First PC Build : Please send help !!

Hi! Thank you for stopping by, I've just saved up a little for my first gaming pc build, and am very lost in terms of best value + compatibility. Have been playing on a 10 year old computer my entire life so would just like to join my friends and play games without having to worry if I can run it at all let alone smoothly. After doing some research, this is what I currently have

Budget : approx 2100 AUD (1.5k USD), happy to go ~250 AUD more if there's worth performance wise

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Hoping for most games at 1080/1440, mainly FPS - CS:GO, Valorant, Apex, R6, Dead by Daylight, Minecraft, Steam Games : Modded Starbound + Terraria, Rust

Current Part List :  -----> here!!! <------- 

**the 3060ti is 1090$ from mwave right now instead of 1190$ 

Other: my current part list is a little over budget so would love alternative part recommendations. Happy to change to a 20 series GPU as I understand my requirements aren't that high, but my friends have warned about them not being worth compared to 30 series, and end of life considerations, as well as there being minimal stock in Australia. I am currently buying from amazon + mwave as I have found them to be cheaper, along with more stock and free shipping. But other major suppliers like scorptec and ple I trust as well. 

Monitors: Would appreciate suggestions for a budget twin-screen set-up, one for gaming @144hz, either 1080/1440p depending on the game, and one for lesser general use I don't really mind specs for (discord, web-browsing, spotify) 

I am hoping to buy ASAP as I am tired of getting 20-50fps in games, but from my (little) understanding the GPU market is mad overpriced right now, so can be patient if any major changes will happen within the next couple months.

Sorry if this post has been hard to read due to my lack of knowledge 😞 I have done quite a bit of research but get easily lost and frustrated,  trying to understand everything coming from minimal computer knowledge into a world of specifics, numbers and compatibility. I greatly appreciate any advice given thank you very much 🙂 

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/MFcwW3

This is what I would do to get the price down. A cheaper (yet better chipset) motherboard, a cheaper SSD (not quite as good as your original one, but should still be fine for desktop use), a cheaper case (plus easier to build in IMO), and a lot cheaper PSU (but still pretty good). You probably don't need a 30 series card, and if you can get something like a 2080 Super for like $800-900 on the used market, get it, it would be a much better buy. Don't worry about EOL or anything like that, it'll be 7-8 years before 20 series cards reach EOL. It basically comes down to if you can find a decent deal on a 20 series card (maybe you can, maybe you can't). 

As for monitors, I'm not gonna be much help. All I can really say is for the lesser monitor, look on craigslist or eBay for a cheap one, since for Discord and Spotify, a $30 monitor is all you really need. 

3 minutes ago, akscape said:

Hi! Thank you for stopping by, I've just saved up a little for my first gaming pc build, and am very lost in terms of best value + compatibility. Have been playing on a 10 year old computer my entire life so would just like to join my friends and play games without having to worry if I can run it at all let alone smoothly. After doing some research, this is what I currently have

Budget : approx 2100 AUD (1.5k USD), happy to go ~250 AUD more if there's worth performance wise

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Hoping for most games at 1080/1440, mainly FPS - CS:GO, Valorant, Apex, R6, Dead by Daylight, Minecraft, Steam Games : Modded Starbound + Terraria, Rust

My first advice is don't pay 1090$ AUD for a 3060ti
That's insane. That's bout what I paid for my 3080. That's twice the MSRP.

I know the price lowering sounds appealing ATM but you might be kicking yourself in a few month's time. Less than two years ago I got my hands on a Rx 580 for 140$ CAD when they were selling for 280$ because miners were getting rid of them. Miners are going to get rid of lower end card as better stock becomes available.

Build the rest of your rig and get a cheap rx 570 or a GTX 1060 on the second hand market. Sure you'll have shitty graphics for a while but wait for a year and that global shortage should have abated. If that's the case there will be a metric ton of used GPU on the Market.
You might even want to used the extra cash to get a better MB because the A series isn't so solid. Not a lot of IO, poor quality mosfats and so on.

If you feel lucky, you might wanna wait for the Ryzen5 5700G and skip the GPU entirely.

Also if your are shaving $$$, you don't need a cooler because the 5600x has its own cooler. it's something you can get later like your GPU.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

This is what I would do to get the price down. A cheaper (yet better chipset) motherboard, a cheaper SSD (not quite as good as your original one, but should still be fine for desktop use), a cheaper case (plus easier to build in IMO), and a lot cheaper PSU (but still pretty good). You probably don't need a 30 series card, and if you can get something like a 2080 Super for like $800-900 on the used market, get it, it would be a much better buy. Don't worry about EOL or anything like that, it'll be 7-8 years before 20 series cards reach EOL. It basically comes down to if you can find a decent deal on a 20 series card (maybe you can, maybe you can't). 

As for monitors, I'm not gonna be much help. All I can really say is for the lesser monitor, look on craigslist or eBay for a cheap one, since for Discord and Spotify, a $30 monitor is all you really need. 

Thanks so much for the speedy reply and better parts! Wow I was expecting maybe a year or two, but 7-8 years is more than far away enough for me to be happy with a 20 series until I look to upgrade. 

And an easier to build in case sounds amazing, saw my friend build one a while ago and would like to minimise fiddling around with tiny wires for hours. 

