Upgrading desktop for primary use Transcoding for Plex Server

XSnPX

Hello to all,

I am thinking to start upgrading my oldish desktop and wanted some advice how to go about it and if needed.  I do not game at all on this computer - it is for data hoarding and Plex primarily. 

My current set up is: 

Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.20GHz

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. B85M-G (SOCKET 1150)

24.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 775MHz (11-11-11-28)

1863GB Seagate ST2000DX002-2DV164 (SATA ) 
2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 (SATA ) 
14902GB Western Digital WDC WD160EDFZ-11AFWA0 (SATA ) 
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA )

Seems my MB is not that upgradable for a better CPU - as it seems I do not have much room to upgrade much. 

I am thinking of swapping my main boot drive to an SSD and clone it and this should increase performance automatically. 

As I am not gaming but rather looking to upgrade a little faster and also have better transcode capabilities, hopefully able to use the current RAM set up with maybe a new MB and new CPU? if new MB may change the SSD to M.2 instead.

With your experience, what suggestions would you offer with this set up? 

Thank you in advance. 

Ben

How is the streaming down? Is it in-house or remote? For Plex, if possible, I tend to try the other way: store (an extra copy of) everything in a sound, video and container format the clients can understand and save transcoding for a last resort. It even has that option for you called "optimise" or something like that.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Thank you and good question @tikker

For me at home it is all direct stream - so I do not have much transcoding to do or very rarely, the occasional sound file my AMP (is old) and transcode sound a little bit when watching bigger 4k media.  I use a SHIELD as the Plex Player. 

The transcoding is more for my family which are remote - and they all have different set-ups.  My current system works flawlessly and has done for many years - however with more HD content and 4K content being added, I am preparing to future proof this for them a little more as I do not think my current set-up is up for 4K transcoding as it is old. 

I hope this helps

2 hours ago, XSnPX said:

The transcoding is more for my family which are remote - and they all have different set-ups.  My current system works flawlessly and has done for many years - however with more HD content and 4K content being added, I am preparing to future proof this for them a little more as I do not think my current set-up is up for 4K transcoding as it is old. 

Transcoding 4k used to be flat out no. Now it's better, but I'd still recommend just optimising everything. You're not going to realistically stream a full bitrate full quality 4k blu-ray remotely, so might as well just run optimise to have a streaming friendly one like a 4 Mbps 720p copy or whatever your and their internet can handle. Depending on their needs and devices I can't imagine it being too hard to get a broadly supported one like an h264 stereo mp4 encased version or something.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

19 hours ago, tikker said:

Transcoding 4k used to be flat out no. Now it's better, but I'd still recommend just optimising everything. You're not going to realistically stream a full bitrate full quality 4k blu-ray remotely, so might as well just run optimise to have a streaming friendly one like a 4 Mbps 720p copy or whatever your and their internet can handle. Depending on their needs and devices I can't imagine it being too hard to get a broadly supported one like an h264 stereo mp4 encased version or something.

Thanks again, 

I understand the optimising will help loads - what do you mean when you say h264 stereo mp4 encased version - is this the optimise options?