980 Pro, Fresh windows install. No Drive Found

KM8103
Go to solution Solved by Arika,

You need to initialize the drive first.

since you don't have a way of doing it in windows throgh disk manager, you can do it through diskpart in the command prompt during installation

here's the instructions for it, you just need to worry about method 1

https://www.diskpart.com/diskpart/initialize-disk-4125.html

Hello.

Replacing the original SSD in my Dell Precision 7560 with a 980 Pro. 

Created windows usb tool

Took out the original SSD and replaced with a 980 Pro 1tb.

Boots to the usb and when i get to the screen asking where to install the OS it shows there is no drive installed. opened up bios and it shows no drive installed as well. I am currently unable to install a fresh set of windows on the new SSD because i dont have a computer with an NVME slot. Old HP is about 10 years old. 

From what my little bit of research it sounds like i may need to install the 980 pro driver but i cant do that because i cant even get windows installed to download it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

You need to initialize the drive first.

since you don't have a way of doing it in windows throgh disk manager, you can do it through diskpart in the command prompt during installation

here's the instructions for it, you just need to worry about method 1

https://www.diskpart.com/diskpart/initialize-disk-4125.html

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Followed the instructions listed there and cmd said that the disk was unable to be converted as its a CD rom or DVD.

Googled another set of instructions from: https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/initialize-hdd-ssd-for-free.html

and it appeared to work but windows tool still wont let me continue until i download a driver.

If it doesn't show up in BIOS, either the BIOS isn't updated enough to recognize it, the drive isn't seated correctly, or the drive is DOA. You shouldn't need to install drivers to get the drive to work, I believe Windows should have enough drivers to get it installed (at least for when I installed Windows on my 980 Pro). I would take the laptop back apart and remount the drive, it's possible it isn't seated fully correct and thus isn't working. Then, if that doesn't work, try doing a BIOS update on the laptop, and finally, contact Samsung to see if you can get a replacement drive because you believe yours was DOA.

double check the controller in the bios is set to ahci mode and not raid, as half the time windows doesn't have enough raid drivers to pick it up for install.

Hello everyone thanks for the replies.

1. Tried a brand new usb drive (32gb) with a new download of the windows creation tool, still no drive

2. Switched to AHCI mode, still no drive

3. installed old ssd to attempt windows update. Blue screen with inaccessible boot device warning. entered bios and set the original ssd as first boot option. restarted and blue screen with same warning. 

4. shut down, entered bios again and turned raid 0 back on. now it booted correctly.

whew. that scared me for a few minutes.  

5. attempted to download a bios update from dell.com/support however i was unable to as i lost admin password. 

ill also add i reseated the 980 pro multiple times with each attempt. the drive was pretty warm to the touch. I purchased the drive from best buy, luckily i purchased their protection plan. ill do some digging through all my records to find the admin password i set but I'm afraid i may have over written a document with all my password info that i saved on one of the usb drives i installed a windows tool on. Quite the ordeal. Thanks for everyone's help. I've been watching LTT and associated pages on youtube for about 6 months now and have learned a great deal there and from browsing this forum for the past couple weeks. 

Ill keep the thread updated 

Thanks again

Hello everyone, returned the first 980 Pro for another one and also picked up a 970 EVO plus.

same problem with both drives. Leads me to believe BIOS update is only option.

BIOS updated, 

3 drives, two 980 Pro’s and a 970 EVO plus all not found, not found in bios. Not found in the CMD under diskpart

not found in the windows installer

not found with AHCI on instead of raid zero.

I’ve tried all combinations and no matter what I do it’s like they’re not even there while connected.

does anyone have any other ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok found a friend who had an empty m.2 slot in their pc. Installed and had them open up disk manager to initialize the disk.

Installed into the laptop and got windows installed zero issues! thanks everyone for the help. All your replies made this possible. Thanks again