Pc not working when usb inserted

RAHUL151

Hey, can anyone help me with my pc.

I basically got a pc from my relatives which was very old and never use it, so i thought of getting it and using it for a minecraft server to play with my friends. When i try to install ubuntu server on it, and insert the pendrive, start the pc the pc doesn't boot into anything and my keyboard is not working even if i manually want it to boot from pendrive. so, please can anyone help me :(, thanks in advance cause i trust the linus tech tips forums and the community of the linus tech tips

11 minutes ago, RAHUL151 said:

Hey, can anyone help me with my pc.

I basically got a pc from my relatives which was very old and never use it, so i thought of getting it and using it for a minecraft server to play with my friends. When i try to install ubuntu server on it, and insert the pendrive, start the pc the pc doesn't boot into anything and my keyboard is not working even if i manually want it to boot from pendrive. so, please can anyone help me :(, thanks in advance cause i trust the linus tech tips forums and the community of the linus tech tips

How old is very old? There was a time when PCs lacked the ability to boot from USB. It could also be that you have to enter the BIOS and enable booting from USB and set the boot order. On some motherboards like ASUS, you press F8 at the post screen to get a boot menu so you can select which drive to boot from. Finally, older computers use MBR to boot, so if you are trying to use a flash drive in EFI/GPT format, it is not going to work.

What happens if you try to boot without the pendrive? Is there a hard disk with an operating system installed on it?

Could also be the USB ports are disabled in BIOS or just not working (as in broken).

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz 12-Core 24-Thread

Motherboard

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM

G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB

(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)

Graphics Card

Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Overclocked (Factory) 6GB GDDR6

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

2 × Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme (M.2 2280) SSD 1TB

2 × Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD 1TB (RAID1 Array 1)

2 × Hitachi UltraStar HDS721010CLA330 7200RPM SATA III 3.0Gb/s 1TB (RAID1 Array 2)

PSU

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

Optical Drive

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Rewriter

Displays

HP w2408 widescreen 16:10 1920x1200 @60Hz

HP w2207 widescreen 16:10 1680x1050 @60Hz

Keyboard/Mouse

Logitech MK200 Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo Kit

11 minutes ago, aramini said:

How old is very old? There was a time when PCs lacked the ability to boot from USB. It could also be that you have to enter the BIOS and enable booting from USB and set the boot order. On some motherboards like ASUS, you press F8 at the post screen to get a boot menu so you can select which drive to boot from. Finally, older computers use MBR to boot, so if you are trying to use a flash drive in EFI/GPT format, it is not going to work.

What happens if you try to boot without the pendrive? Is there a hard disk with an operating system installed on it?

Could also be the USB ports are disabled in BIOS or just not working (as in broken).

Usb ports are working fine and I enabled to boot from usb but it will be stuck at bios logo

21 minutes ago, RAHUL151 said:

Usb ports are working fine and I enabled to boot from usb but it will be stuck at bios logo

Is it possible to disable the BIOS boot logo to see what it might be saying on the screen? Maybe there is some error. What kind of PC is this? Custom built, Dell, HP etc? Make/Model, etc.

23+ yrs IT experience

MAIN SYSTEM

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro x64 21H1

Case

Antec Three Hundred Two Gaming

CPU

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz 12-Core 24-Thread

Motherboard

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

RAM

G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB

(2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600)

Graphics Card

Asus Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 Overclocked (Factory) 6GB GDDR6

Dual-Fan EVO Edition

Storage

2 × Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme (M.2 2280) SSD 1TB

2 × Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD 1TB (RAID1 Array 1)

2 × Hitachi UltraStar HDS721010CLA330 7200RPM SATA III 3.0Gb/s 1TB (RAID1 Array 2)

PSU

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

Optical Drive

LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Rewriter

Displays

HP w2408 widescreen 16:10 1920x1200 @60Hz

HP w2207 widescreen 16:10 1680x1050 @60Hz

Keyboard/Mouse

Logitech MK200 Wired Keyboard/Mouse Combo Kit

11 minutes ago, aramini said:

Is it possible to disable the BIOS boot logo to see what it might be saying on the screen? Maybe there is some error. What kind of PC is this? Custom built, Dell, HP etc? Make/Model, etc.

Yes it is kinda of custom build