GPU not detected, no fan spin, no display, not getting warm

Go to solution Solved by LmnSour,

You would have to find a layout of your PCB (buildzoid might have one) or find what the fuses look like and grab a magnifying glass. 

When you find your fuses, use a multimeter to check for resistance.  If you get 0 ohms, your fuse is blown.  

Whether you find the issue or not, there is a youtube channel of a guy that does GPU and motherboard repairs (he's kind of like Rossman but not as entertaining).  I'm sure you can mail your card to his shop and it might even wind up on youtube.  

Most local repair shops would be hesitant to work on a GPU.  Most of their bread and butter is from ripping off grandma who broke her phone screen.  But its worth a try.  

If you have a blow fuse, the issue you may run into is finding a replacement fuse so either you or the shop can just bridge the fuse with some solder or a wire but you will have to be careful as the next F-up will fry your card, not your fuse.  

Pretty much the title, computer crashed all of a sudden yesterday while plugging in a fan while it was powered on( yes it was, stupid of me to do so).

Gpu (rtx 2080 Super) showed temperature like -40c to -20c in msi afterburner. I removed the gpu and I noticed 2 smd came off the pcb, so i tried it without those and later got those soldered on to the PCB, still nothing.

After some windows recovery , i tried another GPU(gtx 1060 with DDU) and it works fine with games. But when i plug in the 2080 ,I get no display, no fan spin, just the gpu logo lights up, it doesn't even get warm.

Here is what i have tried:
Different pcie slot
Leaving it for an hour without turning on
wrapping it in anti static bag
reset bios
reset cmos
different power cables

tried booting up with the 2 gpu, 2080 is not recognized in the mobo bios

Thank you in advance.

Apologies for the grammar, and sorry if i missed out on something

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

The 2080 is damaged, did you plug the fan into the card or the motherboard?

It was 120mm fan, i plugged it into the motherboard's 3 pin port above the pcie slot

Ah that most likely caused a power surge to the card and killed it, there's not much you can do to fix.

Is there anything i can do to fix it? Thank you for the replies.

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Not really, you can bake it in the oven (really there is an ltt video on this) but thats about it

That's for reballing and soldering right? i don't want to risk it anymore.

Yeah that's called a reflow, it's to fix broken solder joints but likely that isn't your issue.

Yeah, thats not my issue then. Thank You

On 7/4/2021 at 9:58 PM, Mel0nMan said:

Yeah that's called a reflow, it's to fix broken solder joints but likely that isn't your issue.

Thank you for the answers and suggestions, i got my card working a bit( resoldering those smd at a shop). Using IGPU, it is now detected in bios, and with drivers it is now detected in windows and msi afterburner. It gets hot, i can apply my overclock settings and fan profiles. But i get no display, also the temperature shown to me in msi afterburner is -40c and 16000c in task manager. Could you help me?

Thanks again

45 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

That's an issue with the temp sensor, it's a hardware problem, that makes me think there's something wrong with the GPU die itself.

Yeah, i am pretty sure of it as well. I have tried flashing vBIOS as well.This is what my readings look like:

https://ibb.co/kMVH1G5 

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMscu5F_WWTOPG_HYZjCmU9066Y54lLw9G67Bb-8RysX1Gai1vqMgthFJt5R3SIMw?key=QjVuem04WndJMGFtaEgtWHdrallnMDhfMFJWdHJR

You might have just blown a fuse on the PCB.  Its not hard to fix if you can solder but I would recommend a repair store to replace the fuse. 

3 minutes ago, LmnSour said:

You might have just blown a fuse on the PCB.  Its not hard to fix if you can solder but I would recommend a repair store to replace the fuse. 

I would rather get it soldered at a shop. I checked for any burnt or damaged smd on the pcb but i couldn't find any. Can you tell me how a fuse looks like in terms of gpu PCB, there is no regular fuse on the GPU right?

You would have to find a layout of your PCB (buildzoid might have one) or find what the fuses look like and grab a magnifying glass. 

When you find your fuses, use a multimeter to check for resistance.  If you get 0 ohms, your fuse is blown.  

Whether you find the issue or not, there is a youtube channel of a guy that does GPU and motherboard repairs (he's kind of like Rossman but not as entertaining).  I'm sure you can mail your card to his shop and it might even wind up on youtube.  

