Ethernet suddenly stopped working with new router

Omara

i have been using a router provided by my  ISP for the last year or so, and yesterday i finally bought a TP-Link Archer VR400 router, the ethernet flat out refuses to work on my desktop, if i connect the same cable to a laptop it works fine, if i connect my desktop to another router by another ISP that i also have it also works fine, the issue is only valid on the VR400 and my desktop

after a lot of trial and error all i can see as a difference between my laptop and desktop is that my desktop uses Intel(R) I211 driver for the ethernet while the laptop uses Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller.

how can i get it work? my desktop is pretty much my gaming rig and it sucks that im using WiFi on it now instead of ethernet

intel.PNG

If you plug in the ethernet cable to your desktop and disable the WiFi, what's it look like?

Did you visit the default TP-Link gateway to set up credentials?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, tkitch said:

If you plug in the ethernet cable to your desktop and disable the WiFi, what's it look like?

this is what it looks like

intel.PNG

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Did you visit the default TP-Link gateway to set up credentials?

yes i did all of that, and if i take the exact same cable and plug it into my laptop, it connects the ethernet without a problem

Just now, Omara said:

yes i did all of that, and if i take the exact same cable and plug it into my laptop, it connects the ethernet without a problem

Did you download fresh drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Did you download fresh drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website?

i did download it from the appcenter thing it has, i have the x570 aorus pro wifi

2 minutes ago, Omara said:

i did download it from the appcenter thing it has, i have the x570 aorus pro wifi

Do you have another device visible on the network that you could ping from CMD? It would help to know what type of response it gives.

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Do you have another device visible on the network that you could ping from CMD? It would help to know what type of response it gives.

what do u want me to type in the cmd?

Just now, Omara said:

what do u want me to type in the cmd?

Ping, and then the IP of the device that you are trying to ping.

For example, "ping 192.168.3.4"

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Ping, and then the IP of the device that you are trying to ping.

For example, "ping 192.168.3.4"

the desktop is not drawing an ip via the ethernet, it is doing that via the Wi-Fi

Just now, Omara said:

the desktop is not drawing an ip via the ethernet, it is doing that via the Wi-Fi

If you disable the wifi you'd be able to get the type of connection error you're looking for. If it says, the request timed out, that means the Ethernet isn't doing anything at all.

Primary PC:

If you disable the wifi you'd be able to get the type of connection error you're looking for. If it says, the request timed out, that means the Ethernet isn't doing anything at all.

well that would make sense if i can ping the router itself from the desktop, but how can i ping the desktop from the laptop if the desktop is not getting an ip at all

Just now, Omara said:

well that would make sense if i can ping the router itself from the desktop, but how can i ping the desktop from the laptop if the desktop is not getting an ip at all

If there's no IP generated on the desktop then I'm not sure how to force one.

Primary PC:

do you have a different ethernet cable to try?  

Or shine a light into the ethernet plug on the motherboard, and make sure it's pins aren't mucked up?

If there's no IP generated on the desktop then I'm not sure how to force one.

the ethernet bulb on the router keeps blinking but never stays on, and every now and then i see the adapter on my desktop trying to reconnect but fails, still no ip at all

Just now, tkitch said:

do you have a different ethernet cable to try?  

Or shine a light into the ethernet plug on the motherboard, and make sure it's pins aren't mucked up?

unfortunately i dont have a cable long enough to reach the distance between that router and the desktop, but i tried another cable from the other router right next to my desktop and it worked 100% correctly, i dont think theres anything wrong with the mobo

4 minutes ago, Omara said:

unfortunately i dont have a cable long enough to reach the distance between that router and the desktop, but i tried another cable from the other router right next to my desktop and it worked 100% correctly, i dont think theres anything wrong with the mobo

You've confirmed the cable plugged into where its currently plugged into on the router works just fine with your laptop, that tells us the cable and router are fine. 

The only factor left that isn't confirmed to work is your PC/built in NIC. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

yes i have another laptop that is working on the same router using 2 different cables, 1 of those cables is the one im trying to put in the desktop, and the cable is working 100% fine on the laptop and when i switched back to the old router it was also fine, i dont think theres anything wrong with it

Just now, tkitch said:

when testing on the laptop, you disabled the wifi, right? 

yes

i have lost all hope, imma return the router and stay with the dummy one from my ISP, literally plugged it in and in 2 seconds it read my ethernet on my desktop and its all fine