switch or extra router?

So guys, my router is downstairs but I have a pc and xbox upstairs and what i want to do is connect them to the internet using a wired connection. I was going to use a switch but ive been told that if I use a switch I will only be able to have one of them connected to the internet at  time. So I was wondering if theres anything i can use to connect the both to the internet at the same time.

can you move your router upstairs? Is your internet service cable or phone-based (dunno the names AT ALL)

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

no its in my dining room connected to another pc, and its a cable router

You can use two devices hooked up to one switch at time....

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

jvkeizer what makes this switchdifferent to others that only let me have 1 device connected to the internet at the same time?

You can use a switch and have both devices connected to the internet. Als you should tell your friend to not start spreading around tech info if he doesn't know what he's talking about.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

jvkeizer what makes this switchdifferent to others that only let me have 1 device connected to the internet at the same time?

Just buy any brand named switch and you should be fine. It's basically plug-n-play.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

hes a computer technician at a pc store ahahaha so i thought he would know what hes talking about

There's no difference, you can use any switch you like. Just plug a cable in from your router and one to your pc and another one to your xbox and you're good to go

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

I use it partially as a Hackintosh. Don't judge me.

thank you! i aslo read earlier that i might have to change the ip adrress on the pc and the xbox to the same ip address so there in the same "group" or something like that?

"A switch is a device which enables you to connect computers and other devices to the network through the use of an Ethernet cable.  The switch is not capable of sharing Internet connection across the network.  However, what it does is that it allows more wired devices to be connected to the local network." does this mean i cant game online on my xbox and watch videos on youtube on my pc at the same time?

That is a very vague definition. Look at it this way... A switch does for networking what a phone splitter does for phone lines.

I was going to go somewhere else with this but the shirt story is use a switch it's what you need. If you use a router it will just be another failure point.

They were thinking of a Hub not a switch, a switch should do just fine... routers are switches essentially... only they can route packets and switch frames.. I think I am right on this.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

thank you! i aslo read earlier that i might have to change the ip adrress on the pc and the xbox to the same ip address so there in the same "group" or something like that?

To extend the amount of wired ports your router has all you need to do is buy a switch (as you already said)

The information that your friend told you is incorrect both with only having one device on at a time and changing any IP addresses.

So the setup goes like this, buy a switch, connect the switch to the router, plug all devices into the switch, if the switch is Gigabit (like the one linked) you will want to plug everything that is likely to talk to each other in the switch as they will then talk at Gigabit speeds (if the device supports it).

That is it simple as it sounds.

If you can only run one Ethernet cable to your room then put the switch in your room and then you have 4 Ethernet ports for yourself (assuming you buy a 5 port switch).

A router is what connects a WAN (the internet via your cable connection) to a LAN (your home network).
A switch uses what's called a MAC table to route traffic only on a single network (in this case your home network).
The MAC table links a port on the switch with a MAC address which is basically an id number for your device (more specifically the NIC in the device).

You require a switch. Any 4 or 8 port switch will do fine. Make sure you don't buy a hub as this is difference even though it will appear to do the same job.

You have to put them on the same "Subnet" Giving them the same ip address will give you an ip address conflict and connection will be spotty.

I think your friend was possibly talking if you plug straight from your modem into a switch. In this case there is no pat working and depending on how many ip addresses your ISP gives you you will run out of addresses to use. Thats what the router is for.

So pick up the switch @jvkeizer mentioned. (I use this one at my home) and plug a straight through into the back of one of your switch ports onto the router then plug it into your switch. and whatever devices you need plugged into it, it will all work fine.

HomeNetwork_en1.jpg

Also I may be wrong about your friend but if he means using a switch at all wont work. I suggest he reads a couple books on how a switch and router work.

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram