D0 error code after upgrading gpu

Zwarpshade

I built a new system back in the first of May 2021 with 

Ryzen 7 2700X 

G.skill Trident Z Neo 16gb DDR4 3600  (2)

Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 rev 1.1/1.2

Msi 1660ti 

Corsair Rmx 850 

And I got the new system up and running good as new I carried over the Ryzen 7 and 1660ti from my old build because I was still waiting on upgrading thanks to the shortages. 

I got my hands on a 3090FE finally and upgraded it yesterday but once I upgraded I got a D0 error code with my mobo cpu light on, no post and LEDs fans running. I tried checking on what would be the issue because I ran the system for 4 months no issues and now all I see about D0 (CPU initialization error) is that the CPU might be dead. 

I've tried reseating everything, clearing cmos, triple checked power cables, tried to get a boot on my old gpu (to no avail) and I get the same code everytime. I've only built 2 systems before so I'm not well rounded in this at all but I'm lost as to what to do. I was upgrading to a 3090 for school because I'm going into a lot of design heavy applications for my degree, and now I'm stranded right before classes with basically no hope in sight. I've spent an entire day going over fourms and trying to find a solution but I have yet to get it to work. 

Can anyone help me??

20210802_160229.jpg

Try using the old gpu?

Its a wild guess but maybe

Also try using the old cpu?

Tbh if non of those work i suggest buying some 99% isopropyl alcohol, dunking some on your cpu socket, cover it with something, then leave it for a day

This has saved my boards quite a few times

Just to be sure, is this picture supposed to be showing the D0 error code?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Just to be sure, is this picture supposed to be showing the D0 error code?

Yes the picture associated is the code it shows. 

26 minutes ago, Zwarpshade said:

Gigabyte Aorus Master X570 rev 1.1/1.2

BIOS up to date? X570 boards usually need to be updated to work with ryzen 5000 series

Does it boot with your old CPU?

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

9 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Try using the old gpu?

Its a wild guess but maybe

Also try using the old cpu?

Tbh if non of those work i suggest buying some 99% isopropyl alcohol, dunking some on your cpu socket, cover it with something, then leave it for a day

This has saved my boards quite a few times

I tried the old gpu and still get the same error. I don't have the new CPU as I wasn't able to get it yet. 

Pour isopropyl alcohol directly on the CPU socket? 

3 minutes ago, Zwarpshade said:

Yes the picture associated is the code it shows. 

That isn't D0. It's 00. Error codes use lower case d. 

00 also isn't an error code, it's typically the code that means "handed off to the OS, everything is good."

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Montana16 said:

BIOS up to date? X570 boards usually need to be updated to work with ryzen 5000 series

Does it boot with you old CPU?

I don't have the new CPU yet and I did update the bios when I built the system. 

I can try the newest bios available but I have no way other than q-flash since I don't get a display output.

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

00 also isn't an error code, it's typically the code that means "handed off to the OS, everything is good."

That code shows once the system is turned on, I've seen it cylce a couple codes then show 00 but that's after it boots, once I turn the system on it lights up and fans spin up pretty quickly, but I don't get any kind of display even using different ports on the gpu. 

7 minutes ago, Zwarpshade said:

That code shows once the system is turned on, I've seen it cylce a couple codes then show 00 but that's after it boots, once I turn the system on it lights up and fans spin up pretty quickly, but I don't get any kind of display even using different ports on the gpu. 

I'm no longer clear on what you're saying. You said the pic shows the code, and the code in the pic is 00? 

It's also perfectly normal for many codes to rapidly flash on the debug display when the PC boots, this is essentially reporting the system checking and initializing many different systems as part of the POST. 

17 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Or the code that means the board isnt even trying to boot at all, not an error code but more like dead system that doesnt even try to post

I usually see ff as the code for "handed off to the os" since its on my p5q and g31m

Usually 00 code is when my cpu isnt mounted properly or other stuff like dirty socket, then again i use decade old hardware so things will prob be different

17 minutes ago, Zwarpshade said:

Pour isopropyl alcohol directly on the CPU socket? 

Yep

Dont worry about sht breaking as ive done this to my boards and it has saved them from otherwise being "dead"

13 minutes ago, Zwarpshade said:

I've seen it cylce a couple codes then show 00

I guess your gpu just has a bad display output or you have a bad cable

Try using another cable or a new cable

If that doesnt work check the pcie power connections and reseat the gpu

If that also doesnt work then rma it

5 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I'm no longer clear on what you're saying. You said the pic shows the code, and the code in the pic is 00? 

It's also perfectly normal for many codes to rapidly flash on the debug display when the PC boots, this is essentially reporting the system checking and initializing many different systems as part of the POST. 

My apologies, I thought the code was D0 but I'm new to this so I didn't know it uses a lower case d. The picture is what it shows as soon as I power on the system and it does not change. 

Just now, Zwarpshade said:

My apologies, I thought the code was D0 but I'm new to this so I didn't know it uses a lower case d. The picture is what it shows as soon as I power on the system and it does not change. 

OK. In your pic, what is the little red light on the front edge of the motherboard, almost underneath the GPU? That looks to me like it's in the right spot to be one of the status LED's, explained on page 23 of your board's manual. Which one is it? 

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I guess your gpu just has a bad display output or you have a bad cable

Try using another cable or a new cable

If that doesnt work check the pcie power connections and reseat the gpu

If that also doesnt work then rma it

That happened before I swapped to the new gpu like a regular boot, now I just get the one solid code after swapping and my old gpu doesn't work either. I've tried a different cable but I'll try again. 

Rma the video card? 

Just now, Middcore said:

OK. In your pic, what is the little red light on the front edge of the motherboard, almost underneath the GPU? That looks to me like it's in the right spot to be one of the status LED's, explained on page 23 of your board's manual. Which one is it? 

That is the CPU led