Thanks again!! I really appreciate it and your experience 🙂 

2 minutes ago, akscape said:

Wow I was expecting maybe a year or two, but 7-8 years is more than far away enough for me to be happy with a 20 series until I look to upgrade. 

For reference, NVidia just EOLed the 600 and 700 series, which came out in 2012 and 2013 respectively. By the time they EOL the 20 series, assuming the same 8-9 year difference, it will be 2027, by which time you'll probably be looking for an upgrade anyway. 

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

For reference, NVidia just EOLed the 600 and 700 series, which came out in 2012 and 2013 respectively. By the time they EOL the 20 series, assuming the same 8-9 year difference, it will be 2027, by which time you'll probably be looking for an upgrade anyway. 

Yeah, 2027 feels miles away right now. 

As Quickstrike said above, if I couldn’t find 20 series stock would it be better to lowball even further to a gtx 1060 or rx 570, perhaps even 1660 until there is replenished 30s in the market? Or is it too unknown when they’ll be back it is worth to just keep looking for 20s? 

1 hour ago, Quickstrike said:

I know the price lowering sounds appealing ATM but you might be kicking yourself in a few month's time. Less than two years ago I got my hands on a Rx 580 for 140$ CAD when they were selling for 280$ because miners were getting rid of them. Miners are going to get rid of lower end card as better stock becomes available.

Build the rest of your rig and get a cheap rx 570 or a GTX 1060 on the second hand market. Sure you'll have shitty graphics for a while but wait for a year and that global shortage should have abated. If that's the case there will be a metric ton of used GPU on the Market.
You might even want to used the extra cash to get a better MB because the A series isn't so solid. Not a lot of IO, poor quality mosfats and so on.

If you feel lucky, you might wanna wait for the Ryzen5 5700G and skip the GPU entirely.

Also if your are shaving $$$, you don't need a cooler because the 5600x has its own cooler. it's something you can get later like your GPU.

a 570 or 1060 6gb isnt bad tho lol

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

1 minute ago, akscape said:

Yeah, 2027 feels miles away right now. 

As Quickstrike said above, if I couldn’t find 20 series stock would it be better to lowball even further to a gtx 1060 or rx 570, perhaps even 1660 until there is replenished 30s in the market? Or is it too unknown when they’ll be back it is worth to just keep looking for 20s? 

It's probably not a bad idea to do. GTX 1060s would still perform pretty well in the games you play. Maybe also look at GTX 980s since they'll perform as well as 1060s but would probably be a bit cheaper. 

2 hours ago, akscape said:

Other: my current part list is a little over budget so would love alternative part recommendations. Happy to change to a 20 series GPU as I understand my requirements aren't that high, but my friends have warned about them not being worth compared to 30 series, and end of life considerations, as well as there being minimal stock in Australia. I am currently buying from amazon + mwave as I have found them to be cheaper, along with more stock and free shipping. But other major suppliers like scorptec and ple I trust as well. 

Monitors: Would appreciate suggestions for a budget twin-screen set-up, one for gaming @144hz, either 1080/1440p depending on the game, and one for lesser general use I don't really mind specs for (discord, web-browsing, spotify) 

I am hoping to buy ASAP as I am tired of getting 20-50fps in games, but from my (little) understanding the GPU market is mad overpriced right now, so can be patient if any major changes will happen within the next couple months.

Sorry if this post has been hard to read due to my lack of knowledge 😞 I have done quite a bit of research but get easily lost and frustrated,  trying to understand everything coming from minimal computer knowledge into a world of specifics, numbers and compatibility. I greatly appreciate any advice given thank you very much 🙂 

you might want to look at i5 10th or 11th gen to save money 

$200 for 2 fps isnt that great lol 

edit: 2-10 fps

-----------------

#

1 hour ago, Quickstrike said:

Woah I knew the GPU market was inflated but not by that much!! 

Will for sure take your advice and look into rx 570 / gtx 1060 / 980s and just deal with lower graphics for a while, in the scheme of things a worthy trade in the long run money wise. 

Didn’t even know the GPU came with a cooler thanks aha, will drop the spare cooler for now and look around for better MB such as the one RONOTHAN suggested. 

Thank you very much for the help 🙂 

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That PSU is horrible. That is the Green CXM, not the white label.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($398.00 @ JW Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($139.00 @ BPC Technology)
Memory: Silicon Power 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($120.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($139.00 @ BPC Technology)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB EAGLE OC Video Card  ($1199.00 @ Kogan)
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.00 @ BPC Technology)
Power Supply: MSI 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($105.00 @ Scorptec)
Total: $2189.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-03 07:28 AEST+1000

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

20 minutes ago, adarw said:

you might want to look at i5 10th or 11th gen to save money 

$200 for 2 fps isnt that great lol 

edit: 2-10 fps

thank you for the help ! 

all of my friends are running AMD CPU’s so I didn’t even think twice about intel’s budget options, but now will def look into these more if there’s that little of a difference in performance vs price !! 

13 minutes ago, akscape said:

thank you for the help ! 

all of my friends are running AMD CPU’s so I didn’t even think twice about intel’s budget options, but now will def look into these more if there’s that little of a difference in performance vs price !! 

amd was amazing compared to the i5 9th gen and is still good for high end cpus (you dont need one if your just gaming) but now intel stepped up their game.

i love competition between companies it makes things cheaper and better 🙂

-----------------

#