Most local repair shops would be hesitant to work on a GPU.  Most of their bread and butter is from ripping off grandma who broke her phone screen.  But its worth a try.  

If you have a blow fuse, the issue you may run into is finding a replacement fuse so either you or the shop can just bridge the fuse with some solder or a wire but you will have to be careful as the next F-up will fry your card, not your fuse.  

2 hours ago, LmnSour said:

This is thoroughly explained ,thank you. I think the first step for me would be to locate the damaged (if) fuse and solder it via a shop. If not then, i will look into some local repair shops.

UPDATE: I found out that my card uses reference PCB, but i can't find on buildzoid's YT or anywhere. Could you please link me one?

Thanks a lot again.!

2 hours ago, MR_MEWWW_MEWWW said:

This is thoroughly explained ,thank you. I think the first step for me would be to locate the damaged (if) fuse and solder it via a shop. If not then, i will look into some local repair shops.

UPDATE: I found out that my card uses reference PCB, but i can't find on buildzoid's YT or anywhere. Could you please link me one?

Thanks a lot again.!

Buildzoid has a website somewhere.  I would help but I'm at work and most of the internet is on the wrong side of the firewall unfortunately.  

3 hours ago, LmnSour said:

Buildzoid has a website somewhere.  I would help but I'm at work and most of the internet is on the wrong side of the firewall unfortunately.  

I'll try to look it up. Idk how to use a multimeter, so am i in risk of damaging the smd on the PCB is just test all of them in resistance mode? Or if just test them in the wrong mode?

No, I don't think any of the multimeter modes will damage your card. 

42 minutes ago, LmnSour said:

No, I don't think any of the multimeter modes will damage your card. 

Thank you

On 7/7/2021 at 11:42 PM, LmnSour said:

Thank you for your previous help, i encountered something i needed your help with.

So, randomly GPU just started working, all games ran fine, everything was working correctly. So i didn't open my card and checked for shorts in fuse.

Until today, when i restarted my PC and i got no display ( it comes and goes off) and the absurd temperature reading is back again.

What i noticed is that  if i leave the PC unplugged for sometime and i use the inbuilt gpu and If i dont plug a display cable into the 2080S ( i get the display using the integrated GPU) the 2080S runs fine and reports correct temp and such, the moment i plug in a cable into the GPU ( after the pc has been left unplugged for a while), there is no display and again the problem is back.

Here are the front and the back of the PCB, can you atleast tell me where are the locations of fuse ?

front: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zFvB6gezuh9u69qz5

back: https://photos.app.goo.gl/whd16ScGdc15ZdBf8

I realize that i am asking too much from a complete stranger on the internet. But, so far this is the only place where i am atleast getting some answers. 

12 hours ago, MR_MEWWW_MEWWW said:

Thank you for your previous help, i encountered something i needed your help with.

So, randomly GPU just started working, all games ran fine, everything was working correctly. So i didn't open my card and checked for shorts in fuse.

Until today, when i restarted my PC and i got no display ( it comes and goes off) and the absurd temperature reading is back again.

What i noticed is that  if i leave the PC unplugged for sometime and i use the inbuilt gpu and If i dont plug a display cable into the 2080S ( i get the display using the integrated GPU) the 2080S runs fine and reports correct temp and such, the moment i plug in a cable into the GPU ( after the pc has been left unplugged for a while), there is no display and again the problem is back.

Here are the front and the back of the PCB, can you atleast tell me where are the locations of fuse ?

front: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zFvB6gezuh9u69qz5

back: https://photos.app.goo.gl/whd16ScGdc15ZdBf8

I realize that i am asking too much from a complete stranger on the internet. But, so far this is the only place where i am atleast getting some answers. 

NO WORRIES BROTHER!  We're all here to help; I've received my share of online help and support and its no problem to pass it on!

The fact that it ran eliminates a bad fuse so that's good.  We're making progress!

A few questions: when it worked, how long did it run, how long was it able to maintain a continuous load, what were the temps, and how well did it run overall?  If it ran just fine, its probably not a GPU issue.  

Maybe its not getting proper voltage at initial startup?  When you turn off your computer, do you keep your power supply on and plugged in?  Are you getting clean power to your house?  Is you PS good quality?  Are all your power connectors properly seated into the GPU and powersupply?  Is your PCI-E connector fully and properly seated? 

