Should I return this SSD? (Uncorrectable Errors issue)

Azule
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
47 minutes ago, Azule said:

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advice about what to do with this Samsung 870 EVO 2TB I bought back in March.
I've been using it to store Steam and GOG games, the drive ended up almost full (less than 50GB left).

I decided to move all of those to a larger capacity HDD. While doing so, Windows gave me errors on a few files : it couldn't read them on the original drive.
This error popped up multiple times, and when it did, I chose Retry once or twice. Never worked, so I then chose Ignore. It was on small-sized games that I could redownload easily, so whatever.

Once all the files were moved, I checked the SMART data of the drive, and sure enough it showed issues : Uncorrectable Error Count, Reallocated Sector Count weren't at zero.

I did a one-pass secure erase with CCleaner, thinking that by doing a full swipe of the drive it would find and lock out all bad blocks (though thinking back on it I guess that was useless).
Then I used the Samsung Magician software to do a full diagnostic scan. It showed that all LBAs were good. Then an extended SMART Self-Test : it didn't finish and showed errors :

ms.png.5e442b01ebaefc9f07b76e3561843a78.png

And this is what Crystal Disk Info shows once the drive's been secure erased :

cdi.png.2d96176e47a95ab4f6405bd7f2c9cb5e.png

So I'm wondering, is it reasonable to keep this drive or should I return it ?
My logic is, if all bad blocks have been locked out then whatever it's fine, though maybe it's not and it'll continue to degrade ?

Thank you for your help.

If it was a HDD I’d say return it in a heart beat and you were lucky to get the data off that you did.  I know less about SSDs though.  Maybe return it regardless.  There shouldn’t have been any faults.  Serious manufacturing slip ups (multiple) for that to happen starting with low binned chips.  One would assume a Samsung drive would use Samsung parts but it might not have. Something got past quality control that shouldn’t have. 

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for advice about what to do with this Samsung 870 EVO 2TB I bought back in March.
I've been using it to store Steam and GOG games, the drive ended up almost full (less than 50GB left).

I decided to move all of those to a larger capacity HDD. While doing so, Windows gave me errors on a few files : it couldn't read them on the original drive.
This error popped up multiple times, and when it did, I chose Retry once or twice. Never worked, so I then chose Ignore. It was on small-sized games that I could redownload easily, so whatever.

Once all the files were moved, I checked the SMART data of the drive, and sure enough it showed issues : Uncorrectable Error Count, Reallocated Sector Count weren't at zero.

I did a one-pass secure erase with CCleaner, thinking that by doing a full swipe of the drive it would find and lock out all bad blocks (though thinking back on it I guess that was useless).
Then I used the Samsung Magician software to do a full diagnostic scan. It showed that all LBAs were good. Then an extended SMART Self-Test : it didn't finish and showed errors :

My logic is, if all bad blocks have been locked out then whatever it's fine, though maybe it's not and it'll continue to degrade ?

Thank you for your help.

47 minutes ago, Azule said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your help.

If it was a HDD I’d say return it in a heart beat and you were lucky to get the data off that you did.  I know less about SSDs though.  Maybe return it regardless.  There shouldn’t have been any faults.  Serious manufacturing slip ups (multiple) for that to happen starting with low binned chips.  One would assume a Samsung drive would use Samsung parts but it might not have. Something got past quality control that shouldn’t have. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 4 months later...

Same problem here purchased 870 on 8th of march 2021 started showing error counts and increasing rapidly, I read some reddit forum and that person also purchased in the month of march??