M.2 NVMe SSD questions

Hi All Good day,

I am looking at a new NVMe SSD recently and notice recent SSD is getting faster and hotter, some even come with huge heatsink attached for better cooling.

For starts, below are my specs.

AMD Ryzen 1600

2x 8GB Corsair 3200MHz

Asrock AB350 ITX

GTX1070

Adata SX8200 Pro 2TB

My next SSD plan is Adata Gammix S70 2TB

So, my questions is:

1. Does the new NVMe SSD needs good cooling? Since I am using this Adata SX8200, it never goes beyond 70C.

2. Is the M.2 NVMe Extension cable any good? Performance drop or any other issue? 

3. Does PCIE3.0 extension cable able to support PCIE4.0 in the future if I am to upgrade my system to PCIE4.0 capable?

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Hi, to answer your question:

9 minutes ago, WildwestGoh said:

1. Does the new NVMe SSD needs good cooling? Since I am using this Adata SX8200, it never goes beyond 70C.

All NVMe SSD needs proper cooling to ensure their reliability and performance. SSD will automatically throttled down if the temperature exceed certain range (some SSD will throttle at 60c). So it is ideal to have a sort of heat sink to help make them cool. Speed also matters, as SSD that runs on PCIe Gen 4 protocol is going to be hotter than gen 3.

13 minutes ago, WildwestGoh said:

2. Is the M.2 NVMe Extension cable any good? Performance drop or any other issue? 

That depends on the quality and distance of the cable. Most cable that are well made experience slight drop in performance but not very noticeable.

18 minutes ago, WildwestGoh said:

3. Does PCIE3.0 extension cable able to support PCIE4.0 in the future if I am to upgrade my system to PCIE4.0 capable?

This is hard to say. Some PCIe extension cable that rated for Gen 3 can go up run gen 4 just fine, while some will experience issue when running gen 4 and some couldn't even support it. Depends on the quality of the cable as well. So, for the safe side, refer to the manufacturer manual and specification of the product.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

If you're already using an nVME drive there is absolutely no reason for you to upgrade just for that.

Don't get me wrong, if you have other things you'd like to upgrade for then by all means go ahead, but NOT just because of the drive. You won't even really feel the speed difference in day to day tasks.

Thanks for the replies, thing is I wanted to get a SSD upgrade for my laptop that only come with 256GB, so I might as well upgrade the desktop to a better one and I can put the slower one for my laptop.

I know there's not much of a difference for my only PCIE3.0 mainboard, but that performance value is just so tempting. Or is there other super value choice for 2TB? 

While on that, I need to have properly cooled SSD when gaming so that extension cable come into this, has anyone used such method?