Convince me! (350d vs Arc Mini R2)

Hey guys,

So I'm going to be doing an mATX build for my first computer soon (hopefully) and I was originally going to get the 350d. After seeing so many recommendations for the Arc Mini R2, with little to no reason behind the recommendations, I've been wondering why so many people recommend it and if it is a better choice for me.

It's going to be used for gaming with a little bit of everything here and there, I may water cool it (Edit: the system inside, not the case :P) if I can be bothered later on and I don't care too much about noise as I use closed headphones.

So it's really down to value and design with me. I used to like the look of the 350d but the more I see it the more bland it looks. The R2 looks a bit too round for my liking but I might get used to it. R2 is slightly cheaper here. I like the SSD mounting plate things in the R2 and I feel it might be easier to get the airflow right in that case.

So... Pick one of the two and try your best to convince me to get it!

Use as much detail as possible, I hate seeing one line replies.

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

both are good just keep in mind that the 350D is only slightly smaller then something like a R4 so its almost pointless not to go atx then

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

i like the 350D but it's all personal, the only thing you have to chose between is atx or mini atx

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

i just built a new pc in a 350d, gotta say.. i think its my new fav case.

both are good cases tho, personal preference i guess.

PC: Corsair 900D | Corsair AX860 | Maxmius VI Hero | i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 | Sapphire Radeon 7950 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Win7 X64

HTPC: Silverstone GD05 Black | Corsair VS350W | AMD A6 5400K | AsRock FM2A75-PRO4-M | Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600 | Samsung 840 128GB | WD Black 4TBx2 | Leadtek Winfast DTV2000DS | LiteOn BD\DVD-RW Combo | WIN7 x64/XBMC

@SpaghettiCarbonara How about the Aerocool ds cube? It's a much more compact case than those two and is still micro atx. Great case that's really small and looks pretty nice and can still accomodate the longest GPUs and all that. It's also available in many colors and is silence optimized. My go to micro atx case if I were to go micro atx right now (IMO the 350d defeats the whole purpose because it's so big for a mATX case and the R2 doesn't look very nice and isn't much smaller either)

tweak_dk_AeroCool_DS_Cube_2.JPG

45.png

All the different colors:

Aerocool-Dead-Silent-Gaming-Cube-Case-Se

With a very long graphics card installed

montage+partiel.jpgOh and I forgot Linus did a NCIXPC build in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lQwYyEmkHY

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

I have the mini r2 and I really like it compared to my old build in a cm storm scout the layout is nice and very modular I have ripped out all the drive bays because I am only using 2 ssds and maybe a hdd in the future which I am either going to put the 5.25" bays back in  (for cable managemant aswell) or just hard mount it to the floor I will say it looks kind of bare but I plan on putting some acrylic in to cover up where the drive bays were.

I'll just list the defining points of why I bought it.

As for cable management there is enough room to hide the majority of cables and the rubber grommets are nice and stay in place.

The use of filters all over the build is great for stopping dust getting in and are pretty easy to clean especially the bottom filter.

Only cost me £55 compared to the £85 price of the 350d

Modular bays

Good radiator support (I have h105 in the top)

In built fan controller (Only supports 3 pins without adapters or a little modding by cutting off part of the plastic which I did)

SSD mounts on the back tray

Hope that helps.

My Rig : Zotac 780 3GB, i5 4670k, H105, M1211 650W, 8GB 2133mhz vengence pro, Mini R2, 144Hz AOC Gsync Monitor

Accessories : K65, Naos 3200, Superlux 681, Chord CCU1

I used to have a 350d and not to be nitpicky but I didn't like it that much. It was a b***h to cable manage in because there was no room really for routing behind the mobo tray, also it only came with 2 hdd slots etc. etc. 

I am receiving my Arc Mini R2 tomorrow as for all I can tell it is better and so much more liquid cooling capable.

Hope I helped :)

PC Specs:

New Compact Build

CPU: i7 8700k (Delidded)  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 1070Ti ACX 3.0 Black  |  Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming  |  Case: EVGA Hadron Air    

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000MHz  |  SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB  |  Monitor: ASUS PB287Q

OS: Windows 10  |  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus  |  Headphones: Steelseries Arctis 5

Surface Book 2 15"

CPU: i7 8650U  |  GPU: GTX 1060M  |  RAM: 16GB DDR3

Well I don't have the Arc Mini R2, and only a friend has the 350D, BUT:

I couldn't really use the Arc Mini R2 because I have a triple-slot gpu with 320mmm length, therefore both HDD-cages would have to go!
The 350D does not have endless space, but enough for a non modular PSU. That worked okay. And through the window, it looks nice!
And the 350D has the better looks in my opinion....but that's personal.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)