Just FYI, on power, Tripp Lite makes power conditioners and are highly recommended whether you are having issues or not (Amazon.com: Tripp Lite 1800W Line Conditioner, AVR Surge Protection, 120V, 15A, 60Hz, 6 Outlet, 6 ft. Cord, 2 Year Warranty & $25,000 Insurance (LC1800): Home Audio & Theater)

The other issue could be your GPU.  Maybe a bad cap on the GPU that's not providing proper voltage?  Maybe there is some dust buildup, liquid metal, or some other foreign object that is bridging/shorting something on your card? But if it ran just fine but its just not getting properly recognized at initial boot, I smell a bad power supply, power supply connection issues, or dirty power from your house.

One thing you can do if you have a second computer is try the GPU on the other computer to see if the problem persists. If so we know its a GPU issue.  If not, we know the issue is with something else in your main rig (probably power supply). 

Going back through the post, maybe the SMD's you soldered back on are not properly soldered and they are only intermittently working.  Maybe getting a proper repair done would fix it.

2 hours ago, LmnSour said:

NO WORRIES BROTHER!  We're all here to help; I've received my share of online help and support and its no problem to pass it on!

The fact that it ran eliminates a bad fuse so that's good.  We're making progress!

A few questions: when it worked, how long did it run, how long was it able to maintain a continuous load, what were the temps, and how well did it run overall?  If it ran just fine, its probably not a GPU issue.  

Maybe its not getting proper voltage at initial startup?  When you turn off your computer, do you keep your power supply on and plugged in?  Are you getting clean power to your house?  Is you PS good quality?  Are all your power connectors properly seated into the GPU and powersupply?  Is your PCI-E connector fully and properly seated? 

Just FYI, on power, Tripp Lite makes power conditioners and are highly recommended whether you are having issues or not (Amazon.com: Tripp Lite 1800W Line Conditioner, AVR Surge Protection, 120V, 15A, 60Hz, 6 Outlet, 6 ft. Cord, 2 Year Warranty & $25,000 Insurance (LC1800): Home Audio & Theater)

The other issue could be your GPU.  Maybe a bad cap on the GPU that's not providing proper voltage?  Maybe there is some dust buildup, liquid metal, or some other foreign object that is bridging/shorting something on your card? But if it ran just fine but its just not getting properly recognized at initial boot, I smell a bad power supply, power supply connection issues, or dirty power from your house.

One thing you can do if you have a second computer is try the GPU on the other computer to see if the problem persists. If so we know its a GPU issue.  If not, we know the issue is with something else in your main rig (probably power supply). 

Thank you so much for the reply,

" when it worked, how long did it run, how long was it able to maintain a continuous load, what were the temps, and how well did it run overall? "

I gamed on it for more than 10 hours yesterday (BattlefieldV, forza horizon 4, cyberpunk 2077, and rdr2 just to stress test),no crash nothing, temps never exceeded 70 c

" Maybe its not getting proper voltage at initial startup?  When you turn off your computer, do you keep your power supply on and plugged in?  Are you getting clean power to your house?  Is you PS good quality?  Are all your power connectors properly seated into the GPU and powersupply?  Is your PCI-E connector fully and properly seated?  "

I switch off the psu when i turn off the pc, i am using a UPS. My psu is cooler master g750m brozne. Connectors look fine to me

" The other issue could be your GPU.  Maybe a bad cap on the GPU that's not providing proper voltage?  Maybe there is some dust buildup, liquid metal, or some other foreign object that is bridging/shorting something on your card? But if it ran just fine but its just not getting properly recognized at initial boot, I smell a bad power supply, power supply connection issues, or dirty power from your house. "

It could be a bad cap, but i have checked the pcb with a magnifying glass. Found no debris, or any surface damage. I dont use liquid metal, kryonaut is applied as TIM. It gets recognized during boot but only if i leave it unplugged for sometime. 

" One thing you can do if you have a second computer is try the GPU on the other computer to see if the problem persists. If so we know its a GPU issue.  If not, we know the issue is with something else in your main rig (probably power supply). "

Yeah, thats what i am going to do, once covid restrictions eases down over here, i'll go to some decent pc repair shop and try it out in other PC

Going back through the post, maybe the SMD's you soldered back on are not properly soldered and they are only intermittently working.  Maybe getting a proper repair done would fix it. "

It could be the reason, but i didn't solder it myself. I took it to a mobile repair shop, where the guy did it under some microscope.

Again thanks a lot.