1070 ti GPU Heating My CPU - Any Suggestions on Cooling?

Caelan

Hi all

This heatwave through vancity has gotten to my PC. Normally the temperatures on my PC have been decent, but during the heatwave the lack of AC in my house hasn't helped things. Since I have been paying attention to my PC temps a lot recently, I have noticed that my GPU is heating my CPU up dramatically.

I attribute the heat increase to my 1070ti due to the placement of heat on the case (Coolermaster TD500), and the heat is directly level with the GPU. My cpu (Ryzen 3800x using stock cooler) will go from an idle temp of 60 degrees to 80ish+ when the GPU is put under load. The backplate of the GPU is burning hot.

My case has more than enough airflow (I think) with the 3 front intake fans + 3 exhaust fans chugging along...

Any suggestions on how to lower the temps here? I have put new thermal paste on and cleaned out any dust...

Should I be concerned about the heat to the rest of the components? my nvme backplate gets burning hot as it sits right above the GPU as well.

Thanks!!

Had a similar problem. Simply placed the GPU in a lower slot to increase the distance to the CPU. BIG improvement. Also have a front fan blowing over the GPU and an exhaust fan above the GPU.

Sounds strange. 

Do you know what speed your fans are running at? 

You might be able to easily check that with Dragon Center If you have an MSI motherboard. Not sure about alternatives. 

Might put in in a lower slot, that seems like it might increase the airflow a bit.

they tend to be running on max (1700rpm) with the cpu fan at 3000rpm.

maybe I should get a wider case at this point. Seems excessive considering the rest of the PC works just fine with the case