Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CPU underclocking itself under load

I have a Lenovo Legion Y520-IKBM with i5-7300HQ, 1060 Max-Q and 16 GB RAM (I know it is a little bit weak for 2021). Recently I noticed that my CPU underclocks itself when it is under load. For example when I just browse the web or talk in discord the processor sits at around 3.20-3.30GHz, but when I start playing some heavy games like PUBG or COD the CPU just goes to 2.20-2.30GHz after 3-4 minutes of play time and the games don't run smoothly. I am using HW Info and saw that the laptop isn't thermalthrottling or anything like that. I also attached a HW info log, which was made while browsing the web. If someone can help me I would be thankful.

HW info logs_idle.CSV

Check/change the power settings for the associated programs

Could you please help me with doing that, i am not sure i understand what you mean?

33 minutes ago, freakyShark said:

I have a Lenovo Legion Y520-IKBM with i5-7300HQ, 1060 Max-Q and 16 GB RAM (I know it is a little bit weak for 2021). Recently I noticed that my CPU underclocks itself when it is under load. For example when I just browse the web or talk in discord the processor sits at around 3.20-3.30GHz, but when I start playing some heavy games like PUBG or COD the CPU just goes to 2.20-2.30GHz after 3-4 minutes of play time and the games don't run smoothly. I am using HW Info and saw that the laptop isn't thermalthrottling or anything like that. I also attached a HW info log, which was made while browsing the web. If someone can help me I would be thankful.

HW info logs_idle.CSV 81.61 kB · 0 downloads

Your log does not show the issue. Base Clock is 2.5 GHz, so that's roughly what should be expected from the CPU under full load with optimal cooling.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 Fedora 35 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon W3680, AMD Radeon HD 6950, 24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: 2x Intel Xeon X5670, 72 GB 1333 MHz DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x Windows 10 Home x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 Windows 10 Pro x86_64

25 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Your log does not show the issue. Base Clock is 2.5 GHz, so that's roughly what should be expected from the CPU under full load with optimal cooling. 

Here is a log while playing PUBG and talking in discord. You can clearly see when the base clock jumps down from 3.3GHz to 2.3GHz and i can't figure out why. When i turned the game off it immediately went back to 3.2GHz

HW info logs_PUBG.CSV