Multi-GPU System Build Planning (Coin Mining)

Mike3332

Budget (including currency): $1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mining Crypto

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I'm kind of new to mining but I was mining Ethereum on my gaming PC, but I'm looking to build a separate unit. So I can expand as I might only able to fit one more GPU in my current PC. I have looked into pre-built mining systems on https://www.asicminervalue.com, but I have been told that they a bad way to go. Any info on where to start would be applicated, 

Many Thanks,

Mike

I understand that Ethereum is going to be proof of stake at the end of December, so you may not want to consider mining at this time.

CPU and motherboard - Get the cheapest Pentium/Celeron you can get. Motherboard just needs a lot of PCI Express slots so that you can connect multiple GPUs there. There are some mining motherboards available for that purpose.

Power supply - Has to have enough PCI Express connectors and high enough wattage for the GPUs you plan to use.

Disk - Smallest and cheapest SSD will do. HDD probably works too, but SSDs are so cheap, so don't see the point.

GPUs - Depends what you can buy and what you plan to mine. Compare the hashrates for different coins and GPUs. You'll want to undervolt the GPUs to ensure they don't run too hot, so they are more reliable and fans don't have to be 100% all the time.

Case - Something with good airflow. Or just keep it in the open, or build a DIY wooden platform for the rig. Think about dust though.

Expect higher than normal room temperatures, if you plan to run the mining rig in living room or such. Also before you buy anything, you might want to check your electricity prices, calculate some approximate earnings and check how long your ROI (return on investment, how long it takes to earn back the money you spent) will be.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

• 4 weeks later...