Looking to upgrade with a theme.

Killmails

Budget (including currency): NaN

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Deus Ex, SotTR, WoT, EVE, and other 1-offs

I've decided to upgrade my build into an 100% AMD / STRIX LC themed system.

Case: Lian-Li O11-D

Upgrades:

From Ryzen 5 3800X To Ryzen 9 5950X

From Noctua NH-U9S (P/P) To ROG STRIX LC 360 RGB (done)

From Gigabyte 2070S To ROG STRIX LC RX6900XT T16G

From Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 8G x4 To Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 3600 16G x4

From MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI To Asus ROG Strix X570-E (shipped)

From Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 To Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 (shipped)

From Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" To Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 (shipped)

From SeaSonic FOCUS PX 850 W To SeaSonic PRIME TX 1000 W

I have the following questions I'm looking to find an answer:

1) Support for the 3600MHz memory for CPU/MB and how does that relate to performance

2) With the GPU mounted vertically, I should have 2 options to mount the radiator - side and bottom. If I mount the radiator on the bottom, would there be any issues with pump/aio?

3) Any wrongs/mistakes I have made with doing this upgrade?

Horrible ssd choice

Sata ssds are completely useless when there are cheap drives like the kingston a2000 which do have dram cache and they have much faster speeds than some slow asf sata ssd, btw bad ssd choice, 970 evo is basically the same price as a sabrent rocket 4.0, a far superior gen4 nvme drive with speeds around 5500mb/s

Aio is completely useless unless you are looking to overclock or want silence, and asus aios are really overpriced, like atleast go for a better value aio like the liquid freezer aios, the liquid freezer 280 already beats a d15 whilst being quieter, and if you want rgb liquid freezer aios also have rgb (120, 240, and 360 only tho)

X570 is completely useless unless you are running more than 1 gen4 nvme ssd, a b550 tomahawk is all you need

Im gonna assume youve done a sidegrade and gone from 3200mhz cl16 to 3600mhz cl18, in that case you just wasted a whole lotta money just to add some rgb and 16gb extra ram, if you got the cl16 3600mhz kit then you are still wayyy overpaying for it so rip (3200mhz cl16 is equal to 3600mhz cl18)

Your current psu is already good, why even upgrade it?

Yeaaa some pretty questionable choices here but cant really do anything about most of them so

¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

On 9/14/2021 at 9:31 AM, Killmails said:

1) Support for the 3600MHz memory for CPU/MB and how does that relate to performance

Faster ram = more frames for the short answer.

Long answer: Depends on what you're doing. For some work loads the CL rating is more important, for others the speed is more important. Generally for gaming, there is only a small increase from 3000, 3200, 3600. Just run the XMP profile and you should be good to go.

2) With the GPU mounted vertically, I should have 2 options to mount the radiator - side and bottom. If I mount the radiator on the bottom, would there be any issues with pump/aio?

Side is better, top is ideal. If you mount the radiator at the bottom the air can get trapped in the pump and cause long term damage, shortens overall life of pump.

3) Any wrongs/mistakes I have made with doing this upgrade?

Custom PC is custom! Pretty hard to go wrong, main thing to watch out for is PSU, but 1000W will be plenty for your build. Your current build is already really good, and I wouldn't see a reason for most people to upgrade. I am assuming you want the most premium experience. Only thing I can really recommend for a better premium experience is consider the 3080TI/3090 so you can get the better ray tracing and DLSS experience. It also mines better if that's important to you. The 6900XT is still a good card and I don't think you will be disappointed by it. 

*runs away cause he mentioned mining*

2 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Sata ssds are completely useless when there are cheap drives like the kingston a2000 which do have dram cache and they have much faster speeds than some slow asf sata ssd, btw bad ssd choice, 970 evo is basically the same price as a sabrent rocket 4.0, a far superior gen4 nvme drive with speeds around 5500mb/s

Are you sure they are SATA? From the specs for both - they are PCIe, NVMe, with the 980 Pro even PCIe gen4

Aio ...

Yeah, that choice is just for looks 🙂

X570 is completely useless unless you are running more than 1 gen4 nvme ssd, a b550 tomahawk is all you need

Oh that is good to know, choice is primarily the STRIX theme, but I can easily consider switching both SSD to PCIe gen4 (already was thinking of it)

Im gonna assume youve done a sidegrade and gone from 3200mhz cl16 to 3600mhz cl18, in that case you just wasted a whole lotta money just to add some rgb and 16gb extra ram, if you got the cl16 3600mhz kit then you are still wayyy overpaying for it so rip (3200mhz cl16 is equal to 3600mhz cl18)

Oh I see, this is a very helpful. I guess I'll go with the 3200 CL16 kit (still to add the fancy RGB)

Your current psu is already good, why even upgrade it?

My calculation is that the system will be in the ~650W usage at peak, which is very close to the 80% rating of 850W PSU. I want to avoid that, personal preference.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Side is better, top is ideal. If you mount the radiator at the bottom the air can get trapped in the pump and cause long term damage, shortens overall life of pump.

That is what I was concerned about. Thanks I'm now considering putting the 360 (CPU) radiator on the side and the 240 (GPU) on the top.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

...3080TI/3090 ... mines better...

The 6900 XT is to make it all AMD build. I don't plan on mining with it, have plenty of 3070s doing that 😉

Thank you @Somerandomtechyboi and @Jonathan Lee for the valued feedback.

1 minute ago, Killmails said:

Yeah, that choice is just for looks 🙂

Well if you arent forced to go overbudget or downgrade something actually important (cpu, gpu, ram, etc.) Then i think its ok, though liquid freezer are better value and potentially better performing aios

And yes if it isnt obvious i go performance  +value >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything else, esp looks so thats why im biased towards good value options and cutting out uneccesary stuff for cost savings xD