0899F3MWB/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=nvme%2Bgen4%2B2tb&qid=1632858044&sr=8-18&th=1&psc=1

38 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Yes, Edited list looks better, AIO is more of personal preference, If you have budget for it, Why not? But make sure you don't sacrifice other parts sake of cool looking AIO.

As I said before, 3200 RAM is on little slower side, 3600 CL16 is kind of sweet spot, While Lower latency Rams are much better performer, But it's nit huge jump in price going from 3200 to 3600 CL 16 and it makes enough of difference.

As I said before, AIO already have applied thermal paste and there is no need to get one.

1200W is too overkill, Also that's long and huge power supply, Are you sure that fits in your chosen case? I doubt it 😄 Get a 1000W gold or platinum and even that'll be overkill.

Paying that much for 2TB drive really pains me 🤣🤣

especially there is good options for much cheaper.

Currently on sale

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Sequential-High-Speed-Interface-Heatspreader/dp/B08TB1D2WC/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=nvme+gen4+2tb&qid=1632857986&sr=8-12

Also great options

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Internal-Extreme-Performance-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-2TB/dp/B07TN1MNJ4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=nvme+gen4+2tb&qid=1632857986&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-T-Force-Graphene-Internal-TM8FPZ002T0C327/dp/B0899F3MWB/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=nvme%2Bgen4%2B2tb&qid=1632858044&sr=8-18&th=1&psc=1

Your right lol I hate spending that much on storage which is the only reason I went with 1TB since most of my stuff is external and I completely forgot about the ram!

For storage it looks like the TeamGroup T-Force one won't even show up on the part list. But i managed to put the Corsair one in the list.

13 minutes ago, TerryFox18 said:

Your right lol I hate spending that much on storage which is the only reason I went with 1TB since most of my stuff is external and I completely forgot about the ram!

For storage it looks like the TeamGroup T-Force one won't even show up on the part list. But i managed to put the Corsair one in the list.

It does show, It's this one 😅

But Corsair one is much cheaper right now, So get it. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nb2bt6/

Your new build looks better now.

PCPartPicker also have note about PSU compatibility, So check it before buying.

" Note:Unable to verify the RAIJINTEK PONOS MS ATX Mid Tower Case and the SeaSonic Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply are compatible. PCPartPicker does not have sufficient information to know if the power supply will fit. "

Also, What about getting this one? It's enough, While being little cheaper than 360mm one

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Xbyqqs/nzxt-kraken-z63-9817-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-rl-krz63-01

Also have a look at those 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XKDWHSB/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_QEH2YESBTWHT01CSRMME

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YZ2NCR5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_YG30QE25NTDD36FCQS81

18 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Your new build looks better now.

PCPartPicker also have note about PSU compatibility, So check it before buying.

" Note:Unable to verify the RAIJINTEK PONOS MS ATX Mid Tower Case and the SeaSonic Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply are compatible. PCPartPicker does not have sufficient information to know if the power supply will fit. "

Also, What about getting this one? It's enough, While being little cheaper than 360mm one

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Xbyqqs/nzxt-kraken-z63-9817-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-rl-krz63-01

Also have a look at those 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XKDWHSB/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_QEH2YESBTWHT01CSRMME

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YZ2NCR5/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_YG30QE25NTDD36FCQS81

I'll look more into the AIO, though I am liking the Aorus one though. Did double check the PSU and the case. Max length for the case is 180mm. Got a new PSU, still 1000W 80+ Gold and it fits in the case at 150mm in length. I'v read that some people have fit a 360mm AIO into the case on top since I plan on top mounting it. Worse case is bumping it down to 240mm in which the one you suggested will be the one I would probably go with. 

9 hours ago, TerryFox18 said:

I'll look more into the AIO, though I am liking the Aorus one though. Did double check the PSU and the case. Max length for the case is 180mm. Got a new PSU, still 1000W 80+ Gold and it fits in the case at 150mm in length. I'v read that some people have fit a 360mm AIO into the case on top since I plan on top mounting it. Worse case is bumping it down to 240mm in which the one you suggested will be the one I would probably go with. 

My suggested AIOs are 280mm, Not 240mm, 280mm is kind of sweet spot I think, You won't have trouble fitting it in that case and it also be able to cool 5900x well enough.

15 hours ago, TerryFox18 said:

I'm about to rebuild my PC with a custom loop.... depending on your timeframe for your build, I'd sell you my NZXT Kraken AIO.... I think I built another computer with the fans for it... but you'll probably be buying fans to match the rest anyways... $70 seems fair?

20 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

The Fuma 2 is more than good enough to cool a 5900X. 

On 9/29/2021 at 2:26 AM, Dr0idGh0sT said:

My suggested AIOs are 280mm, Not 240mm, 280mm is kind of sweet spot I think, You won't have trouble fitting it in that case and it also be able to cool 5900x well enough.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M49WW51/ref=twister_B09GXM4MNZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 
I know you dislike my choice of case for a few reasons, but I found this that doesn't seem too bad. Thoughts for it?

On 9/29/2021 at 8:16 AM, DrunkenPanda said:

I'm about to rebuild my PC with a custom loop.... depending on your timeframe for your build, I'd sell you my NZXT Kraken AIO.... I think I built another computer with the fans for it... but you'll probably be buying fans to match the rest anyways... $70 seems fair?

