options for e-gpu setups

OhYou_

Not entirely sure this is strictly graphics card related but idk where else to put it /shrug

playing games with an egpu seems to have a strong affect on my cpu when I run it off the internal display. I see a massive gain in performance when running on an external, which is enough reason to look into better options.
I would say 95% of the time I can only accommodate the internal display so my main focus is gonna be that and not trying to shoehorn an external monitor into my life

has anyone else messed around with this side of it? I see lots of users complaining about gpu performance being cut because of the link bandwidth, but I am experiencing a quite different issue it seems. it is definitely a cpu bottleneck i see. 

I've been looking at a couple of different options, one being to disable compression on the pci-e link, which i can only assume the cpu is doing the work for? so it would have a performance affect maybe. 
The other is more drastic, to fit a mini-pcie capture card into the laptop's wifi slot, plug the gpu into the caputre card directly, and play all games through something like VLC or OBS preview window. 
But I'm not entirely sure that would even work or if there would be too much latency. 

I've found a bit of info on people doing that with consoles, some reporting success and others saying it's slow. Also I'm not sure if it would also just use the same amount of cpu performance to display the video stream.

There would be an insane amount of latency the capture card way - I have a Linux machine that doesn’t have a display connected to it so I can use it almost like a VM, I can pull up a VLC window, switch to my capture card input and use it that way. There is some noticeable latency, and this is on relatively capable hardware (i5 and midrange Quadro connected to capture card on Xeon PC) so on weaker hardware with greater latency like a laptop I wouldn’t recommend.

49 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

There would be an insane amount of latency the capture card way - I have a Linux machine that doesn’t have a display connected to it so I can use it almost like a VM, I can pull up a VLC window, switch to my capture card input and use it that way. There is some noticeable latency, and this is on relatively capable hardware (i5 and midrange Quadro connected to capture card on Xeon PC) so on weaker hardware with greater latency like a laptop I wouldn’t recommend.

which one doesnt have a display?

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

i think a hardware encoder based capture card that doesnt have tcp/ip overhead would be a fair bit faster than a vm console