5950X Temperature Question

13 minutes ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

Do you have any of the asus motherboard software installed? 

I do, yes. Just installed AI Suite III.

14 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Fans. Put some fans on it. 

Quick, easy and cost effective. 

Blowing under the monoblock / at the VRM?

Interesting. So you aren’t moving any air? I would try that too. 27c and my bag sticks to my leg a little.. it’s hot as balls in there if you aren’t moving any air 😄

AMD R9 5900X @ PBO | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12 V2
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1496 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, TL-B14, TY-143

17 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Interesting. So you aren’t moving any air? I would try that too. 27c and my bag sticks to my leg a little.. it’s hot as balls in there if you aren’t moving any air 😄

I have a fan blowing at me... just not at the PC 😛

1 hour ago, DarkeVortex said:

All good points. Definitely worried to run a CPU + GPU test to see what happens when the water warms up, but maybe I should hold off on that until it cools down a bit...

Have you tried running a GPU load to make sure the rads are working generally? Unigine Heaven could be a good option, since it almost exclusively uses the graphics card. Your CPU shouldn't get much of a workout.

If you saw the J2C vs GN troubleshooting livestream, Jay was running Heaven repeatedly and never even noticed that the CPU didn't have thermal paste.

48 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Have you tried running a GPU load to make sure the rads are working generally? Unigine Heaven could be a good option, since it almost exclusively uses the graphics card. Your CPU shouldn't get much of a workout.

If you saw the J2C vs GN troubleshooting livestream, Jay was running Heaven repeatedly and never even noticed that the CPU didn't have thermal paste.

Just ran Heaven. GPU was fine, 100% utilization and didn't push past 55C.

10 minutes ago, DarkeVortex said:

Just ran Heaven. GPU was fine, 100% utilization and didn't push past 55C.

Then it's looking more like a monoblock issue, either with the mount or the block itself.

I guess we haven't ruled out a problem with the piping to and from the block. But I'm not an expert on that.

Maybe you could take some pictures and post in the Cooling sub-forum, asking if anyone notices anything off about the setup, or if anyone has experience with that monoblock (or monoblocks generally).

2 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Then it's looking more like a monoblock issue, either with the mount or the block itself.

I guess we haven't ruled out a problem with the piping to and from the block. But I'm not an expert on that.

Maybe you could take some pictures and post in the Cooling sub-forum, asking if anyone notices anything off about the setup, or if anyone has experience with that monoblock (or monoblocks generally).

That makes sense, I will do that. The loop order for me here is Pump -> Rad -> Rad -> CPU -> GPU -> Rad -> Pump. So since the flow through the GPU is fine (at least the temps show that it's fairly normal) I want to say the flow through the CPU block is okay too, but what do I know 😛

Also noticed something weird about my water temp sensor; I think it's not reading great, on first boot in the morning it shows a temp of ~35C when ambient (and the water) are closer to 27C, and there's no way the water heats up 8C just from booting up and being on for 30seconds... So it might be overreading

1 hour ago, DarkeVortex said:

and there's no way the water heats up 8C just from booting up and being on for 30seconds... So it might be overreading

105w cpu (capable of much more when boosting) we can convert to around 360 btu/hr the second you turn it on. 

8c temp rise in half a minute? Sure why not?

The reading may have a 5% swing just as TDP is calculated.

8 hours ago, DarkeVortex said:

I do, yes. Just installed AI Suite III.

Have you given this a read? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 hours ago, Kinda Bottlenecked said:

Have you given this a read? 

I did read that… trying to make heads or tails of it. Sounds like I need to delete any ASUS apps, like armory crate and ai suite? I can give that a go. Wonder why you have to be in safe mode to delete those things?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2021 at 8:08 AM, DarkeVortex said:

That's an interesting test. I might have to do the same - I definitely am concerned given that I'm seeing 80C at a 3% load, but then again, I don't know if 100% load won't move the temperature much past 80C... (This is the package temperature read off of iCue, i'll be more thorough with HWInfo64 in a few moments here).

I typically have a few things running when I was talking about "idle" temps - GoXLR App, Discord, Synapse, iCUE are the main ones. On my 9700K, idle temps under a 360AIO were maybe 5-10 over ambient, certainly not 40...

Any recommendations here? Should I run your true idle test, and also run a load test to see what happens? If so, what numbers would be acceptable or indicate bad contact with the waterblock? I'm going to update my BIOS first, too - saw somewhere that that can sometimes fix random problems, so probably just a good idea overall.

The only times that my 5950x will exceed 75C is when I run  artificial loads Cinebench. When I am using genuine higher CPU tasks like Unity Dev or compressing avatar textures for VRChat and Neos, it stays at 70-75 max, while usually hovering at 5.0Ghz and temps fuctuate between 62-75 depeending on loads. It seems fine to me

AMD Ryzen 5950X | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | NZXT H510 Elite

Corsair Vengeance Pro 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz @ C18 | RTX 2070 Super

NZXT Kraken X53 240mm AIO | Corsair RMx Series 1000W | HTC Vive Pro w/ FBT VR

Edited by KohanaCoyote
specs

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | NZXT H510 Elite

Corsair Vengeance Pro 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super

NZXT Kraken X53 240mm AIO | Corsair RMx Series 1000W | HTC Vive Pro w/ FBT VR

2x 1TB M.2 Samsung 980 Pro | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO SSD | 4TB IronWolf | 2TB Barracuda

Main Uses: Desktop & VR Gaming, Unity & Blender, Python & C# Dev, DAWs/Abelton and Testing VMs