Custom water loop idling cpu 60 degrees

wonderboy8

I have a custom water loop. my temps have always sat pretty high with it. Idk why. anyone have any reason why? it's all bykski parts, but I've seen good reviews on them. AMD 5800x fans are ramped to max in bios. my wife's $25 air cooler gets better temps... Please help thanks. Love the look of the custom loop. would like to keep. 

IMG_20210625_153944.jpg

Oh and it's  a 240 rad with two fans in push config from front of case

I'm not an expert on custom loops but I'll try to help.
Is this pump a PWM/DC one or SATA-powered?

What pump do you have?

What and how many fans are you using on the rad?

What kind of airflow are the fans getting?

I've personally used a Bykski waterblock on my 1080ti and it worked great until my CPU waterblock (not Bykski brand) leaked on it and killed it. Temps dropped like 30C

so we dont know what temps ur getting, we dont know the fans ur using, or the case 

20 hours ago, RTX 3071 said:

I'm not an expert on custom loops but I'll try to help.
Is this pump a PWM/DC one or SATA-powered?

its molex powered. bykski branded pump as well

20 hours ago, Zomeguy said:

What pump do you have?

What and how many fans are you using on the rad?

What kind of airflow are the fans getting?

I've personally used a Bykski waterblock on my 1080ti and it worked great until my CPU waterblock (not Bykski brand) leaked on it and killed it. Temps dropped like 30C

bykski branded pump. I definitely don't think flow is the problem. i use primochill and the flow is visible and seems plenty fast enough. 

2 fans on the 240mm rad in push config. they are the fans that came with the lian li lancool 2 non mesh. putting my hand in front of the rad i don't feel much if anything at all. 

19 hours ago, NorKris said:

so we dont know what temps ur getting, we dont know the fans ur using, or the case 

bykski branded pump. I definitely don't think flow is the problem. i use primochill and the flow is visible and seems plenty fast enough. 

2 fans on the 240mm rad in push config. they are the fans that came with the lian li lancool 2 non mesh. putting my hand in front of the rad i don't feel much if anything at all. 

6 minutes ago, wonderboy8 said:

pics of this plz?  also what are the temps?

But why you do custom water cooling if don't plan use for GPU as well ? You can just grab some top tier AIO 360mm and will get nice temps with less cost and you have way less problem.

On 6/26/2021 at 1:21 PM, NorKris said:

pics of this plz?  also what are the temps?

It thermal throttles pretty quick under load and 60⁰C idle

I took apart my system. I think it might be uneven mounting pressure. The thumb screws it came with are horrible. Imma try remounting and triple check that it's flat against the CPU. 

IMG_20210627_222219.jpg

On 6/26/2021 at 1:52 PM, Winterlight said:

But why you do custom water cooling if don't plan use for GPU as well ? You can just grab some top tier AIO 360mm and will get nice temps with less cost and you have way less problem.

I used to have a Vega 64 with a block. Temps were great. Used to have the whole system. But Got the 6800xt and this air cooler is pretty solid compared to the blower that was on the 64. redid my system to just have the cpu once I got the 6800xt. And I don't have much room/money to dump on a new water block for the 6800xt and 240 mm rad right now. 

I have a 5800x with all corsair hydro parts and mine idles high 50's but never throttles, gets into the low 80's at most. You could try increasing your pump speed if you have control to do so, or increase your fan speed, just to see if it makes a difference but the 5800x is a notoriously hot chip

3 hours ago, wonderboy8 said:

It thermal throttles pretty quick under load and 60⁰C idle

I took apart my system. I think it might be uneven mounting pressure. The thumb screws it came with are horrible. Imma try remounting and triple check that it's flat against the CPU. 

IMG_20210627_222219.jpg

ok ur not reading what im saying. im out

8 hours ago, Ravendarat said:

I have a 5800x with all corsair hydro parts and mine idles high 50's but never throttles, gets into the low 80's at most. You could try increasing your pump speed if you have control to do so, or increase your fan speed, just to see if it makes a difference but the 5800x is a notoriously hot chip

Fans set at max in bios. And this pump doesn't have any adjustments. But flow seems very fast. But this actually does make me feel a bit better. When I game it doesn't get too hot. Just under multithreaded and synthetic benches. And doesn't throttle till near the end of cinibench. Just thought I'd be getting better temps out of a custom loop. How big of a rad do you have and is your gpu in the loop too? 

6 hours ago, wonderboy8 said:

Fans set at max in bios. And this pump doesn't have any adjustments. But flow seems very fast. But this actually does make me feel a bit better. When I game it doesn't get too hot. Just under multithreaded and synthetic benches. And doesn't throttle till near the end of cinibench. Just thought I'd be getting better temps out of a custom loop. How big of a rad do you have and is your gpu in the loop too? 

My gpu is in the loop but I have a 2 360 mm rads so rad capacity is a non-factor for me