BIOS,UEFI,MBR,GPT

Arshia
Go to solution Solved by da na,

UEFI gpu and mouse support, let's address that first. Pretty sure what that means is that UEFI supports more graphics cards when you get into Windows, and more peripherals when you get into Windows, that a traditional BIOS does. That doesn't mean that your BIOS itself will be all graphically fancy and have mouse support, it just means that the system will overall have better GPU and mouse compatibility. You have a UEFI BIOS. UEFI is a classification of BIOS that helps the computer boot faster and initialize hardware more rapidly among other things. And it should support GPT HDDs.

PS I have a 2012 workstation with nearly the same AMBIOS version as you. It looks exactly as you describe it and it reads as Legacy/UEFI in Windows 10.

Hi. I'm a little confused about wheatear I have a BIOS or an UEFI. My laptop is quit old at about 9 years (Q2 2012). The BIOS under boot tab has an UEFI boot option which is enabled but my windows in system info lists BIOS Mode as legacy. also many people say that UEFI has better graphics and mouse support but mine is just gray and blue text and there is no mouse support.

BIOS Version/Date is American megatrends Inc. K53SD.205. 3/6/20212 if that's somehow useful.

1) DO I HAVE A BIOS OR AN UEFI?

2) CAN I HAVE GPT STYLE HDDS?

UEFI gpu and mouse support, let's address that first. Pretty sure what that means is that UEFI supports more graphics cards when you get into Windows, and more peripherals when you get into Windows, that a traditional BIOS does. That doesn't mean that your BIOS itself will be all graphically fancy and have mouse support, it just means that the system will overall have better GPU and mouse compatibility. You have a UEFI BIOS. UEFI is a classification of BIOS that helps the computer boot faster and initialize hardware more rapidly among other things. And it should support GPT HDDs.

PS I have a 2012 workstation with nearly the same AMBIOS version as you. It looks exactly as you describe it and it reads as Legacy/UEFI in Windows 10.

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

That was helpful. Thanks