Mux switch

MaxTheAxe

Hello, I am shopping for a new gaming laptop and I hear a lot about mux switch or advanced optimus , the thing is that when I look at laptop specs no one says if they have or don’t have them, is there a list somewhere that could tell me if they do or don't have a mux switch or advanced optimus??? Thanks

Yeah thanks, I took a look at this list but wasn’t sure about it because I thought that mux switch were physical, so was wondering how a bios update would activate it? I mean if it’s physically there, why need a bios update? Were the manufacturer not intending to use it in the first place??? That would be odd… also no mention about advanced Optimus….

12 hours ago, MaxTheAxe said:

Yeah thanks, I took a look at this list but wasn’t sure about it because I thought that mux switch were physical, so was wondering how a bios update would activate it? I mean if it’s physically there, why need a bios update? Were the manufacturer not intending to use it in the first place??? That would be odd… also no mention about advanced Optimus….

A mix switch is not a physical thing - and most laptops have it built into their software. Lenovo Vantage for example lets you turn off “hybrid mode”, and use only the dgpu.

Ok but still no info about advanced Optimus, I wish one of LTT people would whip up such a list…. They are praising mux switches without telling us which laptop has them, would be a good video to make and include advanced Optimus please. Also they could ask manufacturer to start adding those info on laptop spec sheets, they have the power to start that trend I feel.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 1:04 AM, MaxTheAxe said:

I wish one of LTT people would whip up such a list

I'm not LTT group staff, but laptop advisor in LTT forums

hope this helps: Gaming Laptop Tier List (2021) - Google Sheets

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 9/28/2021 at 9:10 AM, Lukas Murdych said:

A mix switch is not a physical thing - and most laptops have it built into their software. Lenovo Vantage for example lets you turn off “hybrid mode”, and use only the dgpu.

The MUX is technically both physical and software. Having the ability to switch just means the hard connections on the motherboard are present for the dGPU to both send to the iGPU and send directly to the display.

The BIOS or software component is the ability for you to direct which route to use. Without a MUX, the default is to route through the iGPU, otherwise you would not have the ability to output with that, and save battery via Optimus. Advanced Optimus is an software version of using the MUX, where the laptop supposable 'automatically' routes direct to the dGPU or iGPU depending on use. Almost every implementation of this I've seen reviewed to date has noted it's pretty buggy at best.