Unraid GPU Passthrough Help Needed

Hi there I am new to Unraid so this may be a rookie mistake but I setup a Windows10 VM using the virtual display driver at first. A lot of the tutorials out there are getting old enough that they are becoming just out of date enough to cause issues. After some trial and error I got that to work fine. Then I attempted to pass through a newly acquired EVGA 3080Ti to the VM. When I try to boot the VM I get nothing. The status symbol still says stopped and the red arrows just keep spinning. If I move away from the VM Manager screen and try to come back the GUI never renders the VM manager again with no error codes. I should also note that when I try to reboot the server it never fully cycles down and I have to do a hard power off in order to reboot. I am assuming I did something wrong here. Can anyone shine some light on the issue for me?

35 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What hardware are you using?

Is there logs for the vm?

I'm using:
Ryzen 3900X
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

32GB Nemix ECC 3200Mhz RAM

3X 16TB Seagate Exos

1 TB Inland (Probably Corsair) Nvme 4.0 SSD

1 TB Adata NVME 3.0 SSD

1 TB Samsung 870 Evo

There does not appear to be any relevant events in the log as far as I can tell.

12 minutes ago, SRLRacing said:

I'm using:
Ryzen 3900X
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

32GB Nemix ECC 3200Mhz RAM

3X 16TB Seagate Exos

1 TB Inland (Probably Corsair) Nvme 4.0 SSD

1 TB Adata NVME 3.0 SSD

1 TB Samsung 870 Evo

There does not appear to be any relevant events in the log as far as I can tell.

Do you have a second gpu for the os?

Id realy just remove unraid from here, and run windows on the host, and use windows for the file share. Much simple to setup, faster and all the same file sharing utilities.

36 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have a second gpu for the os?

Id realy just remove unraid from here, and run windows on the host, and use windows for the file share. Much simple to setup, faster and all the same file sharing utilities.

No I don't have a second GPU for the host. 

That's what I was doing before but I lost a disk and it caused an unexpected amount of chaos and the slow access speeds when in a parity array were a little much even as a media server. I tried accelerating it with a SSD cache using some Windows Server tools but the performance was still subpar. 

1 hour ago, SRLRacing said:

No I don't have a second GPU for the host. 

That's what I was doing before but I lost a disk and it caused an unexpected amount of chaos and the slow access speeds when in a parity array were a little much even as a media server. I tried accelerating it with a SSD cache using some Windows Server tools but the performance was still subpar. 

What exact drive setup are you using? Ive done a lot of storage setups in windows and you should be able to easily fill gigabit networks, and it should easily be faster than unraid, a setup known to be slow. Id forget unraid here and go back to windows.

There is also drivepool + snapraid for that unraid like setup on windows, id try that here.

20 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What exact drive setup are you using? Ive done a lot of storage setups in windows and you should be able to easily fill gigabit networks, and it should easily be faster than unraid, a setup known to be slow. Id forget unraid here and go back to windows.

There is also drivepool + snapraid for that unraid like setup on windows, id try that here.

I had the 3 16TB drives setup as a Storage Space in parity. Used some command line trickery to get it to use the Samsung 870 EVO as a cache but only saw writes in the neighborhood of 25MB/s and the reads while often in the 70MB/s range could periodically be borked in a way to require me to restart my Plex server. 

With the unraid server I was hoping to have better IO performance to the point where I could run games off of a share (something I was unable to do on Storage Spaces in parity) as well as address a performance/reliability issue I kept having with my heavy multitasked loads and background processes by unloading some of those tasks to plugins and dockers. 

My entire life happens within Windows so I am happy to consider an alternative that can help me run the storage array in a manner that suites my needs while helping me cut some of the bloat that ends up causing my system to hiccup and hang. 

4 minutes ago, SRLRacing said:

had the 3 16TB drives setup as a Storage Space in parity. Used some command line trickery to get it to use the Samsung 870 EVO as a cache but only saw writes in the neighborhood of 25MB/s and the reads while often in the 70MB/s range could periodically be borked in a way to require me to restart my Plex server. 

That seems ofley slow. DO you know what exact commands you were using? 

Try making the parity pool without a cache to test the speed. If thats still bad, try drive pool + snapraid, or the raid 5 in disk management. Or get a raid card for the best speed.

4 minutes ago, SRLRacing said:

With the unraid server I was hoping to have better IO performance to the point where I could run games off of a share (something I was unable to do on Storage Spaces in parity) as well as address a performance/reliability issue I kept having with my heavy multitasked loads and background processes by unloading some of those tasks to plugins and dockers. 

It would be much easier to run games off a local storage, id really just use windows here. Tweak your drive config, it will be much easier and faster than running unraid.