Radeon 6900XT + 5950X microstutters, mainly in CoD Warzone - Solved (for now)

LosCanarias

So this one is a bit of a storyline, but hang in there....

I'm an avid FPS gamer (and IT engineer), and lately my main game is COD warzone.

I've configured a new system with:

ROG Dark Hero X570

6900XT Liquid Devil

1200w ROG Thor psu

980 Pro 1 TB ssd

64gb Gskill samsung b die memory at 3600 / 16 / 16 / 16.

Full custom loop watercooling with all EK parts.

Over time the game just did not feel smooth enough for me, although I average around 200 FPS on medium settings there were some microjitters/stutters going on and it was just bugging me while losing some close quarters fights....

What I've done so far:

Replaced 5950X with a new one.

Replaced memory with new

Replaced mainboard (to Aorus Master X570, and then back to a new Dark Hero)

Replaced previous 6800XT with new 6900XT.

Numerous reinstalls of windows. Numerous yes. Numerous.

Now as these nice new RX6000 videocards have quite a lot of coil-whine, I put down my blaring headset, and listened to the system in game (while gaming and spectating after death), and I noticed some erratic changes in coil whine, seemingly correlating with the same stutter I have experienced in game.

Looking into the performance metrics, I see idiotic changes in wattage, drops in clock speeds and what not. I tried locking in the minimal clock speeds (2450 min 2500 max) which also made some difference. Please see the video on the 21.8.2. driver. It's ridiculous, I really don't care about power optimization in game! I want a normal experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUjcU2YK7vs

I also noticed that when I alt+tab (while in game) to do things on my secondary screen the erratic behavior decreased significantly, almost even evaporate. That got me thinking, should I run fullscreen borderless, or even windowed? That made no difference at all, and I started to further analyze the issues...

I got the feeling that when they added new functionality in the driver (monitoring FPS/Frametime and probably most importantly the Ryzen part of monitoring (like the RyzenMasterSDK in task scheduler)) things started going south unfortunately.

I tried disabling all monitoring features, disabling RyzenMasterSDK, removing the game from the Radeon Driver, and many many more things, until I finally gave up and yesterday.... Downgraded my driver.

I managed to DDU and install 21.2.3, and started my game.

The difference was immediately improved to a point where it is unnoticeable. I then also locked back in the minimal and maximum clock speeds in game (2450-2550) and started a new game.

Coil whine is constant with no huge changes in sound, no micro-stutters in game, FPS is stable (I mean for warzone it is), all in all this resolved my issues with this setup in my favorite game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2y-HQkkGWY

It's so stupid to see a brilliant product line once again fail due to Driver Dev's messing up and new-found-fan's (like me, as I came from a 1080ti) willing to already leave the platform due to these crap drivers.

AMD -> If you're even interested and listening -> Please get your shit together and fix this nonsense. For now, I'm not leaving this driver, and might even downgrade to the GA driver for the 68/6900XT release to be sure nothing is bloated or crooked in my setup.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issues.

• 2 months later...

Hey dude!

I just upgraded from a 3080 to a 6900xt and I'm experiencing the same problems as you did, but on the newest AMD drivers 21.12.1.
I would just like to ask if you're still recommending the 21.8.2 instead of the newest release on the new map Caldera?

Oh sorry, do you recommend 21.2.3*
Just wondering since it's quite an outdated driver...

Same here, experiencing microstuttering in game and it’s annoying

I hope it’s a driver issue, and hopefully someone knows which driver is the best for caldera

Let me know if you find any information, thanks !

On 12/17/2021 at 7:56 PM, Limpdizkid said:

Hey dude!

I just upgraded from a 3080 to a 6900xt and I'm experiencing the same problems as you did, but on the newest AMD drivers 21.12.1.
I would just like to ask if you're still recommending the 21.8.2 instead of the newest release on the new map Caldera?

Hey mate might have found something, increased my render resolution in game from 100 to 120 and all microstutter is gone now, game looks buttersmooth.

So increasing the render resolution helps for me, give it a try

Also make sure you disable anti-lag from Radeon Software, these two combined fixed the issue on my side for now.

On 12/20/2021 at 12:22 AM, Siniitteri said:

Hey mate might have found something, increased my render resolution in game from 100 to 120 and all microstutter is gone now, game looks buttersmooth.

Also make sure you disable anti-lag from Radeon Software, these two combined fixed the issue on my side for now.

Aight I'll give that a go! I already had the anti-lag disabled. Do you have SAM enable aswell?

What drivers are you currently running?

