How get netgear ac600 to work on pop os

teddyy

I recently got pop os on my old pc and wanted to use my usb wifi adapter on it for internet but I do not know how to do it. Helpp

2 minutes ago, teddyy said:

I recently got pop os on my old pc and wanted to use my usb wifi adapter on it for internet but I do not know how to do it. Helpp

what`s the output when you type lspci in a terminal? Copy and paste it here.

Its on a different computer so I can't really copy and paste but I will type it out.

Command 'Ispci' not found, did you mean:

command 'lspci' from deb pciutils (1:3.7.0-5ubuntu2)

Try: sudo apt install <deb name>

Thanks, what do I do with the file? Sorry

1 minute ago, Nayr438 said:

Keep the source close as you may need to re-install it after a kernel update.

This, you might also have to do sudo apt install git (not sure if it comes with Pop or not).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It says  fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au.git': Could not resolve host: github.com

Oh, you might be stuck in a catch 22. Does the machine have internet access without the WiFi adapter? If not you'll need to download the GIT Repo as a zip on another machine, copy it over and then build it.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Yeah it dosen't have internet without the adapter. How do I got about doing that?

Sorry, I forgot to mentioned that I download it on a usb and then transferred it to the pc running pop os.

1 minute ago, teddyy said:

Yeah it dosen't have internet without the adapter. How do I got about doing that?

Thinking about it, you can't. You need build essentials before you can build the package. Can you run a cable, even temporarily?

Nope, I don't have an ethernet cable long enough.

Just now, teddyy said:

Do you have a anddroid phone? If yes, then connect to your wifi and then connect into usb and turn on usb thethering. You can share your wifi via cable doing this (I discovered this accidentally while troubleshotting a dead NIC)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Thinking about it, you can't. You need build essentials before you can build the package. Can you run a cable, even temporarily?

This. there's a good chance you don't have the remaining tools and libraries to build the package.

You could download them individualy, but you will probably end up in a dependency cycle, which isn't fun.

My recommendation would be to temporarily move the system close to your router and connect it via ethernet for the process.

Just now, teddyy said:

Move the PC closer to the router? Without getting internet you cannot proceed, you need BE to build and the build has to be done on the machine you intend to install onto so its not like you can build on another PC and move the binary over.

I do have an android phone but no sims card, will it still work?

Just now, teddyy said:

I do have an android phone but no sims card, will it still work?

Yes, It just has to be connected via wifi.

I'll see if I can move it to the router.

Great! How do I do thethering? 

I'll see if I can move it to the router.

I would recommend quoting people so they can see your reply, otherwise we have no idea if you respond without checking the topic.

1 minute ago, teddyy said:

Great! How do I do thethering? 

Go into settings and there should be a section called portable hotspot and the thering there turn on usb  thethering.

It says I need to insert a sims card to use mobile hotspot.

Just now, teddyy said:

It says I need to insert a sims card to use mobile hotspot.

You actually after connecting to pc and wifi turn on this option (the grayed out one in the screenshot)

Screenshot_20210725-220021.png