CPU upgrade

Now that the 5600X prices and stock are back, will i see a big improvement over my 2600? Life events and health issues have distracted me from tech so havent been able to keep up.

Thanks for any replies

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

ASUS MG279Q, Corsair Carbide 275R

5 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Depends on what you do with your 2600. I would actually recommend waiting a bit for newer AMD CPUs though since they are not too far off in performance.

Will the next gen be AM4? I dont want to replace my MOBO

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair H105, Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite, Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz, EVGA RTX 3070Ti FTW3, Samsung 850 Pro / WD SN850 / OCZ Trion 150

1 minute ago, Wingfan said:

Will the next gen be AM4? I dont want to replace my MOBO

Everything I've seen about it indicates that Ryzen 5000 series is the end of the road for AM4, so if you want to keep your motherboard, a Ryzen 5000 series CPU is the biggest possible upgrade.

It really depends on what kinds of games you play. Looking at Hardware Unboxed's summary in their video on the 4 generations of Ryzen 600X CPUs, it looks like you wouldn't see too big of gains in the games tested unless you upgrade your graphics card, which are mostly AAA titles. The 2600X can max out a 5700XT even at 1080p, which is a stronger GPU than your 1070. Granted, the 2600 is a bit weaker at stock, but if you overclock it, it can easily match the 2600X in performance.

Basically, unless you game at Low-Medium 1080p settings for max FPS, you won't see an improvement until you also upgrade your graphics card.

It really depends on what you do with the PC. If you play certain games look up some benchmarks comparing the two with those games. Tons of benchmarks online to look at. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

5 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I just game really, watch streams. My 1070 is showing its age, my monitor is 1440p, 144hz, IPS. But a GPU is far off for me right now, im not paying these prices.
My 2600 is OC'd to 4GHz. So i wouldnt see any improvement with the 5600x? nothing that would be noticeable?

Just now, Wingfan said:

I just game really, watch streams. My 1070 is showing its age, my monitor is 1440p, 144hz, IPS. But a GPU is far off for me right now, im not paying these prices.
My 2600 is OC'd to 4GHz. So i wouldnt see any improvement with the 5600x? nothing that would be noticeable?

At 1440p, almost certainly not. There are a few games where Zen 2 and/or Zen 3 showed insane improvement over Zen+, but even in those cases, you're going to be primarily GPU bound.

The only game I can think of that would be a definite exception would be Civ 5 or Civ 6 vs AI, because there turn times are completely limited by the CPU, so you'd see about 25% better turn times with the 5600X. That's not nothing, and would be noticable, so if your favorite game is Civ, it could be worth it. (If you mainly play Civ against other people, though, then that isn't a factor at all.)

If you tend to watch streams while gaming, then maybe it could make a difference. I'd take a look at CPU usage with a program like HWInfo64 to see what your total CPU usage looks like when doing that. If it hits 100% a lot, then your CPU is getting maxed out trying to do both of those things at once, and you might notice some improvement with the 5600X, because you'd have more headroom for multi-tasking.

At 1440p you need a GPU upgrade first or play at 1080p on the more graphical demanding titles

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x