Upgrading my pc

HaaYc

Budget (including currency): $500-600 USD

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I want to upgrade my CPU and motherboard because they are having issues right now. Maybe I will need to change my CPU cooler too. I prefer air cooling. The build will use for gaming. Here is my current build:https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rzz6Cz.

Please give me some suggestions thank you.

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qLvjmk

The 10700F is an amazing value now. You probably don't need to upgrade the Hyper T2, but the Hyper 212 would be a bit quieter and the CPU would be a bit cooler. Plus it's under budget.

I disagree, 5600X is better. Also he can get decent motherboard for cheaper, So 5600X is better value CPU. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dfMVj2

1 minute ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I disagree, 5600X is better. Also he can get decent motherboard for cheaper, So 5600X is better value CPU. 

Fair enough, both are pretty good value. The 4 extra threads are useful if you need them, but I get not everyone will find a use for them. 

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Fair enough, both are pretty good value. The 4 extra threads are useful if you need them, but I get not everyone will find a use for them. 

7nm vs 14nm, Overcklockable vs not overcklockable, PCIe gen 4 support vs not having it, Larger L3 cache, So yes, you can say they tie in terms of performance, But what could be reason to choose 10700F over 5600X in this situation? 😄 

6 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

But what could be reason to choose 10700F over 5600X in this situation?

Workload would be my only answer to that question. AMD traditionally has much worse support for certain softwares. This mostly applies in the case of their graphics cards which are an effective joke for most computation usecases (even in the very rare case of them being supported by compute software) however it does also apply to their CPUs. While lack of software support is much less likely, I have seen plenty of examples of comparatively lower grade Intel chips like the 10700k easily running laps around a 5950x in things like CAD software. To be fair, I agree that the 5600x is probably the better buy in this case (or most given that most people are not one of the many flavors of engineers) but it is always a good thing to keep in mind. Higher raw power does not even matter when it comes to optimized applications.

22 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

7nm vs 14nm

Doesn't really matter. Performance is what really matters.

Overcklockable vs not overcklockable

Ryzen 5000 doesn't really benefit from overclocking, and while yes you can overclock it, the majority of people don't ever bother

PCIe gen 4 support vs not having it

Fair enough, but most thinks don't really benefit from it, especially in this use case.

Larger L3 cache

Fair enough. But again, performance is what matters, and if the i7 can keep up in a decent amount of workloads with less, why would it really matter?

what could be reason to choose 10700F over 5600X in this situation?

Because in games, there isn't going to be a noticeable difference between them. You'll be GPU bound thanks to the RX 480 with either of these chips, do you wouldn't be able to notice either way. If you don't need to worry about it, why not then just get the extra threads? They provide extra flexibility for what you end up doing on the system. If you really don't need those extra threads, a 10600F also exists, and while it is less performance than the 5600X, it's also ~$50 less and would provide practically identical results in most gaming workloads, thanks to that RX 480

44 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Doesn't really matter. Performance is what really matters.

Ryzen 5000 doesn't really benefit from overclocking, and while yes you can overclock it, the majority of people don't ever bother

Fair enough, but most thinks don't really benefit from it, especially in this use case.

Fair enough. But again, performance is what matters, and if the i7 can keep up in a decent amount of workloads with less, why would it really matter?

Because in games, there isn't going to be a noticeable difference between them. You'll be GPU bound thanks to the RX 480 with either of these chips, do you wouldn't be able to notice either way. If you don't need to worry about it, why not then just get the extra threads? They provide extra flexibility for what you end up doing on the system. If you really don't need those extra threads, a 10600F also exists, and while it is less performance than the 5600X, it's also ~$50 less and would provide practically identical results in most gaming workloads, thanks to that RX 480

I don't get it, You agree 5600X is better, But then disagree? 😄 

I don't get it, You agree 5600X is better, But then disagree? 😄 

I'm saying it depends. The 5600X is the better gaming CPU, by far. But, and this is the main reason I argue for the i7, the fact OP uses an RX 480 as their GPU means that for either of these CPUs, performance is going to be similar if not identical. Because of that, the extra cores of the 10700F would allow for more flexibility of workflows if they decide to mess around with VMs or streaming if they want to do software encoding. If they plan on upgrading the GPU within the next year, I would say that the 5600X is a better option, but if not the 10700F would be practically the better CPU IMO. 

On 9/5/2021 at 2:43 PM, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Do you have a decent B550M motherboard suggestion?

4 hours ago, HaaYc said:

Do you have a decent B550M motherboard suggestion?

MSI B550-A Pro is decent, Not high priced board.