Budget upgrades...

joonboi

Budget (including currency): $500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: emulation (rpcs3 preferred)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Currently have an ACER TC-895-UA92 (i5 10th Gen, 12gb DDR4 RAM) I simply want to up this system, so I can get the few emulators that I haven't been able to properly enjoy, to be more playable. currently can open rpcs3 and get in game, but it lags so much, that it isn't even worth it. my concern is mainly upgrading the M2 (it has 512GB) Upping the RAM (comes with 12GB; one 8gb one 4gb) and adding a GPU (which will MOST LIKELY force me to get a better PSU.

The first thing i would do in your case is upgrade the GPU. Your PSU only has 180w and because you just mainly play ps3 games i would buy a GT1030 as it wont require a PSU upgrade, make sure to measure your system to see if it can fit a GT1030, the slimmest one is about 35mm. And get the GDDR5 version as it makes a LOT of difference in performance

It wont be 60fps but it will be a playable experience (with that i mean 25+ fps in most games at 720p)

For 50+ fps i would reccomend getting a second hand gtx 960 or gtx 1050 ti and buying a 400w psu (you have to make sure you can actually change the psu because some motherboards have weird connections) but i dont think it would be possible

if you want to up the ram just get another 8gb stick to replace the 4gb one (make sure it has the same MHZ as your current 8gb stick)

I wouldn't bother with the gpu right now. Prices are garbage, and the best you can get is maybe a 1050Ti, but even that's overpriced.

Up the RAM to 32GB and add more SSD storage.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2PbWHz

Edited by GeorgeMKane

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

3 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

I wouldn't bother with the gpu right now. Prices are garbage, and the best you can get is maybe a 1050Ti, but even that's overpriced.

that wouldnt really help at all

4 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

he still would not be able to emulate any ps3 games

2 minutes ago, LightManipulation said:

he still would not be able to emulate any ps3 games

A GTX 1050Ti might do the trick, but it's not going to be amazing. I've seen the videos, and ps3 games can be tough to emulate on lower tier systems (aka systems with gpu's like 750Ti's and 1050Ti's).

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nTt7ht

5 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

A GTX 1050Ti might do the trick, but it's not going to be amazing. I've seen the videos, and ps3 games can be tough to emulate on lower tier systems (aka systems with gpu's like 750Ti's and 1050Ti's).

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nTt7ht

after checking it out i think upgrading the psu and getting a second hand gtx 960 or 1050 ti would be a good idea

7 minutes ago, LightManipulation said:

after checking it out i think upgrading the psu and getting a second hand gtx 960 or 1050 ti would be a good idea

The problem with pre-builts like this is that expandability is limited. Mainly expandability is limited to cpu, RAM, and storage.

The psu is very likely difficult to upgrade, and OP would need a better one to install the gpu. To get both would leave no room for a RAM upgrade, and 12GB isn't that great for gaming. According to others in the reviews on amazon, even Acer has difficulty recommending psu upgrades for this prebuilt. Likely because they didn't think that people would take that upgrade path.

3 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

The psu is very likely difficult to upgrade, and OP would need a better one to install the gpu. To get both would leave no room for a RAM upgrade, and 12GB isn't that great for gaming. According to others in the reviews on amazon, even Acer has difficulty recommending psu upgrades for this prebuilt. Likely because they didn't think that people would take that upgrade path.

there's adapters for the 6-pin motherboard connector online, but GPU clearance on it isn't great.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Thanks for all the suggestions! A quick clarification. as it stands, I can emulate ps3 games, (was playing Injustice earlier today) it isn't very good at it, (about 20fps, at 1080p) but it does work. I haven't opened the system except once to install my old 4TB HDD when I received it (was a birthday gift this year), so I didn't take a look at any of the connectors, but i feel that a low tier GPU and PSU would be my go to. I am not looking for a AAA gaming experience, simply a slight improvement to my current setup. I'll see about posting pics of the inside when I get a chance.

A look at the insides. Very open and light…. Not too sure what PSU I can get to cover the connection to the MOBO. And I’d have to measure the spacing for a GPU (may have to get something made for low profile…)

3ECAA494-AD54-4B3D-BF3C-35CB5B692336.jpeg