Monitor skips frames unless reset back to the same exact hz it was when it was skipping frames.

mockedarche

So the title might be a bit hard to understand but heres it a bit clearer. I wanted to try overclocking my monitor just to see how far it could go yada yada I looked up this video

It shows a way to check for frame skipping its pretty simple set it up a few  hz and see if you have 3 squares on this test UFO Test: Frame Skipping Checker (testufo.com)

(check by taking a picture with your phone).

So I tried 150hz from my rated stable 144hz and it didn't work. But then I noticed something when I restarted my pc edge reopened the window and I saw with my eyes that one square was skipped so I took a picture and sure enough my monitor was frame skipping. I remember seeing it with my eye BEFORE i tried 150hz and just didn't think much of it (just tried higher and fail). So at this point it seems like my rated stable OC (rated by the monitor maker) isn't stable right. So I go down to 120hz and take a picture and it's perfectly fine so then I try 144hz again and ITS FINE. So now after testing restarting my pc makes my monitor frameskip on 144hz and it stays that way until I change it to 120hz (or any hz) and then 144hz again. I truly don't understand what this means. I mean it's not sometimes it skips I have tested it to a crazy extend once I reset it never happens again but before that it's constant. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20210626_111223.thumb.jpg.770bf0514b6d97b1f262537aa89a19b0.jpgIMG_20210626_111146.thumb.jpg.22e9abcbb8623a2f87a78bb4fd52dbed.jpg

There are more than a few “144hz” monitors that will only even do144hz in specific situations and are actually basically 120hz.  Same goes for “165hz” monitors.  They’re often really 144. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

There are more than a few “144hz” monitors that will only even do144hz in specific situations and are actually basically 120hz.  Same goes for “165hz” monitors.  They’re often really 144. 

What do you mean specific situations? As long as I reset it seems to do it always until reboot.

1 minute ago, Ohsnaps said:

What do you mean specific situations? As long as I reset it seems to do it always until reboot.

Like a specific setting that is more or less an overclock to start with and has various image problems or something.  Often these monitors have a default that is lower than the advertised frame rate.  Monitors seem to be following cpu progression with overclocking to a certain extent.  The manufacturer wants to be able to advertise and charge for any performance capability so a “faster” is often no faster but merely clocked harder.   I suspect overclocking monitors is getting as iffy as verclocking CPUs if not moreso. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

So after leaving it at 144hz for awhile the skip came back so my assumption at this point is simply the monitor can't handle the advertised spec. I got this monitor many months ago so can't really return it. While 120hz isn't too bad it kind of sucks to get ripped off because it seems like a company didn't test their product enough. If at 120hz the frame skip comes back ill then try 60hz and see if the issue returns if it does i'll know its something else.