External Hard Drive Doesn't Show Up

Go to solution Solved by Nosc0pingHopp3r,

For anyone else having the same problem this is how I think I fixed mine
Go to Disk Managment and then delete your External Hard Drive, then select create a new volume and follow the steps, It should fix the issue. Atleast that's how I think I fixed mine!

Hello,
So today I was going to edit some pictures and since I recently upgraded my desktop I had them in my external hard drive (It's my backup hard drive) but when I tried to plug it, it shows the light in the hard drive but doesn't connects to the PC, after that I tried to connect my pen drive and it also didn't work, I restarted my desktop and the pen drive worked, but I plugged my hard drive and it just didn't work and made the pen drive and all the other usb ports stop working aswell. I made a clean install of windows, I updated everything (drivers, windows, etc) but now the hard drive only appears after restarting the PC, If I unplug it and plug it again it just doesn't connects anymore. The external HDD works perfectly on my laptop and was working fine yesterday, any tips on how to fix it? it would be really important to fix it has I have all my photos and videos in there!

Specs:
Motherboard: Msi Mag B550 Tomahawk
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz
GPU: Geforce GTX 1060 6GB Turbo Dual
PSU: Corsair CX650M 80+ Bronze

Are you plugging it into the same USB slot each time? It could possibly be a short on that USB slot, which would explain the other behaviour your seeing. 

2 hours ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Are you plugging it into the same USB slot each time? It could possibly be a short on that USB slot, which would explain the other behaviour your seeing. 

Nope I plug it every single time in a different USB port in the front!
Also tried on the Motherboard USB Ports but it didn't seem to work either.
And USB Ports don't seem to be the problem has I connect my pen Drives to them and they work perfectly fine. What's more weird is that it was working just fine yesterday

8 minutes ago, Nosc0pingHopp3r said:

Nope I plug it every single time in a different USB port in the front!
Also tried on the Motherboard USB Ports but it didn't seem to work either.
And USB Ports don't seem to be the problem has I connect my pen Drives to them and they work perfectly fine. What's more weird is that it was working just fine yesterday

Strange, id suggest removing the actual hard drive from the external enclosure and plugging it in internally. 

14 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Strange, id suggest removing the actual hard drive from the external enclosure and plugging it in internally. 

Do u think that formatting the hard Drive could possibly fix the issue? Or would that be a waste of time?

21 minutes ago, Nosc0pingHopp3r said:

Do u think that formatting the hard Drive could possibly fix the issue? Or would that be a waste of time?

you cant format the drive unless windows can detect it, and if it could formatting would delete everything on it. So a no go on both fronts. 

15 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

you cant format the drive unless windows can detect it, and if it could formatting would delete everything on it. So a no go on both fronts. 

The windows detects the hard drive if I restart it with the hard drive plugged in the USB Port as I said above. And I'm also backing up everything from the hard drive to another PC

For anyone else having the same problem this is how I think I fixed mine
Go to Disk Managment and then delete your External Hard Drive, then select create a new volume and follow the steps, It should fix the issue. Atleast that's how I think I fixed mine!