On 12/20/2021 at 12:22 AM, Siniitteri said:

Ohh and what resolution are you on? I'm on 1440p

17 hours ago, Limpdizkid said:

Ohh and what resolution are you on? I'm on 1440p

1440p as well 🙂 I’m using the latest drivers but can’t remember  the exact version name. Don’t have SAM enabled ! I’ve literally tried so many different things, and finally during caldera simply increasing the render resolution in game has had an actual impact.. did you try that out?

11 hours ago, Siniitteri said:

1440p as well 🙂 I’m using the latest drivers but can’t remember  the exact version name. Don’t have SAM enabled ! I’ve literally tried so many different things, and finally during caldera simply increasing the render resolution in game has had an actual impact.. did you try that out?

Yeah I tried it! It worked a little bit. The only scenarios my game stutters is when I'm flying down after respawning, pulling my parachute or flying planes/choppers.
Your solution helped a little bit with dropping out of the sky but not with flying vehicles...

I've read that SAM might be a cause of stutters on WZ. I just don't get how that should be possible...I might try disabling it when I get time.

I just wish OP (LosCanarias) would answer inhere... I want to try the driver 21.2.3 he is using. But I can't find a download version that also has Radeon Adrenalin. I can only find the driver itself without the software. I use some of the things in the software that I can't play without.

Might just try and Install it without DDU. Then I can always DDU if it sucks or messes up some driver files.

On 12/22/2021 at 7:57 PM, Limpdizkid said:

Yeah I tried it! It worked a little bit. The only scenarios my game stutters is when I'm flying down after respawning, pulling my parachute or flying planes/choppers.
Your solution helped a little bit with dropping out of the sky but not with flying vehicles...

I've read that SAM might be a cause of stutters on WZ. I just don't get how that should be possible...I might try disabling it when I get time.

I just wish OP (LosCanarias) would answer inhere... I want to try the driver 21.2.3 he is using. But I can't find a download version that also has Radeon Adrenalin. I can only find the driver itself without the software. I use some of the things in the software that I can't play without.

Might just try and Install it without DDU. Then I can always DDU if it sucks or messes up some driver files.

Hmm I see thats weird, you don’t have any other microstutter with the gameplay in general? Should have had more hours with my solution before saying anything .. I’m still experiencing some stutters every now and then. Is there any specific bios settings you are using, anything out of ordinary? I wish my issue was only the helis/planes, but no, its also when I’m fighting or looting. It is not bad you can live with it, but very annoying. Having 6900xt and 5950x hw and yet not getting the performance I should , is making me go mental 😄 .. 

About the SAM, I am very sure that I am not using it, at least according to the Radeon Sw. Should I trust it or do I need to go into bios and disable SAM from there?

Also did you end up trying the  older driver version? 

Yeah I fixed this problem Today.

posted on Reddit: 

fine tuning OC now and so far all good , can probably ignore the stream settings as well. 

also using latest drivers get 140 FPS at 4K MAX settings with only 3200Mhz RAM & 5950x etc

On 12/22/2021 at 5:57 PM, Limpdizkid said:

Don't enable SAM fucks the FPS's up 

4 hours ago, Chinez said:

Yeah I fixed this problem Today.

posted on Reddit: 

fine tuning OC now and so far all good , can probably ignore the stream settings as well. 

also using latest drivers get 140 FPS at 4K MAX settings with only 3200Mhz RAM & 5950x etc

What did this topic tell you? It is removed, couldn’t find it

22 hours ago, Siniitteri said:

Hi sorry they seem to of removed my post , i will post on here so it doesn't get removed  (will do this in my spare time the next couple days).

The method involves locking the clock speed and VRAM.... then disable everything.... in Radeon software... then the problem is 100% solved.

On 12/24/2021 at 7:08 PM, Siniitteri said:

I got it fixed!

I changed the VideoMemoryScale to 1.2 from 0.9. Don't know why that fixed it though... Still 200-238(capped) fps. Weird game. I've seen many others trying it with no luck. But decided to give it a go and it worked for me somehow.

I see.. did you play around with the rendererworkercount? I updated my bios to the latest, uninstalled drivers with ddu and reinstalled them after, installed latest chipset drivers and got bit more stable performance.. have to try that videomemscale 🙂  What kind of set up do you have, cpu , ram? Have you got everything on stock? 

Yeah mate thanks, locked the clock speed and vram as well, just dont want to disable everything from the software because the game gets very blurry in my eyes 😞 Thank you for the tip though

I have a Ryzen 9 5900x so I got the rendererworkercount set to 6. I've tried 6, 8, 10 and 12. 6 Gives me the best and most stable performance.