Easy Configuration to Screen share half a monitor

Hi, due to Covid I've found that my work environment has drastically changed, I've moved from Working out of an office to permanent working from home. (which I find great!)

However I've recently upgraded my home setup to better support a work from Home environment, I've recently upgraded from dual 27" 1080p in side by side configuration to a 34inch ultrawide 1440p. (with intent to go up to a 49" ultrawide because the 34" is too small for the work layout I require)
The issue that has risen from this setup change is that I work on cloud systems and need to constantly switch between RDP and Azure Portal (chrome) sessions with the project Architect watching via Microsoft Teams. Due to the 1440p ultrawide I can no longer just share my full screen as the text becomes unreadable during the compression/resize process on teams and I normally work in split screen mode anyway with my monitor divided into left and right. My current requirement is to share an application window and switch between them when changes. But it is very common to switch between them every couple minutes when problem solving connection issues, this leads to wasted time or forgetting to switch to the other app.

I need an easy way for me to be able to screen share just the left hand side of my screen on teams/web ex/zoom. I am using a work laptop that is already struggling, so it needs to be a simple to deploy process that isn't processor intensive.

As this is a new working standard for a lot of people, surely there is an easy solution to this problem.

Thanks for your help

Brian

43 minutes ago, CheesyRex said:

Hi, due to Covid I've found that my work environment has drastically changed, I've moved from Working out of an office to permanent working from home. (which I find great!)

However I've recently upgraded my home setup to better support a work from Home environment, I've recently upgraded from dual 27" 1080p in side by side configuration to a 34inch ultrawide 1440p. (with intent to go up to a 49" ultrawide because the 34" is too small for the work layout I require)
The issue that has risen from this setup change is that I work on cloud systems and need to constantly switch between RDP and Azure Portal (chrome) sessions with the project Architect watching via Microsoft Teams. Due to the 1440p ultrawide I can no longer just share my full screen as the text becomes unreadable during the compression/resize process on teams and I normally work in split screen mode anyway with my monitor divided into left and right. My current requirement is to share an application window and switch between them when changes. But it is very common to switch between them every couple minutes when problem solving connection issues, this leads to wasted time or forgetting to switch to the other app.

I need an easy way for me to be able to screen share just the left hand side of my screen on teams/web ex/zoom. I am using a work laptop that is already struggling, so it needs to be a simple to deploy process that isn't processor intensive.

As this is a new working standard for a lot of people, surely there is an easy solution to this problem.

Thanks for your help

Brian

Is your old 1080p monitor still around?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Is your old 1080p monitor still around?

Yes, I'm using one as an extra document (facebook/youtube/ltt videos) display monitor above my primary.
From time to time I use it but due to the viewing angle it is not comfortable to use as a primary display for more than 15minutes. It's not uncommon for me to spend the entire day in screen share, especially if we are doing DR tests where it is critical I have a second person look over every step I make (has the potential to bring down the company).
It wouldn't be viable to move it as I'd end up working off a monitor located in a different direction to what I am sitting at. Would also make the upgrade pointless and with plans to upscale to a 49" I need a fix that uses the primary.

If you are ok with doing a video call instead of screenshare in Teams/Zoom... :

You could use OBS and define a custom region on your screen to be captured and then use OBS Virtual Camera to make that feed available for other programs (like Zoom, Teams, Discord etc.) as a fake webcam.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

13 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

If you are ok with doing a video call instead of screenshare in Teams/Zoom... :

You could use OBS and define a custom region on your screen to be captured and then use OBS Virtual Camera to make that feed available for other programs (like Zoom, Teams, Discord etc.) as a fake webcam.

This was basically the best option we came to as well, capture the screen and display it as a feed, tricking Teams into thinking it was a camera or screen.
I'm not familiar with using OBS so I haven't sat down to set it up yet.
Was asking hoping there might be an application out there for this purpose that I just haven't been able to find.
Was also hopeful that some of the Windows 11 features might have had a built in fix but it looks like they have just doubled down on the screen split tool and not added any extra features to support working in the new world.

26 minutes ago, CheesyRex said:

This was basically the best option we came to as well, capture the screen and display it as a feed, tricking Teams into thinking it was a camera or screen.
I'm not familiar with using OBS so I haven't sat down to set it up yet.
Was asking hoping there might be an application out there for this purpose that I just haven't been able to find.
Was also hopeful that some of the Windows 11 features might have had a built in fix but it looks like they have just doubled down on the screen split tool and not added any extra features to support working in the new world.

OBS is fairly simple to setup, you'll see.

I don't know if we can blame Microsoft for not including it in Windows 11, I feel like this should be an application specific feature rather than an OS one.
That being said, Zoom does have an option to share a portion of the screen while Teams doesn't, even though it is a heavily requested feature. So I guess we do get to be mad at Microsoft after all heh.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

5 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

OBS is fairly simple to setup, you'll see.

I don't know if we can blame Microsoft for not including it in Windows 11, I feel like this should be an application specific feature rather than an OS one.
That being said, Zoom does have an option to share a portion of the screen while Teams doesn't, even though it is a heavily requested feature. So I guess we do get to be mad at Microsoft after all heh.

I wasn't aware that Zoom had a half screen share, that is really cool.
Well maybe MS will eventually save me... 
We were supposed to move to Zoom a few months back until the higher ups decided they didn't want to risk not knowing how to use the system and declared we would stay with barely usable webex... So teams is the better option.