Trying to find a way to provision my wisp bandwidth for each client based on priority

thDel

Hi, i'm planning to start a WISP, my plan is to have speed tiers with a minimum guaranteed speed (e.g. 25mbps) and any extra bandwidth on the uplink is shared based on priority,

so imagine there are three users online, one has a 50mbps plan and the other two have 25mbps plans, and there is a 250mbps uplink. 

How i would like it to work is if one of the 25m users is only using 10mbps and the other two are downloading games and are maxing out the connection, i would want the 50mpbs user to get 2/3 of the remaining 240mbps (total 160m) and the 25mbps user to get 1/3 of the bandwidth (total 80mbps).

I plan to use an edge router with poe connected directly to ubiquiti liteap gps sector antennas.

Is there any way for me to code this functionality into the edge router or do I need a more advanced solution like a router running pfsense

Many thanks.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Have you looked up the guides for the edge router on their website? They have a pretty good section for QOS, and allow you set have guaranteed bandwidth for clients/networks. https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/220716608-EdgeRouter-Quality-of-Service-QoS-Advanced-Queue

thanks for the reply,

im not too worried about guaranteeing bandwidth, my problem is trying to allocate the extra bandwidth based on priority. i couldent find anything in the documentation about that kind of advanced confuiguration.

1 minute ago, thDel said:

thanks for the reply,

im not too worried about guaranteeing bandwidth, my problem is trying to allocate the extra bandwidth based on priority. i couldent find anything in the documentation about that kind of advanced confuiguration.

I don't know of a easy way to do that, but you can set priority for different clients.

But also why are you doing it this way? Id do it like  most other ISPs, with a max bandwidth you give the user, and have that speed heavily overprovisioned. Most home users very rarely hit their max speed

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

I don't know of a easy way to do that, but you can set priority for different clients.

But also why are you doing it this way? Id do it like  most other ISPs, with a max bandwidth you give the user, and have that speed heavily overprovisioned. Most home users very rarely hit their max speed

this is a community project and i want to be able to offer people the best service possible instead of capping them. 

Just now, thDel said:

this is a community project and i want to be able to offer people the best service possible instead of capping them. 

Id really suggest just using the normal ISP provisioning here, you can give users more than they pay more, many ISPS over provision by about 10-20%. Makes it much easier.

How big is your uplink connection your working with? From what ive seen a 1 gig link is normally in the thousands a month.

But If you really want to do this, Id just use the priority in the QOS in the Edge router. It won't do it perfectly, but that shouldn't be a big issue here.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id really suggest just using the normal ISP provisioning here, you can give users more than they pay more, many ISPS over provision by about 10-20%. Makes it much easier.

How big is your uplink connection your working with? From what ive seen a 1 gig link is normally in the thousands a month.

But If you really want to do this, Id just use the priority in the QOS in the Edge router. It won't do it perfectly, but that shouldn't be a big issue here.

ok ill try it out thanks for your help