ssd for game storage

leonardmartin29
Go to solution Solved by Blue4130,
5 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

250 gb is media so not alot and yes that would be fine on a drive but i like having it on the desktop cause then its one click and im to it. convenience

It could still live on the desktop. Just make a shortcut to the location. 

The short answer to your question is no. There are no low cost 4tb SSDs. If you want low cost mass storage , go hard drive. 

ok so lets start of saying i didnt think i needed so much storage if i would have known i needed so much this would have been done differently but anyways here it goes. currently i have 2 samsung 970 evo plus 1tb nvme drives one for windows/ movies/ pictures/ and there are games on it because i ran out of space from the second drive. second drive is only for games. i have about 160 gb on the first drive and 100gb left from second drive. not alot eh. im thinking about getting something like a samsung 870 evo 4 tb and using it for games. but that is crazy expensive at about $614+ canadian to hold some games. yikes. i hate uninstalling games and reinstalling them when i wanna play them. any there any other reliable drives out there that are just as fast thought about WD blue which is about $579 but thats not that much in savings

2 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

ok so lets start of saying i didnt think i needed so much storage if i would have known i needed so much this would have been done differently but anyways here it goes. currently i have 2 samsung 970 evo plus 1tb nvme drives one for windows/ movies/ pictures/ and there are games on it because i ran out of space from the second drive. second drive is only for games. i have about 160 gb on the first drive and 100gb left from second drive. not alot eh. im thinking about getting something like a samsung 870 evo 4 tb and using it for games. but that is crazy expensive at about $614+ canadian to hold some games. yikes. i hate uninstalling games and reinstalling them when i wanna play them. any there any other reliable drives out there that are just as fast thought about WD blue which is about $579 but thats not that much in savings

Just get a hard drive and move your most played games to SSD, and occasional games on hdd? As you notice your playing some games more or less, you can just cut and paste things from hdd to ssd and Vice versa, steam and blizzard for example will not get mad at this (pretty sure they won’t, just have to point the steam client to the new source for that specific game, I’m sure googling this will help). 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

Just get a hard drive and move your most played games to SSD, and occasional games on hdd? As you notice your playing some games more or less, you can just cut and paste things from hdd to ssd and Vice versa, steam and blizzard for example will not get mad at this (pretty sure they won’t, just have to point the steam client to the new source for that specific game, I’m sure googling this will help). 

i for sure dont wanna go with a hdd far to slow for my liking. 

6 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

Do you really play that many games that often? If you do, WD blue is fine. Hard to justify spending that much just to hold your steam library though, thus the idea to move games around from drive to drive as you play them. You can store a lot of games on 1+ TB of SSD, and move things around as needed.

But, yes, if this is what you want to do, the WD blue is a great lower price but still well performing drive. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

20 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

How much space is taken up by movies/music/media? This does not need speed and lives happily on slow hard drives. 

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

How much space is taken up by movies/music/media? This does not need speed and lives happily on slow hard drives. 

250 gb is media so not alot and yes that would be fine on a drive but i like having it on the desktop cause then its one click and im to it. convenience

5 minutes ago, leonardmartin29 said:

It could still live on the desktop. Just make a shortcut to the location. 

The short answer to your question is no. There are no low cost 4tb SSDs. If you want low cost mass storage , go hard drive.