upgrade

kcihtred2

Budget (including currency): $1000 but rather not spend more then I have to

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Star Wars Battlefront 2, squadrons, retro things

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

Got a gifted 32 inch 1440p qhd 165 hertz and 27 inch 1080p 1440 hertz monitor.  Currently running a 1700, gtx 970 (and used to have 1080p monitors from a decade ago). The system isn't holding up with this. using about 450 gigs of storage right now. I can bring over my noctua nh-d14 if the stock cooling is crap. Though I usually keep my room very cool so not really a big issue

I realize I most likely will have to buy a prebuilt because of the craziness of the world. looking through slick deals to see what is being shown for deals.

gpu wise is a 1660 enough? or should I go 2060?

ryzen 5600g-5700g/intel 10400f good enough?

edit current stuff

cpu 1700

mobo b350

ram 16gb

ssd 500gb sata

gtx 970

case node 804

psu evga 650g

Edited by kcihtred2

5 minutes ago, kcihtred2 said:

Budget (including currency): $1000 but rather not spend more then I have to

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Star Wars Battlefront 2, squadrons, retro things

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

Got a gifted 32 inch 1440p qhd 165 hertz and 27 inch 1080p 1440 hertz monitor.  Currently running a 1700, gtx 970 (and used to have 1080p monitors from a decade ago). The system isn't holding up with this. using about 450 gigs of storage right now. I can bring over my noctua nh-d14 if the stock cooling is crap. Though I usually keep my room very cool so not really a big issue

I realize I most likely will have to buy a prebuilt because of the craziness of the world. looking through slick deals to see what is being shown for deals.

gpu wise is a 1660 enough? or should I go 2060?

Honestly, your CPU is fine. If you really want to upgrade, something like a 3600 or 3700X would be more than enough. 

For GPU, a 1660 will be decent, but something like a 2060 or a GTX 1080 would work a lot better for this. 

10 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

For GPU, a 1660 will be decent, but something like a 2060 or a GTX 1080 would work a lot better for this. 

Or ya know, a 3070. But yeah, good luck finding any 3000 series GPU, tbf.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Honestly, your CPU is fine. If you really want to upgrade, something like a 3600 or 3700X would be more than enough. 

oh I have been trying with stock alerts for a gpu alone. but its gone about as well as you would think.

what are we talking difference wise. extra 20 fps or something?

1 minute ago, kcihtred2 said:

oh I have been trying with stock alerts for a gpu alone. but its gone about as well as you would think.

what are we talking difference wise. extra 20 fps or something?

It's going to be somewhere around 5-10%. Also don't give up with the stock checkers, people are still able to get stuff. I'd try for a 3060 (Ti), 3070, or any of the AMD Direct cards. Basically, be ready a little before 10AM EST on Thursday to open up a ton of tabs and try to get a good position in the line. You can score something like a 6700XT or 6800 for around that price point, and those cards would crush QHD. 

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's going to be somewhere around 5-10%. Also don't give up with the stock checkers, people are still able to get stuff. I'd try for a 3060 (Ti), 3070, or any of the AMD Direct cards. Basically, be ready a little before 10AM EST on Thursday to open up a ton of tabs and try to get a good position in the line. You can score something like a 6700XT or 6800 for around that price point, and those cards would crush QHD. 

10AM EST on Thursday? Is there a source you recommend to follow to know a few days ahead. All the bots I know are like its live good luck.

1 minute ago, kcihtred2 said:

10AM EST on Thursday? Is there a source you recommend to follow to know a few days ahead. All the bots I know are like its live good luck.

They've been dropping cards on Thursday for the past 3-4 months, and for the past month and a half they've dropped the cards at 10AM. I'm going off of patterns.

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

They've been dropping cards on Thursday for the past 3-4 months, and for the past month and a half they've dropped the cards at 10AM. I'm going off of patterns.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/717272914

thinking I might just do this and call it a day.

5 hours ago, kcihtred2 said:

I personally wouldn't recommend going from an 8 core to 6 core CPU. I would recommend a 2700 or 3700X if you can get it to work with your current motherboard. Otherwise, the 1700 is not that bad. I think you need a GPU upgrade mainly. I would recommend 3060 or 3060TI if you can find one. RTX 2060/RX 5600X if that is a little too much.

What's your power supply? That might also limit your opinions.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

I personally wouldn't recommend going from an 8 core to 6 core CPU. I would recommend a 2700 or 3700X if you can get it to work with your current motherboard. Otherwise, the 1700 is not that bad. I think you need a GPU upgrade mainly. I would recommend 3060 or 3060TI if you can find one. RTX 2060/RX 5600X if that is a little too much.

What's your power supply? That might also limit your opinions.

evga 650 watt

is losing 2 cores going to kill me? I don't do streaming and if I am gaming nothing is really going on the second screen

3 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Case is hot garbage with no airflow

Just upgrade your current pc, a 5600x or 5800x + b550 board (unless you already have a b450/x470) should do you well, not sure on the gpu though

I could just toss it in my node 804 and nh-d14. I generally keep my case and flip the guts online. board is b350 (prime b350m-a)

or just throw another $200 and toss my nh-d14 on this https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali564/p/83-360-194 Seems like the Thermaltake cpu cooler they are using is very crap

38 minutes ago, kcihtred2 said:

or just throw another $200 and toss my nh-d14 on this https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali564/p/83-360-194 Seems like the Thermaltake cpu cooler they are using is very crap

Actually a good pick

Case is kinda eh for airflow but good enough

You can swap your nhd14 on it to swap the thermaltake cooler

Good gpu

Decent cpu

Dual channel ram

6 hours ago, kcihtred2 said:

evga 650 watt

Oh that's plenty for a 3060/3060TI. Other opinions include 6700XT and 3070. It's a rough GPU market though, so pick up whatever you can if you go down a GPU upgrade route.

is losing 2 cores going to kill me? I don't do streaming and if I am gaming nothing is really going on the second screen

No, not really, especially since you are playing mostly retro games. If you're mostly playing retro games though, I don't think you need to upgrade your CPU. It would be nice to upgrade it because zen+ and zen2 are significantly better the 1st gen. This would make your overall computer experience nicer. I think you primarily need a GPU upgrade. If you're not seeing around 50% utilization of your current CPU, it might not be a big deal going down to 6 cores.

I mainly come from a stance upgrading should be a straight improvement. Going from 1700 -> 10400 means while you get the increased IPC + clock speed, you lose 2 cores which is more of a "side" grade.

Yes this would be good for your use case.

On 9/17/2021 at 11:49 AM, Jonathan Lee said:

Oh that's plenty for a 3060/3060TI. Other opinions include 6700XT and 3070. It's a rough GPU market though, so pick up whatever you can if you go down a GPU upgrade route.

No, not really, especially since you are playing mostly retro games. If you're mostly playing retro games though, I don't think you need to upgrade your CPU. It would be nice to upgrade it because zen+ and zen2 are significantly better the 1st gen. This would make your overall computer experience nicer. I think you primarily need a GPU upgrade. If you're not seeing around 50% utilization of your current CPU, it might not be a big deal going down to 6 cores.

I mainly come from a stance upgrading should be a straight improvement. Going from 1700 -> 10400 means while you get the increased IPC + clock speed, you lose 2 cores which is more of a "side" grade.

Yes this would be good for your use case.

and now its $1150.