WD_Sn850 NOT Booting in BIOS, But Boots in Windows Normally

Go to solution Solved by M.Laz,

It looks like you have a RAID configured. My guess is that the RAID driver/option ROM has control of the drive and that's why it's not showing up under the NVMe configuration menu. With only a single drive, you may want to consider disabling RAID support. I don't have any personal experience with NVMe RAIDs but I've heard they can be very frustrating. I believe there are some additional restrictions which aren't well documented for getting Windows to install and boot on an NVMe RAID device. 
I won't be much help with sorting all that out. 

If you just want to get up and running, and RAID isn't that important to you, I think the option to disable it is in the advanced menu (sorry I can't be specific, Asus's manual isn't great). 

I won't be able to give you any more replies until tomorrow as I've stayed up too late now. But I hope someone else will reply and help you get on the right track if my input isn't helpful. 

hi, i recently built my PC and everything works perfectly fine, but then whenever i turn on the PC, it doesn't immediately boots into Windows, but into Post / BIOS, then noticed that the NVMe is not detected.

So i have to manually go through the EZ Mode and go into the Drive to able to use the PC, everything works perfectly, the drive is detected in Windows, but not on the BIOS.

In addition, I've tried resetting CMOS, reinstalling Windows with (3 different USB) x3, unscrewing and adjusting the NVMe 4 times (even putting it in the 2nd slot), and there is no other Drives in this PC, so this drive is the only Boot Priority as #1.

Can someone please help or know how to fix this solution? Thank You (also this is frustrating, cause everything works perfectly, but it doesn't boot Windows sadly)

FULL SPECS:
Ryzen 9 5950x

3080 Founder Edition

x570 ASUS Dark Hero VIII

Trident Z Neo

WN_Sn850 1TB

What do you see when you get dropped into the BIOS? Are you doing a UEFI or legacy boot? My suggestions will be different based on if you are trying a legacy or UEFI boot.

5 minutes ago, M.Laz said:

What do you see when you get dropped into the BIOS? Are you doing a UEFI or legacy boot? My suggestions will be different based on if you are trying a legacy or UEFI boot.

yeah in the CSM the options is UEFI and Legacy option

Do you think you can take some pictures with your phone, upload them to a site like imgur, and post links to them here? 
If the system is set up for a legacy boot, my first guess is that there is a setting missing to load an option ROM that allows for NVMe boot, or something else that is preventing the drive from showing up in the BBS table (though I'm at a loss as to what it could be). But keep in mind that is just a guess.
If it's a UEFI boot, my first guess is there is an NVRAM boot option that is missing. Again, that's just a guess and there may be other issues like an improperly configured EFI system partition. For issues like that, there are instructions out there on using windows recovery media to boot to a command prompt and use bcdboot.exe to fix issues. 

But I'd like to help you figure out if you are trying to do a legacy boot and the NVMe drive isn't showing up in the BBS table or if its a UEFI boot and there is something wrong with the EFI system partition or a Boot???? NvRam variable.

6 minutes ago, M.Laz said:

Do you think you can take some pictures with your phone, upload them to a site like imgur, and post links to them here? 
If the system is set up for a legacy boot, my first guess is that there is a setting missing to load an option ROM that allows for NVMe boot, or something else that is preventing the drive from showing up in the BBS table (though I'm at a loss as to what it could be). But keep in mind that is just a guess.
If it's a UEFI boot, my first guess is there is an NVRAM boot option that is missing. Again, that's just a guess and there may be other issues like an improperly configured EFI system partition. For issues like that, there are instructions out there on using windows recovery media to boot to a command prompt and use bcdboot.exe to fix issues. 

But I'd like to help you figure out if you are trying to do a legacy boot and the NVMe drive isn't showing up in the BBS table or if its a UEFI boot and there is something wrong with the EFI system partition or a Boot???? NvRam variable.

here's the photos i took of what the states are, and addition photos of NVMe not showing in Configurations, but is on EZ

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

It looks like you have a RAID configured. My guess is that the RAID driver/option ROM has control of the drive and that's why it's not showing up under the NVMe configuration menu. With only a single drive, you may want to consider disabling RAID support. I don't have any personal experience with NVMe RAIDs but I've heard they can be very frustrating. I believe there are some additional restrictions which aren't well documented for getting Windows to install and boot on an NVMe RAID device. 

If you just want to get up and running, and RAID isn't that important to you, I think the option to disable it is in the advanced menu (sorry I can't be specific, Asus's manual isn't great). 

I won't be able to give you any more replies until tomorrow as I've stayed up too late now. But I hope someone else will reply and help you get on the right track if my input isn't helpful. 

2 hours ago, M.Laz said:

alright i turned off the RAID mode, and it finally showed up both NVMe in BIOS, but the problem of booting the PC up and having BIOS than the Windows comes up first still occurs, what should i do?

(EDIT) Thank you so much for your help! and it finally worked, the problem was the RAID mode and turning off the water cooling on the BIOS, have an amazing day!

Glad to hear you got it worked out! 
Maybe LTT can do an in depth tutorial on NVMe RAID since it seems to be a challenging thing to get working.

Hey there i got a similar problem with a 980 pro on a Asus Z170 Pro Gaming but without any raid setup. I got a thread on that could you help me there figuring out what is wrong with my system. I have tried quite a bit of stuff and nothing seemed to work.

@RexDomi Sorry I haven't been on for a few days to help. It looks like you have the issue sorted through 👍

Jeah by complete accident 😄 thanks anyways