If I want to host a MC server on a PI, what os should I use?

I used to host a server, but when i realised that it tanked the performance on my main machine, I stopped doint that.

I decided I want to start hosting it again, and maybe have a small media sever on it, something like storing isos of old games or such on a couple old drive

But what OS should I choose?

I cant have it on a monitor most of the time, so having it be fully meant to be controled via the command line for SSH would be a huge preference

Its a 8gb Pi so id be fine doing a 64bit os if that is better, but I dont know.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I used to host a server, but when i realised that it tanked the performance on my main machine, I stopped doint that.

I decided I want to start hosting it again, and maybe have a small media sever on it, something like storing isos of old games or such on a couple old drive

But what OS should I choose?

I cant have it on a monitor most of the time, so having it be fully meant to be controled via the command line for SSH would be a huge preference

Its a 8gb Pi so id be fine doing a 64bit os if that is better, but I dont know.

Just use ubuntu or raspbian and put a vnc on it and view it with vnc viewer or something. Also totally doable with ssh.

What pi tho? Mc servers on a pi usually don't run great once you pass 4 people.

3 minutes ago, Jawa_Juice said:

This seems to use the standard minecraft server, I would be using PaperMC

5 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

I've hosted Minecraft servers before and I prefer to use Linux, distro doesn't matter. I usually just went with Ubuntu Server.

I was going to be using linux, its a pi, not much choice there.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Just use ubuntu or raspbian and put a vnc on it and view it with vnc viewer or something. Also totally doable with ssh.

What pi tho? Mc servers on a pi usually don't run great once you pass 4 people.

I mentioned it in the op, its a 8gb pi,  but ig having the verson would be good for that, its  a pi4 8gb

Since ubuntu server sounds like the way to go Ill just use that, but shoudl I use the 32bit or 64bit varient?

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I was going to be using linux, its a pi, not much choice there.

I mentioned it in the op, its a 8gb pi,  but ig having the verson would be good for that, its  a pi4 8gb

Since ubuntu server sounds like the way to go Ill just use that, but shoudl I use the 32bit or 64bit varient?

64 bit of course otherwise you'll only have 3.85gb of ram available.

It's not a ram issue its a single core performance issue mainly. There is a limit to what the pi 4 cpu can do on a single core.

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It actually supports quite the variety of server types. Refer to the Github docs.

7900X / 3090 / 64GB

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

64 bit of course otherwise you'll only have 3.85gb of ram available.

It's not a ram issue its a single core performance issue mainly. There is a limit to what the pi 4 cpu can do on a single core.

oh, yeah , duh, server 20.04 64bit it is

The pi will be running pushed to its max at like 2.1, it runs up there fine with my limited cooling ability

2 minutes ago, Jawa_Juice said:

It actually supports quite the variety of server types. Refer to the Github docs.

ope yep, your right

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler