CPU Fused to Heatsink

Syah623

so i wanted to reapply my thermal grease today, but when i want to take off my cpu heatsink off from the processor, the processor came with it (fused, glued or something) while the socket lock status is still down (locked?). it didn't took much force to take it off from the heatsink, i succesfully put everything back on with new thermal grease applied. 

then i looked it up on internet, it said that i may break the processor pins if i pull the processor while the socket lock is still down (locked)? is it true? my pc is fine when i turned it back on tho after reapplied the new thermal grease.

-Ryzen 3 3200g with ryzen 7 wraith  cooler

-asus a320m prime

3 minutes ago, Syah623 said:

so i wanted to reapply my thermal grease today, but when i want to take off my cpu heatsink off from the processor, the processor came with it (fused, glued or something) while the socket lock status is still down (locked?). it didn't took much force to take it off from the heatsink, i succesfully put everything back on with new thermal grease applied. 

then i looked it up on internet, it said that i may break the processor pins if i pull the processor while the socket lock is still down (locked)? is it true? my pc is fine when i turned it back on tho after reapplied the new thermal grease.

-asus a320m prime

You might have just got lucky, I had a similar experience where i didnt place my cpu in the slot completely correct and closed the clamp on it which broke a pin, if the cpu's pins look fine and everything works after some stress tests, should be fine, just keep an eye out

CPU: Ryzen 3700X Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Pro Wifi CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 Rev 2 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz GPU: Asus TUF OC RTX 3080 SSD: 250GB SK Hynix SATA and 2x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Cooler Master NR200 Monitor: LG 27GL850 Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Razer Viper Audio: Sennheiser PC37X and Logitech G560 Speakers

20 minutes ago, Syah623 said:

-asus a320m prime

a question :  why did you decide to reapply thermal paste ? working temperature was oddly high or performance of cpu was down ? if either of these are not present better not to touch at all. 

It is best to do a little wiggle witht the heatsink before you pull it off. What happened to me a couple of times is that the CPU was stuck to the heatsink and it fell off after I pulled it out of the socket and it fell down on the mobo and bent their pins. Luckily though I managed to bend them back on both CPU. Just do a careful little twist back and forth but not with too much force and it should come loose.

It's most probably ok cuz cpu can do without a couple pins (in case they were broken that i doubt) but yeah, it's best to do a little wiggle on parts that are connected though a compound you suspect dried out

Futureproof your builds and try not to fry anything