Mostly for Work

Error 504

Budget (including currency): $2,000 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: autocad, 3d rendering, java, vb, vm, non-competitive gaming

Other details already have two 1080ti, so i'll probably just continue with sli, since gaming isn't the major usage. i also have couple of m.2 and sata that are of enough storage. i'll just need a cpu, mobo, ram, fanS, power supply. i got my eyes set on the 5950x. should i go for it, or just wait and hope for the price to drop when 6950x comes out? 5950x is currently being sold for about $1,000 CAD

thanks.

25 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

Budget (including currency): $2,000 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: autocad, 3d rendering, java, vb, vm, non-competitive gaming

Other details already have two 1080ti, so i'll probably just continue with sli, since gaming isn't the major usage. i also have couple of m.2 and sata that are of enough storage. i'll just need a cpu, mobo, ram, fanS, power supply. i got my eyes set on the 5950x. should i go for it, or just wait and hope for the price to drop when 6950x comes out? 5950x is currently being sold for about $1,000 CAD

thanks.

Old msrp for 5950 was ~$USA760, so it’s about a 25% premium. I don’t know what threadripper or epic processors are going for atm. Intel has made 16 core processors, sometimes much slower.  I don’t know what they go for either though LTT recently did a video on it.  5950 is 16 cores which is a lot of cores.  Apparently it’s single thread is slower than the 5900 which is 12 cores.  The big difference between the 5950 and larger but similar processors is that it has only 24 pcie lanes whereas the other stuff generally has multiple times as many.  If that’s all you need it’s all you need though. The 5900 may be unobtainium anyway.  Part of the problem is even with your descriptors the only one who can really tell what your needs are is you. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I don't think you're going to see the price drop as it typical when a new generation releases. Zen 4 will be on a new socket, with a new chipset, and with DDR5. Initial component prices are going to be insane, so there will be value in staying on AM4 just for the cheaper boards and RAM.

It's going to take a generation at least for things to settle down. This same thing played out when DDR4 replaced DDR3. People largely stuck with DDR3 systems just because the cost difference was too much for the average consumer to jump on the new tech.

Long and short, demand for 5000 series chips will remain high, and you're not likely to see any discounts.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Part of the problem is even with your descriptors the only one who can really tell what your needs are is you. 

it actually depends on the price of the cpu. according to autodesk, autocad utilizes only one core, but i think more-core will help a lot with the 3d rendering.

6 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Long and short, demand for 5000 series chips will remain high, and you're not likely to see any discounts.

ya, that's what i'm afraid of. i do have enough savings now for a 5950x+mobo+ram+psu+fans+case, but i just thought maybe the price would drop after 6950x comes out, but..... i guess not. 😞

thank you guys.

5 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

ya, that's what i'm afraid of. i do have enough savings now for a 5950x+mobo+ram+psu+fans+case, but i just thought maybe the price would drop after 6950x comes out, but..... i guess not. 😞

The work you do may benefit from a 5950X, but it's also not strictly necessary. I'm a programmer as well, so I was faced with a similar choice between the 5900X and 5950X. Ultimately, the 8 extra threads just weren't worth $200 for me. The other thing to consider is that the 5900X can actually be pushed much better than the 5950X, because it has more thermal and power headroom from the fewer cores. I'm running mine now at 4.6-4.7GHz all core and 5.1GHz single core. It obviously still doesn't beat the 5950X in multicore perf, but I closed the gap some.

The point is that sheer number of threads is only one factor. You don't necessarily need to go all out to still have a good time with the type of workloads you're talking about.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

18 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

The work you do may benefit from a 5950X, but it's also not strictly necessary. I'm a programmer as well, so I was faced with a similar choice between the 5900X and 5950X. Ultimately, the 8 extra threads just weren't worth $200 for me. The other thing to consider is that the 5900X can actually be pushed much better than the 5950X, because it has more thermal and power headroom from the fewer cores. I'm running mine now at 4.6-4.7GHz all core and 5.1GHz single core. It obviously still doesn't beat the 5950X in multicore perf, but I closed the gap some.

