New 3DS XL rear panels + possible modification

WhitetailAni

I've got a New Nintendo 3DS XL. The boring dark gray version with a black stylus and dark or light gray game cards. Gray on gray on gray with a small amount of black.

So I'd like to replace the rear panels. Not only due to aesthetics; the bottom panel is broken and currently stuck on with double-sided tape. This makes it annoying to access the microSD card, which I do a lot now. I CFW'd (Custom FirmWare) my 3DS so I could gen Pokemon for other Gen VI players. Not myself though, even though I could make all my Pokemon level 100 in an instant I don't.

I found this SNES-themed panel set that I like, but it's $40. That's not too big of a deal since I don't use my 3DS by staring at the outside, but I also can't find any other New 3DS XL replacement panels.

There's plenty of 3DS XL replacement panels, but no New 3DS XL panels.  And there's a difference.

The New 3DS XL changed a few things over the 3DS XL.

1. It moved the cartridge slot to the front, from the side.

2. It moved the stylus to the front, from the side.

3. It switched from using SD cards to microSD cards.

4. It put the microSD card slot under a removable panel, making it somewhat annoying to take out and put back in

The panel isn't too hard to remove - except when it breaks like mine did and the screws no longer stick into the holes. Taking off my panel is an... experience that requires a lot of patience and slow pulling.

Hence, I'm looking for recommendations for replacement panels, preferably under $20 or so.

I'd also like to modify the bottom panel a bit by adding a microSD door, of sorts. As mentioned before, it's a bit annoying to take out of the 3DS, so I'd like to make a few changes to the panel if possible.

My first idea was to just get a microSD extension cable and cut a small hole on the panel for the cable to go out. That idea failed though as there's only one kind of microSD extension cable being manufactured currently and it won't work - as shown by the image it doesn't extend out far enough and the cable is too wide.

Spoiler

61YntwHCOzL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

That led to another idea: Just remove the plastic around the microSD slot. I scrapped that one, too, since I would like to not accidentally remove my microSD card or lose it.

So I came up with a third idea: Add a little microSD access door somehow.

I'm not sure how I'd go about this. First thought was I could just cut all but one side and bend it up and down? Except it won't work because the plastic will wear out.

Another idea is to get a small hinge, cut out the plastic over the microSD slot, and then glue on the hinge to the panel and the removed plastic. It would need some form of locking mechanism though.

I looked around and there weren't any commercial modifications like this, so I've come here for help.

If there's any other info you need, please ask!

elephants

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

I've got a New Nintendo 3DS XL. The boring dark gray version with a black stylus and dark or light gray game cards. Gray on gray on gray with a small amount of black.

So I'd like to replace the rear panels. Not only due to aesthetics; the bottom panel is broken and currently stuck on with double-sided tape. This makes it annoying to access the microSD card, which I do a lot now. I CFW'd (Custom FirmWare) my 3DS so I could gen Pokemon for other Gen VI players. Not myself though, even though I could make all my Pokemon level 100 in an instant I don't.

I found this SNES-themed panel set that I like, but it's $40. That's not too big of a deal since I don't use my 3DS by staring at the outside, but I also can't find any other New 3DS XL replacement panels.

There's plenty of 3DS XL replacement panels, but no New 3DS XL panels.  And there's a difference.

The New 3DS XL changed a few things over the 3DS XL.

1. It moved the cartridge slot to the front, from the side.

2. It moved the stylus to the front, from the side.

3. It switched from using SD cards to microSD cards.

4. It put the microSD card slot under a removable panel, making it somewhat annoying to take out and put back in

The panel isn't too hard to remove - except when it breaks like mine did and the screws no longer stick into the holes. Taking off my panel is an... experience that requires a lot of patience and slow pulling.

Hence, I'm looking for recommendations for replacement panels, preferably under $20 or so.

I'd also like to modify the bottom panel a bit by adding a microSD door, of sorts. As mentioned before, it's a bit annoying to take out of the 3DS, so I'd like to make a few changes to the panel if possible.

My first idea was to just get a microSD extension cable and cut a small hole on the panel for the cable to go out. That idea failed though as there's only one kind of microSD extension cable being manufactured currently and it won't work - as shown by the image it doesn't extend out far enough and the cable is too wide.

Reveal hidden contents

61YntwHCOzL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

That led to another idea: Just remove the plastic around the microSD slot. I scrapped that one, too, since I would like to not accidentally remove my microSD card or lose it.

So I came up with a third idea: Add a little microSD access door somehow.

I'm not sure how I'd go about this. First thought was I could just cut all but one side and bend it up and down? Except it won't work because the plastic will wear out.

Another idea is to get a small hinge, cut out the plastic over the microSD slot, and then glue on the hinge to the panel and the removed plastic. It would need some form of locking mechanism though.

I looked around and there weren't any commercial modifications like this, so I've come here for help.

If there's any other info you need, please ask!

Sounds expensive. Know anyone with a 3D printer?  There are places that will print stuff for a fee if you design it. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.