Old motherboard issues. Need some help please.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

It should theoretically enter bios without any drives in it at all.  Just needs a cpu and memory.  Have you tried pulling the drives and seeing if it enters bios? 

I already pulled them

Doesn’t change the age.

I understand age on hardware being a thing. The board itself wasnt abused before I got it. Ive seen other system its age still running well.

I have a possible back up system I could finish for the person in question. I was originally giving it too but its not without its headaches as well because its a new prebuilt so the motherboard form factor and other issues could arise. If the board was truly toast as well Id imagine I wouldnt even be getting to this point.

Just now, ClonicMechanics said:

I understand age on hardware being a thing. The board itself wasnt abused before I got it. Ive seen other system its age still running well.

I have a possible back up system I could finish for the person in question. I was originally giving it too but its not without its headaches as well because its a new prebuilt so the motherboard form factor and other issues could arise. If the board was truly toast as well Id imagine I wouldnt even be getting to this point.

I could try going back to basics and pulling it out of the case.

3 minutes ago, ClonicMechanics said:

Just saying older stuff can have more go wrong.   There can be additional possibles

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, ClonicMechanics said:

I already pulled them

Well crap.  Back to the bios thing.  Stuffing the original drives back in it just to see if there’s some sort of weirdness there where it will go to bios with attached drives but not without them (which shouldn’t happen but one never knows) is a possible thought.  I don’t hold out much hope myself

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just saying older stuff can have more go wrong.   There can be additional possibles

I agree with you I just hate to throw it out if it doesnt have anything wrong with it. I know everyone wants new pcs and stuff but I actually like tinkering with older stuff like this hell I have stuff older then this at home from the athlon days that I mess with a lot.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Well crap.  Back to the bios thing.  Stuffing the original drives back in it just to see if there’s some sort of weirdness there where it will go to bios with attached drives but not without them (which shouldn’t happen but one never knows) is a possible thought.  I don’t hold out much hope myself

well I wouldnt imagine that would work at this point theyve been reformatted and used in another system. 

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

2 minutes ago, ClonicMechanics said:

I agree with you I just hate to throw it out if it doesnt have anything wrong with it. I know everyone wants new pcs and stuff but I actually like tinkering with older stuff like this hell I have stuff older then this at home from the athlon days that I mess with a lot.

As do I.  I’m trying to get some old hardware working myself and tearing my hair out over it. 

1 minute ago, ClonicMechanics said:

image0.jpg

image1.jpg

Well if you changed the memory it’s going to say something like that.  I don’t know what this old truck you are referring to is.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Well if you changed the memory it’s going to say something like that.  I don’t know what this old truck you are referring to is.

Online Msi has a way that you can have the board flash the bios from a usb stick if you have the hardware a certain way. I tried it but nothing besides that happened.

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The only other thing that shows anything is a A0 bios code but I havent been able to find much information on that code besides it saying the board is ready for drives. its almost like I cant actually finish clearing the cmos. Ive tried the pins shorting methods and changing the battery to no avail. IDE has been given control aka The OS, but thats the thing there is no drive hooked up.

32 minutes ago, ClonicMechanics said:

Online Msi has a way that you can have the board flash the bios from a usb stick if you have the hardware a certain way. I tried it but nothing besides that happened.

Well that sucks.  Was it supposed to apply to that board? If it is supposed to but it doesn’t work it says bad things for the board health.  Might not be though.

15 minutes ago, ClonicMechanics said:

The only other thing that shows anything is a A0 bios code but I havent been able to find much information on that code besides it saying the board is ready for drives. its almost like I cant actually finish clearing the cmos. Ive tried the pins shorting methods and changing the battery to no avail. IDE has been given control aka The OS, but thats the thing there is no drive hooked up.

There’s always the hardcore one: starve it of power.  Unplug everything, pull the CMOS battery and leave the power to drain away.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s always the hardcore one: starve it of power.  Unplug everything, pull the CMOS battery and leave the power to drain away.

next try. Ill update with results in the mean time im going to look at some contingency plans for board for the cpu of the other system I have I think its 8th gen but im going to have to figure out if its a sodered system or not its a prebuilt hp so dont know.

1 hour ago, ClonicMechanics said:

next try. Ill update with results in the mean time im going to look at some contingency plans for board for the cpu of the other system I have I think its 8th gen but im going to have to figure out if its a sodered system or not its a prebuilt hp so dont know.

Most often with those they behave a lot like macs that don’t work as well.  It’s very often factory parts or nothing because they’re only sort of atx even if they’re x86.  Varies a bit though.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Most often with those they behave a lot like macs that don’t work as well.  It’s very often factory parts or nothing because they’re only sort of atx even if they’re x86.  Varies a bit though.

not really worried about that Im really just looking at taking the cpu and the drives out of it