GPU won't post w/ CSM Disabled

walkthewalk

Looking to upgrade to Win 11, and need to enable secure boot. When I enable secure boot in my BIOS, it turns off CSM, which causes my GPU not to post. Had to pop out the battery on the MB and clear CMOS to get my PC booted back up. Does anyone know how to get my GPU to post with CSM turned off?

GPU: RX 580 - Sapphire Radeon Pulse 4GB

MB: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO Wi-Fi

image.png.b7bca6e4cbd22636e2e2dc3bfa3f3220.png

Probably BIOS related? Try update to a newer one?
Make sure you backup the original BIOS. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

20 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Probably BIOS related? Try update to a newer one?
Make sure you backup the original BIOS. 

Running the F12j BIOS which is the most current version.

31 minutes ago, walkthewalk said:

Looking to upgrade to Win 11, and need to enable secure boot.

Hope this isn't your main rig, Windows 11 is in dev channel currently, will have a lot of stability issues.

Try running DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers then shut down. Enable Secure Boot, see if Windows will use its generic VGA drivers and work, could be something with the AMD drivers not liking the swap from CSM to non-CSM. If it won't boot with the basic display drivers, try with your CPU's iGPU assuming you don't have an F chip, then install the GPU drivers once you get windows booting.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Hope this isn't your main rig, Windows 11 is in dev channel currently, will have a lot of stability issues.

Try running DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers then shut down. Enable Secure Boot, see if Windows will use its generic VGA drivers and work, could be something with the AMD drivers not liking the swap from CSM to non-CSM.

It actually does not even get to the point of booting up the operating system. It fails to post the GPU at all. The "VGA" status LED lights up.

image.thumb.png.140d5aad701ac67909d54fa721fdb395.png

1 minute ago, walkthewalk said:

It actually does not even get to the point of booting up the operating system. It fails to post the GPU at all. The "VGA" status LED lights up.

If you don't have an F chip, yank the GPU and see if windows will boot when using the iGPU. Removing as many variables as possible always helps when troubleshooting.

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

20 minutes ago, walkthewalk said:

Running the F12j BIOS which is the most current version.

I mean your RX580. 

If it come with Dual BIos, switch to the 2nd one. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

If you don't have an F chip, yank the GPU and see if windows will boot when using the iGPU. Removing as many variables as possible always helps when troubleshooting.

Please forgive me, but not exactly sure how this would help me. I don't want to use integrated graphics, I want to use my GPU. 

I know there is nothing wrong with my GPU, it posts just fine with CSM enabled. It just won't post with CSM disabled. I need to disable CSM, to enable secure boot (which is required for Win 11).

5 minutes ago, walkthewalk said:

Please forgive me, but not exactly sure how this would help me. I don't want to use integrated graphics, I want to use my GPU. 

I know there is nothing wrong with my GPU, it posts just fine with CSM enabled. It just won't post with CSM disabled. I need to disable CSM, to enable secure boot (which is required for Win 11).

Your computer will not boot. Your dGPU is not necessary for a POST, it's a variable that adds unnecessary complication. Remove it. If the system will POST without it, then the issue was the GPU not liking the switch from CSM to non-CSM. If it still refuses to POST, then the GPU was not the failure point, something else is the issue. Either way, if you have an iGPU, removing the dGPU should be the first step.

It could also be Windows itself just not liking the switch from CSM to non-CSM. I haven't tried switching from one to the other, but you have to build a different installer USB for Secure Boot (non-CSM) or CSM systems, so I'd wager windows itself does not want to boot after that switch, and the motherboard sees it as failing at the GPU initialization stage. May need a fresh install.

Main PC 

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Your computer will not boot. Your dGPU is not necessary for a POST, it's a variable that adds unnecessary complication. Remove it. If the system will POST without it, then the issue was the GPU not liking the switch from CSM to non-CSM. If it still refuses to POST, then the GPU was not the failure point, something else is the issue. Either way, if you have an iGPU, removing the dGPU should be the first step.

It could also be Windows itself just not liking the switch from CSM to non-CSM. I haven't tried switching from one to the other, but you have to build a different installer USB for Secure Boot (non-CSM) or CSM systems, so I'd wager windows itself does not want to boot after that switch, and the motherboard sees it as failing at the GPU initialization stage. May need a fresh install.

Thanks so much for the explanation! Will try this.

I have the same problem. I disabled CSM and turned on secure boot and it made it so i cant get my screen to work even if i clean cmos. My motherboard is Gigabyte B365M aorus pro with a 9400F and RX 5700XT. The LED is red at VGA signal.

Edit: Its fixed now. I had to clear cmos and try to get my pc to turn on backup bios multiple times and it worked.