Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Multi GPU Rendering Machine. Please Help!!

Sourav89
 Share

Hi everyone!

 

I am planning to upgrade my old PC to a new workstation. But my budget is kind of limited. So, I am planning to go for the older Threadripper processors like the 2920/2990 with 2 x RTX A4000 GPUs. Now, I have 2 questions.

 

1. Shall I go for the Threadripper old versions or go for the newer Ryzen 7s or 9s?

2. RTX A4000 doesnt support SLI. But can I set 2 of them and use them to render my 3D work? I also see few creators using RTX 30 series GPUs instead of the workstation ones. DO these 30 series perform better?

 

At present my work is basically 2D or 3D imagery with very little video editing at 1080p. However, with the upgrade I am planning to make good composite videos and if possible bigger 3D scenes. My PC cant handle any more than 2 characters these days 😞.

 

All suggestions appreciated. Even if you have suggestions for a completely new rig, I am okay with that. I may not be technically sound, so your inputs will actually help me. 

 

Thanks, eagerly waiting for your views!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What programs are you using?

 

How much vram do you need for your renders?

 

Why use RTX A4000 cards? A 3090 would be cheaper than 2 of those, and much faster, and only use one slot.

 

Most programs don't use SLI for 3d rendering, so sli won't matter here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What programs are you using?

 

How much vram do you need for your renders?

 

Why use RTX A4000 cards? A 3090 would be cheaper than 2 of those, and much faster, and only use one slot.

 

Most programs don't use SLI for 3d rendering, so sli won't matter here.

Hi,

 

My primary 3D software - Daz Studio

Followed by Blender

Followed by Maya

 

Video Editing: Foundry Nuke, WS Filmora and at times Adobe Aftereffects

 

Regarding VRAM usage, I have a 1060 6GB now. I cant render scenes with multiple characters using my 1060 these days, even just for the image files which are crappy anyways. If I load 3 or more characters into the scene, the render switches to my poor i5 CPU which takes ages to render a simple scene. A super hero scene that i created with just 1 character, his clothes and the ambience took me 24 hours while rendering it on my poor i5.

 

Sadly, 3090s are not available these days and those available are very very costlier than the RTX A4000. Like I can get 2 or 3 RTX A4000 at the price of 1 RTX 3090 atleast here in India. And why do you think a 3090 will be much faster? I don't need much gaming stuff. Mostly I play RTS or World of Tanks as far as gaming is concerned. That's all. 

 

I want to make this machine for photorealistic renders.

 

Any thoughts about the processors?

 

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Sourav89 said:

 

Sadly, 3090s are not available these days and those available are very very costlier than the RTX A4000. Like I can get 2 or 3 RTX A4000 at the price of 1 RTX 3090 atleast here in India. And why do you think a 3090 will be much faster? I don't need much gaming stuff. Mostly I play RTS or World of Tanks as far as gaming is concerned. That's all. 

The 3090 has many more cuda cores and is much faster for rendering than the quadros, and I wouldn't get a quadro here. Get something like a 3080 or 3090 for much better performance.

 

THe 3090 also has more vram which allows of rendering more complex seenes

 

Id go 5900x/5950x over first gen threadripper, good amount faster, and cheaper boards, and not a eol platform.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The 3090 has many more cuda cores and is much faster for rendering than the quadros, and I wouldn't get a quadro here. Get something like a 3080 or 3090 for much better performance.

 

THe 3090 also has more vram which allows of rendering more complex seenes

 

Id go 5900x/5950x over first gen threadripper, good amount faster, and cheaper boards, and not a eol platform.

 

 

No, not the Quadro cards, I am talking about: https://www.nvidia.com/en-in/design-visualization/rtx-a4000/

 

But your suggestion is not at all wrong. The only limiting factor for me is that the cost of 3090 now is more than my complete budget 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Sourav89 said:

No, not the Quadro cards, I am talking about: https://www.nvidia.com/en-in/design-visualization/rtx-a4000/

 

But your suggestion is not at all wrong. The only limiting factor for me is that the cost of 3090 now is more than my complete budget 😞

Yea thats what they called a quadro. Id get a geoforce/gaming card here. no reason to pay extra for the pro rated cards. They cost more for the same performance. That a4000 is about the same as a rtx 3070, and you can probably get those for cheaper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×