That certainly seems like a pretty darn good deal! What's the size of it? 

2 hours ago, TerryFox18 said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08M49WW51/ref=twister_B09GXM4MNZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 
I know you dislike my choice of case for a few reasons, but I found this that doesn't seem too bad. Thoughts for it?

That certainly seems like a pretty darn good deal! What's the size of it? 

240mm... I have it on a 10850k... at stock it runs ~40c, ~50c on stress test with two corsair HD120s on it.... plenty of headroom to OC... I'm still getting all the pieces together for the custom loop rebuild... but if ur not in a huge rush... it looks pretty and you can play with the colors on the mirrored display with CAM software... it doesn't have the newer version display with readouts if you care about that sort of thing but those are over $100... I think it's 3-4 years old? They don't rly go bad tho and it's been well taken care of... otherwise it's gonna sit in a box when my custom loop stuff comes in

9 hours ago, TerryFox18 said:

This is good case if you are willing to pay this much in it 

On 9/29/2021 at 7:05 PM, lee32uk said:

The Fuma 2 is more than good enough to cool a 5900X.

It ain't able to keep 5900X in good temps to maintain boosted clock speeds. It's absolutely enough for 5800X tho...

2 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

It ain't able to keep 5900X in good temps to maintain boosted clock speeds. It's absolutely enough for 5800X tho...

Unless the op is overclocking and doing heavy cpu workloads then it is fine. This is a gaming pc according to the op so it won't be under heavy load.

51 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Unless the op is overclocking and doing heavy cpu workloads then it is fine. This is a gaming pc according to the op so it won't be under heavy load.

I have watched that video, It's great for lower power consumption CPUs, Such as 5800X, But not ideal for 5900X/5950X/10900/11900 CPUs. I like this cooler and suggesting it many times, But if we are talking about 5900X, It's better to be safe and get any of higher end coolers mentioned in that video, Deepcool Assassin III, Be quiet dark rock pro 4, Zalman CNPS 20x are good ones, Also not being as ugly as Noctua NH D15, Aldo Cromax black ain't ugly, But reaches territory of Arctic liquid freezer II 280 and 10 bucks more and you'll get 360, So for this price I don't think there is any reason to buy it. So, Yes, Scythe Fuma 2 can cool 5900X enough, But no, Not ideally, Because what if it's summer and temps are high? What if OP wanted to do little overclocking? What if OP decides to do something that stresses CPU? 

1 hour ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I have watched that video, It's great for lower power consumption CPUs, Such as 5800X, But not ideal for 5900X/5950X/10900/11900 CPUs. I like this cooler and suggesting it many times, But if we are talking about 5900X, It's better to be safe and get any of higher end coolers mentioned in that video, Deepcool Assassin III, Be quiet dark rock pro 4, Zalman CNPS 20x are good ones, Also not being as ugly as Noctua NH D15, Aldo Cromax black ain't ugly, But reaches territory of Arctic liquid freezer II 280 and 10 bucks more and you'll get 360, So for this price I don't think there is any reason to buy it. So, Yes, Scythe Fuma 2 can cool 5900X enough, But no, Not ideally, Because what if it's summer and temps are high? What if OP wanted to do little overclocking? What if OP decides to do something that stresses CPU? 

First off, the 5900X runs cooler than the 5800X, so if it can cope with a 5800X then it can cope with a 5900X. If you watched that video then you would know that it only falls behind when running intense cpu workloads with an overclock. That is a worse case scenario. If the op is just gaming then there is zero issue.

You can look at another review below. They tested it on an 18 core i9 10980XE and even though it ran hot when overclocked it didn't thermal throttle. The 10980XE is a 165W TDP cpu according to Intel. Of course it will run hotter when O/C.

https://hardwarecanucks.com/cooling-power/scythe-fuma-2-review/

And you can see just how hot a 10980XE runs at 4.6GHz compared to other cpu's below. 

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/luke-hill/intel-core-i9-10980xe-cpu-review/10/

I'm super happy that everyone is helping me this much regardless if I decide to go with their own choices or not. And I wanted to once again apologize for any lack of information I have provided. I will NOT be overclocking this PC for whatever reason, this is a personal choice of mine.

On 10/1/2021 at 9:33 PM, DrunkenPanda said:

240mm... I have it on a 10850k... at stock it runs ~40c, ~50c on stress test with two corsair HD120s on it.... plenty of headroom to OC... I'm still getting all the pieces together for the custom loop rebuild... but if ur not in a huge rush... it looks pretty and you can play with the colors on the mirrored display with CAM software... it doesn't have the newer version display with readouts if you care about that sort of thing but those are over $100... I think it's 3-4 years old? They don't rly go bad tho and it's been well taken care of... otherwise it's gonna sit in a box when my custom loop stuff comes in

Thanks for the help, I'm not in a big rush for everything but your more than welcomed to try and sell it to someone else who may need it more urgently then I do. It'll be sometime before I have the chance to buy the other parts. No store locally around me sells GPU's including bestbuy and theres certainly no microcenter's remotely close to me so I have to rely on ONLINE restocks which I'v been monitoring. So nothing is concrete until I'm able to pick one up.