The point is that sheer number of threads is only one factor. You don't necessarily need to go all out to still have a good time with the type of workloads you're talking about.

the price difference between 5900x and 5950x is about $280 CAD..... maybe i could use that $300 to get more ram?

3 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

the price difference between 5900x and 5950x is about $280 CAD..... maybe i could use that $300 to get more ram?

Not impossible.  It depends heavily on what size files you are using and how much memory they will eat up. It becomes a question of most efficient use of funds.  Running out of ram and pushing to swap can REALLY slow things down, but until that happens more memory doesn’t help.  Knowing how much memory you will need can be important. If you buy the big cpu and not enough memory you will really want more but if you can then find the money for more memory you can fix it later.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Are you doing cpu or gpu rendering?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 hours ago, brob said:

Are you doing cpu or gpu rendering?

autodesk says autocad and revit both use cpu, and use only one core. but i also use illustrator but not as often as autodesk stuff.

Unless  you are doing a lot of rendering a 5950X is likely not worthwhile. You might want to consider an i9-10850K for its high clocks, 10 cores, and reasonable pricing.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Just now, brob said:

Unless  you are doing a lot of rendering a 5950X is likely not worthwhile. You might want to consider an i9-10850K for its high clocks, 10 cores, and reasonable pricing.

With intel you want to look at the complete package though because while the cpu is cheaper the board is sometimes more expensive but memory may be cheaper because intel can be less memory speed dependant.  It makes for a complex situation best simplified by looking at equivalent packages.   They’re often very very close.

21 hours ago, brob said:

16 cores might be overkill for me. i guess i just got caught up in that core-count number.

21 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

With intel you want to look at the complete package though because while the cpu is cheaper the board is sometimes more expensive but memory may be cheaper because intel can be less memory speed dependant.  It makes for a complex situation best simplified by looking at equivalent packages.   They’re often very very close.

maybe i should consider amd but with higher clock.

thank you guys.

Parts with 10850K: $1258.96

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/YXz7Vc

Parts with 5900X: $1434.95

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/z4Vcwz

Quick comparison of cost between AMD and Intel system. Yes, intel mobo is a bit more, but at the budget we're at does it really matter? If you feel like you need to extra cores (lots of multi-tasking), go AMD.

On 7/24/2021 at 9:53 AM, Jonathan Lee said:

Actually, if you don't plan to overclock the 10900f is a pretty good deal in Canada right now:

the clock is a bit low. autodesk products utilize one core, so i think i need a bit higher clock speed. now i realized how difficult it is to pick parts that suit me.

i think maybe 10850k or 5900x is a better option for me.

thanks.

2 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

the clock is a bit low. autodesk products utilize one core, so i think i need a bit higher clock speed. now i realized how difficult it is to pick parts that suit me.

i think maybe 10850k or 5900x is a better option for me.

What do you mean? 10850k and 10900f both have a boost clock of 5.2 Ghz. Although, you could potentially get higher clocks on an OC'd 10850K and 5900X

1 minute ago, Jonathan Lee said:

What do you mean? 10850k and 10900f both have a boost clock of 5.2 Ghz. Although, you could potentially get higher clocks on an OC'd 10850K and 5900X

i don't really do oc. i have never done oc, because i'm always worried about frying up my cpu or my gpu. i run everything stock. i'm sure it's nothing, and i have watched a lot of people oc cpu and gpu on ytube, but i got this fear from long time ago when there were frequent stories of people frying their cpu. maybe technology has gotten much better and safer now, but i have yet to try oc anything.

41 minutes ago, Error 504 said:

i don't really do oc. i have never done oc, because i'm always worried about frying up my cpu or my gpu. i run everything stock. i'm sure it's nothing, and i have watched a lot of people oc cpu and gpu on ytube, but i got this fear from long time ago when there were frequent stories of people frying their cpu. maybe technology has gotten much better and safer now, but i have yet to try oc anything.

ahh, I see. You can always enable MCE with Intel or PBO with Ryzen and it won't fry the CPU. However, I totally understand if you want to stick with the base clocks to be safe.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Rougher die roll with the 10850k than the 5900.  Gets into silicon lottery there.