Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dual psus?

Carbonado

I was looking to buy the O-11 Dynamic, and happened to read a section in their product page about " Dual PSUs capability for efficiency"

What efficiency do they refer to? Certainly not space, so power efficiency or something else? Is it really a whole lot more efficient to use 2 PSUs?

How do you set a dual psu system up anyways?

Lot of questions, but i'd be glad if someone helped me out! thanks!

image.thumb.png.31b85949ff9e00de20c96c8f3e7beb3e.png

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

Probably for the crazy people that have two RTX 3090  or something like that. 

It could make more sense to have two 850-1000w power supplies for such system and power each video card from one power supply, and you can connect two power supplies so that the second starts when the first starts (they make some adapter cable to connect the power on wires together)

I don't know, the claim of efficiency seems a bit of marketing. 

23 minutes ago, mariushm said:

the claim of efficiency seems a bit of marketing

that's what i thought too, seems like some marketing but I still cannot imagine how having 2 850Ws over one 1600W could be useful for 2 3090s. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

38 minutes ago, Carbonado said:

I still cannot imagine how having 2 850Ws over one 1600W could be useful for 2 3090s. 

Actually, 1600W PSU are very long (up to 200mm). Some case could not fit that 1600W PSU, so you gotta have to split the PSU.

Also, this is for those who doesn't have access to 1600W PSU (well, in my area, it is virtually none existence).

Also, I think this probably for those who want more than 1600W PSU, maybe 1800W or 2000W PSU. I'm not sure, but maybe in the future? Because we are starting to see high end GPU can chug in 500W of power.

Here's my take on this dual PSU setup:

You are using PSU (let's say 550W) and then you want to upgrade your GPU to RTX 3090. So, rather than buying a new PSU with 850W or 1000W PSU which can be expensive, you just buy another 550W PSU (which is cheaper) and plug in your GPU while continuing to use your existing PSU.

Hope that helps. This is a useful feature, but sadly, not many people may be utilising it.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

24 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Here's my take on this dual PSU setup:

You are using PSU (let's say 550W) and then you want to upgrade your GPU to RTX 3090. So, rather than buying a new PSU with 850W or 1000W PSU which can be expensive, you just buy another 550W PSU (which is cheaper) and plug in your GPU while continuing to use your existing PSU.

Hope that helps. This is a useful feature, but sadly, not many people may be utilising it.

Very interesting use case. This might actually be a good alternative given the case can support 2 psus. Thanks for educating me!