Coil whine no matter what PSU or GPU I use

Pixelfie

For the past few months my PC has had this annoying coil whine sound. I've tried multiple GPU's and PSU's and also RMA'd 1 GPU and PSU for nothing basically. Tried multiple combinations and the best seems the MSI Gaming X RX 5500 XT + RM650x.

i5-10400F

Tried 3 GPU's: Sapphire Pulse RX 5500 XT 4g, MSI Gaming X RX 5500 XT 8g & Palit RTX 2060

Tried 3 PSU's: 2x System Power 9 600w, 1x RM650x

2x8 HyperX Fury RGB 3200 CL16

ASRock B460M Pro4

Well, if the coil whine is still there after changing the GPU and P/S,  that only leave the motherboard.  You should run everything outside of the case and see where its really coming from.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

Some degree of coil whine is normal. Maybe you were just extremely unlucky. 

If you're running an open-ish system, it's that much more apparent.

8 minutes ago, Slayerking92 said:

Well, if the coil whine is still there after changing the GPU and P/S,  that only leave the motherboard.  You should run everything outside of the case and see where its really coming from.

The thing is that it's coming from the PSU. So I don't think my motherboard is the issue. Is it possible that this happens because the power outlet isn't grounded?

8 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

Some degree of coil whine is normal. Maybe you were just extremely unlucky. 

If you're running an open-ish system, it's that much more apparent.

I know, but it's so loud that I can hear it over my headphones. Only on the RM650x + MSI card I don't hear it over my headphones, but I still can when playing without. It even went above my Intel stock cooler when I still had that

9 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

The thing is that it's coming from the PSU. So I don't think my motherboard is the issue. Is it possible that this happens because the power outlet isn't grounded?

I know, but it's so loud that I can hear it over my headphones. Only on the RM650x + MSI card I don't hear it over my headphones, but I still can when playing without. It even went above my Intel stock cooler when I still had that

If the coil whine sounds the same all the time, it's probably motherboard and its VRM.. inductors can be really loud sometimes. Have you truly pinpointed the source? Maybe it's connected to overall power draw. idk.. sometimes the problem isn't the source of sound, but something else. In this case, motherboard.. I'd try shuffling that around. Or get a case with insulation. Like I have. I don't hear a thing, even though my gtx 1070 is talkative sometimes.

58 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

If the coil whine sounds the same all the time, it's probably motherboard and its VRM.. inductors can be really loud sometimes. Have you truly pinpointed the source? Maybe it's connected to overall power draw. idk.. sometimes the problem isn't the source of sound, but something else. In this case, motherboard.. I'd try shuffling that around. Or get a case with insulation. Like I have. I don't hear a thing, even though my gtx 1070 is talkative sometimes.

It's not always the same. If I get higher frames it gets louder / higher pitched. Even if I cap my frames it's still not a stable sound.

tried some parts outside of the case and it very clearly came from the PSU. I would love to try a different motherboard but I don't have one and since I RMA'd a GPU and PSU already for the coil whine I'm not sure if my motherboard would get fixed.

My case could very well be the problem, it's just some cheap €50 case (Antec DP301M)

I will try tomorrow on a grounded power outlet, maybe that's the issue...

pretty most of high end gpus will have coil whine, Id suggest just mute the sound inside your brain LOL
jokes aside, maybe try to put the pc further away?

12 hours ago, L1- said:

pretty most of high end gpus will have coil whine, Id suggest just mute the sound inside your brain LOL
jokes aside, maybe try to put the pc further away?

The 5500 XT isn't really a high end GPU. 

My PC is already the furthest away it can be. I may get a different case but I don't think it's worth the money